Is this an easy fix

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....The worst thing from a repairer's point of view is a crack that an amateur has "had a go at." That generally means we need to undo the previous repair before proceeding, which can take a lot of time and effort (i.e. more money for you). If they've used some weird glue like epoxy, it can be a nightmare.

I faced exactly this all afternoon. A cracked violin neck that had an amateur repair job. And it wasn't "weird" epoxy. It was normal epoxy. I tried everything to get the damn thing apart and finally with enough heat I could smell the epoxy. Cursed all afternoon. Oh yeah...how can you tell it's an amateur repair job? When you can see it's been glued, but there's still a gap in the joint. Oh brother....

Barnaby

Reaction score
I might be a little converned that your local luthier said it doesn't appear to be cracked?? It is clearly cracked.

I was going to say something like this too, but wondered whether it was appropriate for me to do so, as I didn't want to criticise a repairer (especially one about whom I knew nothing else) on scant evidence. Now the cat is out of the bag, however...yes, this is a really good point.

One thing about the guitar repair industry is that there are a lot of people claiming expertise in order to get work in the door. For every Freddy G, there are probably 100 dodgy guys (or more) who say they know what they're doing but really don't have the depth of knowledge or skill to do things as they should be done.

I would respectfully suggest that any luthier who looks at that image and tells you it "doesn't appear to be cracked" might not be the best person to take things to for repair.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Reaction score
I faced exactly this all afternoon. A cracked violin neck that had an amateur repair job. And it wasn't "weird" epoxy. It was normal epoxy. I tried everything to get the damn thing apart and finally with enough heat I could smell the epoxy. Cursed all afternoon. Oh yeah...how can you tell it's an amateur repair job? When you can see it's been glued, but there's still a gap in the joint. Oh brother....

Oh man, do I hear you!

I've got a '69 Goldtop Deluxe with exactly this problem. Neck/headstock break into multiple pieces put back together into a kind of Brutalist epoxy/wood sculpture. I bought it in that condition and haven't done anything yet. I'm still wondering whether I'll put in the time, effort and fluent swearing to undo the previous "repair" and then do things properly (and either then keep or sell it), or simply sell it on as is.

It'd be a dental tools and heat job, and would require a new headplate, new silkscreening and the existing logo to be transferred, as well as maybe a refinish of the whole neck. Plus making a bunch of custom clamping cauls.

Sportrider24

Reaction score
For those who questioned my local luthiers response, I did mis-speak a little. I called it a finish crack. His response was that it was not a finish crack in and of itself. He didn’t really state anything past that other than it would most likely break the first time it has an impact blow. My bad there. He’s confident he can fix it. I will post some good before/after pics As soon as I get it repaired.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For those who questioned my local luthiers response, I did mis-speak a little. I called it a finish crack. His response was that it was not a finish crack in and of itself. He didn’t really state anything past that other than it would most likely break the first time it has an impact blow. My bad there. He’s confident he can fix it. I will post some good before/after pics As soon as I get it repaired.
i'm not a professional luthier, but i have worked with wood quite a bit, having built and repaired furniture. I can tell you without a doubt.....it ain't gonna get no better by itself. Your luthier stated what i would have added. It aint gonna take a great deal for it to fall just the wrong way with string tension on it and it will be a break. i'd be for fixing it now and getting it off my worry list. keep us posted. good luck

Barnaby

Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, any reservations I expressed about the repairer are cheerfully and fully withdrawn.

Good luck with it all!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I have a very simple technique to detect cracks.

Do you have an old school metal tuning fork? You need one for this. One with a ball shaped back end.

Strike the fork. Touch the ball end to the neck on one side of the suspected crack. Hear the neck resonate. Slide the ball of the tuning fork across the suspected crack. If there is a crack there will be a sudden drop in volume when the ball crosses the crack.

If there's no sudden change in volume, there's no crack.

Simple.

Sportrider24

Reaction score
Update: Dropped the guitar off yesterday and got a call this morning. Apparently the break had already been repaired. He said the repair was done well and the bulk of the labor in a repair like this is making it look like it was never broken to begin with (which the original owner did not want to pay for). I’m having him finish the job. We will see the results in a few days.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and of course you will post pics after it's finished, or suffer being banned from here,....right? hope it turns out stellar

Last edited:

Latest Threads