Is this an neck joint issue ?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure its nothing structural .. if you get a minutes post some clearer pictures

:hmm:

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It looks to me as though the edge simply got rounded or beveled and then the pore filler filled in the small void that was left. It probably doesn’t go any deeper than it is wide, so 99.99% of the neck joint is contact with the body. I’d say it’s nothing to be concerned about. I would hazard to guess that many guitars leave the shop with glue voids larger than that which are concealed beneath the fretboard or the tenon joint and out of view.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
And thats an endgrain glue surface there, so a completely non structural part of the neck joint even if there was something actually important going on there rather than what you have there which is trivial.

Spambot

Reaction score
More pictures would be very helpful. As already mentioned, I too doubt it’s structural in nature

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It looks to me as though the edge simply got rounded or beveled and then the pore filler filled in the small void that was left. It probably doesn’t go any deeper than it is wide, so 99.99% of the neck joint is contact with the body. I’d say it’s nothing to be concerned about. I would hazard to guess that many guitars leave the shop with glue voids larger than that which are concealed beneath the fretboard or the tenon joint and out of view.

This

Reaction score
Wood joint. Plays and sounds great, ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I know you can’t unsee it, but try hard. Any attention to address this issue would like introduce more problems

Kro64

Reaction score
There’s something to be said about getting a good one !!! Keep the guitar . I know I would !!!

goodguy

Reaction score
Just looked at my R8 - couple thoughts:
1) That's right where the neck ever-so-slightly curves away from the body (you can almost feel a slight difference in the wood matchup/level) ... so could be a spot where glue wipeoff wasn't perfect (or stain) bridged that space a bit.
2) The R8 has a pretty thick area of contact all the way around the neck/body ... so I wouldn't worry about stability.
3) If it's gonna bug you forever then consider swapping it. Personally, if I was pretty sure it was only cosmetic, I'd treat it as an identifying feature that made the guitar uniquely interesting (like a girlfriend with a cute freckle).
IMO, everyone keeps asking for "perfect" guitars - increasingly, guitars produced in cheap labor, highly automated factories are more "perfect" but leave me cold ... I don't mind a couple minor "imperfections" which shows some human built character.
Would you rather have a"perfect" looking factory-built Reverend, Duesenberg, or the thousand of other brands that subcontract out the build to far east factories, or have a hand-built traditionally made instrument which was built (mostly) by hand with a couple slight imperfections? I know which I'd choose.
It's an R8 "historic" not a guitar-hero controller.

Last edited:

Burty459

Reaction score
If it were me, and if you’re happy to do it, take the neck pickup out and see what’s going on in the cavity. I bought a very nice 2017 R8 and I discovered a horrendous tenon joint with some real nice gaps, it did feel solid but I couldn’t get past it. My R9 tenon is tight, well cut with no issues but the R8 was terrible. Now I’m not saying that’s the case with yours, but in the responses to my thread there were a few that had seen similar issues. I won’t ever buy another without asking to see in that cavity. Hope it’s scare mongering but sometimes there are issues that escape the factory when they shouldn’t. Like others have mentioned, if you see plenty of good wood on wood contact it will likely be structurally sound but at least it’s a way to check other areas of the joint.

Burty459

Reaction score
In case anyone was curious.
9FB3B22E-6B00-45FE-94E5-65C16E25AFAC.jpeg

2Muchgear

Reaction score
On the one hand, it’s an expensive guitar and there are few visible glue joints to inspect. I think the joint should be “perfect”. But if the joint is finished and as smooth over the dark area as the rest, I’d keep a watch on it but not likely to send it back.

You’re the original owner and have a warranty. Gibson isn’t going anywhere. If the rest of the guitar is all that, I’d play it and Let sleeping dogs lie.

bentfinger

Reaction score
Its probably a slightly wrong angle on the joint . As others have said, if it plays and
sounds to your satisfaction then keep it. I would look very closely elsewhere on the instrument just in case there is a serious fault.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Be funny if that were just a shadow. I can honestly say I have never looked at or critiqued any of my guitars to this level.
LOL You and me both! I play it, and if it plays and sounds good, that's it. For fun I recently started looking for small imperfections with a magnifying glass and realized, I'm lucky I don't put too much stock this letting stuff bother me. because with all my guitars I was able to find things.
Even with my new car and new travel trailer, there were small things here and there that didn't affect anything. So I still purchased them anyways. Anything man made will have minor nuances.

Burty459

Reaction score
I get that handmade items will always have subtle imperfections and inconsistencies between items, but because something is handmade it doesn’t mean that someone has to put up with what can just be a lack of quality. The pictures of my old R8 I posted earlier were just shoddy work, and at that price I would not expect to see it let alone pay for that level of craftsmanship, it’s poor and shows a lack of quality and standards. By comparison the tenon joint in my R9 was leaps and bounds above, so if they can make ones like this which is spot on why should anyone have to settle for less? The R8 sounded and played great, but I was not happy with the quality of craftsmanship that went into that particular part of the instrument, so I sold it with full transparency. Work like that is not what I think of when I think of Gibson, let alone the custom shop.
7B287754-6DA1-46F3-9FC1-39DD5091A134.jpeg

Reactions: HRC

Latest Threads