Is this Ash ?

Wailing

Reaction score
Hi folks

Would any of you kind people give me your opinion on the kind of wood my 1970 Telecaster is made from ?

cheers Wailing

Last edited:

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, looks like ash to me too.

Certain to become even more desirable now that Fender are no longer using it on anything other than Custom shop guitars :rolleyes:

I love the staple pickup at the neck - that is a gorgeous looking thing

fett

Reaction score
My ash. Your face. I have an '85 Strat in sienna burst and seeing the ash grain is stunning. :thumb:

Wailing

Reaction score
Cheers folks.. seems unanimous !! I didn't realize Fender were stopping using Ash. I was told when I bought it back in the late 70's that the staple pickup was from a 54 Gibson, it sounds excellent

Mockbel

Reaction score
Wait it a second, can it be pine wood? Like my Classic Vibe Tele
33065B83-D463-4F2C-9744-DC39C6398DE1.jpeg

jb_abides

Reaction score
Yes, looks like ash to me too.

Certain to become even more desirable now that Fender are no longer using it on anything other than Custom shop guitars :rolleyes:

I love the staple pickup at the neck - that is a gorgeous looking thing
Not Exactly, but close...

"In order to uphold our legacy of consistency and high quality," Max Gutnik, vice president of Fender Electric Guitars, Basses, and Amplifiers, said, "We, at Fender, have made the decision to remove Ash from the majority of our regular production models."

They are still producing models that were classically ash e.g. 52 blackguard in ash.

Also, from what I understand: you will still be able to spec ash via Mod Shop, but you have to keep an eye on when it pops up, they cycle the options...

Here's mine -

1587231170983.jpeg

freak

Reaction score
I thought most see through, or naked fenders where ash, while the painted ones were mostly alder, no?

Wailing

Reaction score
I thought most see through, or naked fenders where ash, while the painted ones were mostly alder, no?
my one was painted before the previous owner modified it back in the mid 70s.. you can see traces of blonde under the switches

Malchik

Reaction score
Depends on the guitar. My American sunburst Jazz is alder while my former American Jazz clear was distinctly labeled as ash. Ash even before the ash was a feature.

fett

Reaction score
I have a couple of Ibanez Blazers that have what they called a Violin finish. They are ash bodies and the grain just pops out at you.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
what would identify this as possibly being swamp ash?
"Swamp" ash is the same species just trees that have grown faster due to damp soil, etc., which means it's less dense. So if your guitar feels light you can call it swamp ash, if it weighs 10lbs then it's just ash :)

Latest Threads