Is this Custom legit?

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score

Interesting looking Custom. I noticed there was no binding on the back, but it's definitely not a lite. The board looks ebony. Says the year is 2011. If this is legit I'm going to snag it. Trying to find a good LPC at a reasonable price lately has been nearly impossible.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
I think SOME came with Richlite according to this read

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baked maple fretboards can be very dark. These had BM boards.

These were often sold new at discount for $1899 though original full price was $2299... so you can go from there.

I should add these differ than regular Customs in the inlays are acrylic not mop.

Last edited:

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baked maple fretboards can be very dark. These had BM boards.

These were often sold new at discount for $1899 though original full price was $2299... so you can go from there.

I should add these differ in regular Customs in the inlays are acrylic not mop.
Correct on baked maple fretboards. I have one and mine is very dark.

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just note these are Gibson USA instruments not Gibson Custom Shop. As such they should command $1500 - $2000 less than a regular custom.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ya find another, buy it!! Fantastic axes. The baked maple and the stock '57's P/Us are awesome. :)

Last time I looked, they were going for 2K-2.2K online. I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for a minty one.

'Sposed to have been only 400 of each color in 2011, but ya know how that goes.

They came in Ebony, Wine Red, White, Goldtop and Antique Natural (like mine). I think that was all of 'em.

endial

Reaction score
If ya find another, buy it!! Fantastic axes. The baked maple and the stock '57's P/Us are awesome. :)

Last time I looked, they were going for 2K-2.2K online. I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for a minty one.

'Sposed to have been only 400 of each color in 2011, but ya know how that goes.

They came in Ebony, Wine Red, White, Goldtop and Antique Natural (like mine). I think that was all of 'em.
I have never seen a bad review of these. I almost got one, but passed for my R7 Custom. It was not any easy decision, as it played and sounded marvelous.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Well it's gone now.
Yeah because I bought it lol. Didn't pay full price, but I don't think I overpaid too much. It was mentioned these aren't Custom Shop models which is true, but there are a lot of Custom models that aren't CS made and I've seen them priced higher. I had a 2002 LP Custom with an ebony board that wasn't a CS model. Paid $2200 for it 4 years ago. I think they started making all Customs in the Custom Shop 2003 - present with the exception of the Classic Custom and the Custom Lite.

I actually think this might be the Custom Classic Plus from 2011 since it has a richlite board. I have no idea what the used market is for this model. I've never seen one like it before and I can't find another one. All I know is I think I'm going to like it a lot. I've been looking for another LP Custom for months and every one I see on Reverb is way overpriced, and when I say overpriced I mean like 30% - 40$ higher than what it's worth. I bought another CS Custom 3 years ago for $2850. Every other CS Custom I see is $3300 plus, and most on the lower end are in poor condition.

^ That is the exact guitar I had 4 years ago and purchased it for $2200. It's not a CS model. The guy is asking $3700 LOL.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Glad you're happy! These guitars were $1500-$1800 a while back but as with everything lately people think they're worth way more.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think this might be the Custom Classic Plus from 2011 since it has a richlite board.
If it's a 2011 Custom Classic (they didn't have any Plus monikers) it has Baked Maple for a fretboard. All of them were baked maple--they did not use Richlite for these. Spectacular guitar though nonetheless, so enjoy.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
If it's a 2011 Custom Classic (they didn't have any Plus monikers) it has Baked Maple for a fretboard. All of them were baked maple--they did not use Richlite for these. Spectacular guitar though nonetheless, so enjoy.
The seller confirmed it was richlite, and it sure looks like richlite in the photo. All the baked maple boards are much lighter, at least from what I've seen. I'll know for sure when it arrives. To my knowledge, richlite does not have any wood grain patterns.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my Baked Maple fretboard on my 2012 SG..... untreated and virtually black. So smooth it looks like ebony... and grainless.
AC5096DC-3813-4DB0-A791-919785AABED7.jpeg

Richlite is a fine fretboard material,... so is Baked Maple. Either way can’t go wrong.... but I also believe that richlite was not in use till 2012 and I don’t believe used on the Classic Custom.

Last edited:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah because I bought it lol. Didn't pay full price, but I don't think I overpaid too much. It was mentioned these aren't Custom Shop models which is true, but there are a lot of Custom models that aren't CS made and I've seen them priced higher. I had a 2002 LP Custom with an ebony board that wasn't a CS model. Paid $2200 for it 4 years ago. I think they started making all Customs in the Custom Shop 2003 - present with the exception of the Classic Custom and the Custom Lite.

I actually think this might be the Custom Classic Plus from 2011 since it has a richlite board. I have no idea what the used market is for this model. I've never seen one like it before and I can't find another one. All I know is I think I'm going to like it a lot. I've been looking for another LP Custom for months and every one I see on Reverb is way overpriced, and when I say overpriced I mean like 30% - 40$ higher than what it's worth. I bought another CS Custom 3 years ago for $2850. Every other CS Custom I see is $3300 plus, and most on the lower end are in poor condition.

^ That is the exact guitar I had 4 years ago and purchased it for $2200. It's not a CS model. The guy is asking $3700 LOL.
CONGRATS!!!!! You's gonna have to do an NGD when you get it.

Latest Threads