Is this Civilized Editorial Journalism?

LPSGME

Reaction score
I've read stories in large city newspapers where journalists would use derogation to impugn someone accused of a crime - such as calling them a low life or deranged etc. Now it seems journalist are being allowed to comment in ways that attribute assorted derogation to certain races - in this case not only whites but Neanderthalls. Is this the height of uncivilized behavior or what?

Extremist 'patriots' imperil the United States - latimes.com

Don't these editors read their own papers. Neanderthall genes are found in many positive ways in the human genome.
Humans got immunity boost from Neanderthals, study finds - Los Angeles Times

dsolse

Reaction score
Sounds like he found a certain forum member's "desert compound."

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Typical bullshit we should be used to by now...

Anyone who isn't completely "on board" is a fool, a savage, and a traitorous enemy.

Same shit, different day. Shart and piss on that so called "writer". The ONLY thing the piece of shit got right was, that "the enemies" are acting well within the law and constitutional rights.

Apparently that scumbag has a problem with constitutions and rights that don't conform to his world vision.

Shart and piss.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Op Ed
What do you not get about the fact the page is OPINIONS and EDITORIALS?
Nothing new here.
Get out and read a paper more often?

LPSGME

Reaction score
Op Ed
What do you not get about the fact the page is OPINIONS and EDITORIALS?
Nothing new here.
Get out and read a paper more often?
But editorials, as opposed to letters to the editor, are often absorbed by the public as if they are news. Do you not think they influence people's views, and sometimes wrongly and unfairly and in ways that are detrimental rather than positive.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But editorials, as opposed to letters to the editor, are often absorbed by the public as if they are news. Do you not think they influence people's views, and sometimes wrongly and unfairly and in ways that are detrimental rather than positive.
It happens all the time. People don't differentiate between an editorial and a report. All too often the "news" outlet has an agenda and doesn't distinguish either.... or they choose the wording to push their "message".

12watt

Reaction score
Op-ed is not journalism, op-ed is cage rattling. Guess who's in the cage?

LPSGME

Reaction score
Oh good, another gun thread.

:io:
No it's not about guns. It's about journalists resorting to the use of name calling with racial overtone to manipulate public perception, and as as a tool for divisiveness. Do you not see the irony, if not the hypocrisy, of exercising of 1st amendment rights to make people fear they will be branded as subversive for speaking their minds?

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No it's not about guns. It's about journalists resorting to the use of name calling with racial overtone to manipulate public perception, and as as a tool for divisiveness. Do you not see the irony, if not the hypocrisy, of exercising of 1st amendment rights to make people fear they will be branded as subversive for speaking their minds?
Happens all the time.

Anyone who disagrees is The Enemy. Never changes.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
People who take editorials as news do not understand the word, "editorial.":thumb:

River

Reaction score
Yeah, but we all have our own opinions on what's positive and what's negative. And I'm much more troubled when crap like that is NOT in the OP-ED section/segment than when it is.

This'd be much more interesting if you'd posted examples from both sides. Bullshit is bullshit - Angus or Hereford. I have a feeling this sort of thing doesn't trouble you much when it's slanted your way. Of course, I could be wrong, and you could have called out both sides and just accidentally hit Shift-Up-Up-Up-Delete before posting. :hmm:

As to content of the story, the anti-gubmint bunch is real, and they are scary sometimes. I'm not basing that on anything I see or hear in the "media", because I don't see or hear much of it. I'm basing that on what I see, first-hand, in my own neighborhood.

hecube

Reaction score
On the one hand, I understand why anyone in the US would want to keep this right untarnished. On the other hand, I also understand why anyone might be scared of dumb**** rednecks screaming bloody murder and threatening war.

I think turning the heat down is the best thing to do.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
Be careful not to hold the media to a high standard. They generally don't do it themselves.

LPSGME

Reaction score
Yeah, but we all have our own opinions on what's positive and what's negative. And I'm much more troubled when crap like that is NOT in the OP-ED section/segment than when it is.

This'd be much more interesting if you'd posted examples from both sides. Bullshit is bullshit - Angus or Hereford. I have a feeling this sort of thing doesn't trouble you much when it's slanted your way. Of course, I could be wrong, and you could have called out both sides and just accidentally hit Shift-Up-Up-Up-Delete before posting. :hmm:

As to content of the story, the anti-gubmint bunch is real, and they are scary sometimes. I'm not basing that on anything I see or hear in the "media", because I don't see or hear much of it. I'm basing that on what I see, first-hand, in my own neighborhood.
As far as the gun issue goes, I can agree with "sometimes" but then more times [from what I have seen] the other side has been even more scary in the way they constantly spin things with all disregard for the truth. I'm not particularly pro gun. I'd be perfectly happy if no one had guns - but I mean no one. I'm against hunting and I don't shoot guns for any reason.

But I think the people of our nation are really no different from others in the world in the sense that they are equally as susceptible to the same motives [greed and power] and tactics as anyone anytime in history. What I find absurd is when one side calls the other paranoid; extremists; or conspiracy theorists while they do and act the same in reverse?

That old study from the '60's - The Stanford Experiment - is a good example of how easy it is for people to stomp on others. Even new studies with babies show that they approve of hurting people that are different from them or who don't like what they like [or something like that].

Maybe its in our human genes. Maybe the Neanderthalls got obliterated because of the human need to dislike people who are different.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
Regardless of where you get your news from, never forget to take your daily dose of salt.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
Everybody is somebody else's enemy.

Just the way it is. Don't let it bother you. Embrace it. Don't tuck your tail between your legs. Keep it in the air.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Journalism is simple reporting of facts and uncovering facts that may not be immediately obvious.
When a journo' casts his own opinion, or translation of events, or includes some facts but excludes others, on a story, it's not journalism.
At best it an editorial, at worst it's some kind of propaganda.

I feel sick when I read some of what passes for journalism these days.
Especially when it's in the broad sheets and so-called 'free-press'.

But...

That kind of journalism only exists because the public buys it.
I say 'the public' because I don't.
I vote with my feet.
If more of us did....