Is this enough of a truss rod curve?

IceGator8

Reaction score
I'm building a jig to cut the curved truss rod channel. I created this curve by bowing the truss rod and tracing the outline. Is this enough of a curve?

The vertical lines mark frets. Starting from left to right you have the 1st, 11th, and 16th frets.

Trussroddrawing.jpg

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
You are at the start of a build. If it is not a full bore replica, get a two-way truss-rod from LMII or Stewart-McDonald.I am guessing that you are showing us maybe 1/8th"? I don't know on an electric-more frets clear of the body than I have experience with.mt

IceGator8

Reaction score
I wrestled with the decision to use a dual action rod or a vintage rod. I decided I need to do a regular truss rod simply because the challenge of cutting one has really captivated me. I've got a sweet jig designed and a bunch of money tied up in the parts to build it. I just need opinions on whether or not I've designed enough curve into into the rod.

To answer your question at the highest point the curve you see is exactly 1/8". The way I've designed the jig the truss rod channel will be exactly 1/2" deep at it's lowest point.

IceGator8

Reaction score
You are at the start of a build. If it is not a full bore replica, get a two-way truss-rod from LMII or Stewart-McDonald.I am guessing that you are showing us maybe 1/8th"? I don't know on an electric-more frets clear of the body than I have experience with.mt

I'm actually in the middle of the build. The necks are roughed out and the body just needs have the top carved.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks good. When you install the board, clamp a mild amount of relief in the board with the rod loose, so that when it's static before strings you will have a couple turns on the rod. This will pre stress the rod to keep it from rattling and make for a tighter sounding guitar.

I prefer to do it this way instead of using double acting rods. At total center, they can rattle.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Let us know when the jig is up!

(much groanage)

I'm here all week, folks, try the waitress and tip the veal......

IceGator8

Reaction score
The jig is up the news is out
They've finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for the bounty.

Sorry, just had to channel my inner Tommy Shaw.

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm building a jig to cut the curved truss rod channel. I created this curve by bowing the truss rod and tracing the outline. Is this enough of a curve?

The vertical lines mark frets. Starting from left to right you have the 1st, 11th, and 16th frets.

Trussroddrawing.jpg

I just saw this, it looks good to me. I admire your diligence in your build:applause:

IceGator8

Reaction score
Thanks Roman. Believe it or not you inspired this. I never would have thought to trace the curve of a bent truss rod if you hadn't suggested it in another thread.

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Glad to help :thumb:

IceGator8

Reaction score
Looks good. When you install the board, clamp a mild amount of relief in the board with the rod loose, so that when it's static before strings you will have a couple turns on the rod. This will pre stress the rod to keep it from rattling and make for a tighter sounding guitar.

I prefer to do it this way instead of using double acting rods. At total center, they can rattle.

This brings up another question:

I plan on making the maple fillet match the bottom curve of the channel so that the rod will already be bent a bit. Will doing this accomplish the same thing?

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Greg and Roman are the experts here. I have wrapped the two way with metal tape and dabbed silicone between the elements(first). If the rods are totally neutral then there is a chance of rattle. But Any amount of load on a double done that way silences -in my acoustic experience. G & R, My gut reaction to his question was 3/16th- your comments? Greg needs to tell you how to do filler strip and control pre-load; again in my limited experience, how you fit that strip is a major part of his suggestion. A double loads either direction it is adjusted. Google Hoffman guitars and Mario Proulx-both are master luthiers who have detailed step-by-step including truss rod on their sites-very detailed. Last I knew they did traditional rods.mt( I thought I saw a tutorial of a Johnson build here that showed doing the filler.)

IceGator8

Reaction score
Greg and Roman are the experts here. I have wrapped the two way with metal tape and dabbed silicone between the elements(first). If the rods are totally neutral then there is a chance of rattle. But Any amount of load on a double done that way silences -in my acoustic experience. G & R, My gut reaction to his question was 3/16th- your comments? Greg needs to tell you how to do filler strip and control pre-load; again in my limited experience, how you fit that strip is a major part of his suggestion. A double loads either direction it is adjusted. Google Hoffman guitars and Mario Proulx-both are master luthiers who have detailed step-by-step including truss rod on their sites-very detailed. Last I knew they did traditional rods.mt( I thought I saw a tutorial of a Johnson build here that showed doing the filler.)

Interesting. I just Googled Hoffman and his method for cutting out the channel is exactly the same as the one I'm using. For some reason the Proulx site didn't work.

The Thruth

wizzard
Reaction score
where to buy a counterbore like this:
counterbore-5.jpg

robert benedetto is using the same like this on video, but where to buy this?
do i have to make it?

Latest Threads