Is this a valid Epi-China serial number?

Chef Greg

Reaction score
Looks fishy... what say you? (above the serial number -a sticker, btw - is stampede "USED")

aussie2009

Reaction score
Looks fishy... what say you? (above the serial number -a sticker, btw - is stampede "USED")

I think there usually classed b-stock stamped used,usually generally ok originals,but i'll let the expert guys here,give there verdict!

aussie2009

Reaction score

I think there usually classed b-stock stamped used,what model,as it dont have grover tuners!,usually generally ok originals,but i'll let the expert guys here,give there verdict!

Chef Greg

Reaction score
It's an Epiphone Ltd Ed 1954 Les Paul Standard Guitar Oxblood model, with wrap TP, no ABR

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's fine. Epiphones stamped "USED" or "2nd" always get those sticker serial numbers.

Chef Greg

Reaction score
Thanks! At $350 I couldn't resist this to goof around with... I've got plenty of pickups & pots around to put in it... plays really pretty durn good

aussie2009

Reaction score
Thanks! At $350 I couldn't resist this to goof around with... I've got plenty of pickups & pots around to put in it... plays really pretty durn good

i really like that color,dont see many ox blood downunder!

onehippie

Reaction score
old thread huh
look under the sticker for " secret "
serial with last 3 digits scratched out
though may be present on " USED "
1st 2 = year
2nd 2 = month
3rd 2 = factory
last digits = birth number

fumblefinger

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1617463 said:
It's fine. Epiphones stamped "USED" or "2nd" always get those sticker serial numbers.
Ahh, I don't believe so, no. The sticker is a "Refurbished" serial. These show up when a reseller buys it from the distributer and "fixes" whatever defect was there. My "2nd" doesn't have one. My "2nd" has a very obvious defect. Someone stuck their finger in the stain before it was dry around the 12th fret. It was missed and clear coated over. (see pic) You can't even feel it. Just an appearance item, which is supposedly what the difference between a "2nd" and a "Used" is. Where the "2nd" is only an appearance issue, the "Used" has a functional defect, hence the refurbishment.

The guy who sold it to me on ebay "...didn't think it mattered, (I) don't know much about guitars" and omitted it from the pics or description. After explaining it to him, he refunded enough to get the ultimate cost to a hair over $200. That's with an original 5 latch hard case.

Attachments

straybeat

Reaction score

It's a rebuild from MIRC. Whenever a guitar comes from the factory with a problem, it goes to MIRC to be fixed. It could be anything from a cracked knob to a snapped off neck? MIRC puts on the 311 serial stickers and I think they scratch out the original number underneath so you can't sell it for new or get warranty work done. Hence the USED stamp also.

56GT

Reaction score
I got one with the "2ND" stamp, and the only flaw I can find is the ground-off S/N and the "2ND" stamp! :rolleyes:

straybeat

Reaction score
I got one with the "2ND" stamp, and the only flaw I can find is the ground-off S/N and the "2ND" stamp! :rolleyes:
My Prophecy also has the 2ND stamp and I bought it from MF at a huge discount. I've never been able to find anything wrong except the top of the nut has a smudge like it was melted (it's not).

Latest Threads