Is this a MIJ or MIC copy

theroan

Reaction score
Any experts care to weigh in?

Gibson Les Paul Custom Japanese Copy & LTD XJ-6 FS/FT | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

FYI, the guy said it was given to him by an uncle who lives in Japan. Just not sure if Japanese les pauls ever actually say Gibson on the head, which makes me think it may be CHinese. But these details aren't blatantly false like the chinese ones I see online.

If it's Japanese I may be interested. Or if I should stay away let me know.

Thanks!

GammyBird

Reaction score
Looks like a fake to me. That serial number format and font looks to be a fake Gibson. Not anything I've seen on a MIJ LP.

theroan

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had a feeling. I mean if it was a well crafted Japanese fake, that's no so bad to me. But if it's Chinese junk, yuck.

ThirdStone

Reaction score
Yeah, staying away from that is the right thing to do. Besides, I've never heard of any Japanese fakes.

JDB

Reaction score
Swamp ash body. Yeah ok.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean if it was a well crafted Japanese fake, that's no so bad to me.

What do you mean? It's still a fake, origin has NOTHING to do with it.

theroan

Reaction score
Sure it does.

For the most part Japanese made guitars have a reputation for being well made and at times on par with guitars made in America. Chinese instruments regarded as being junk (some exceptions exist of course).

Burny, Greco, Tokai etc. are all fakes. But they're really good fakes. So if I can have a good fake for a good price that says Gibson on it, all the better.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Fake: Manufactured to deceive the buyer. Ex: Chibson's..ect.
Replica: Manufactured to replicate. Ex: Max, Derrig...whoever else is at it.

The rest are all LP's made by different companies with their own logos. Ex: Tokai..ect.

That's my take on it.

theroan

Reaction score
I remember reading that replicas sold within Japan can be sold with a "Gibson" logo because it's legal grey area. I didn't know if that was true or false but it made the seller's story of the guitar coming from Japan directly slightly more believable. But I wanted to make sure. They old saying, if it's too good to be true..

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Sure it does.

For the most part Japanese made guitars have a reputation for being well made and at times on par with guitars made in America. Chinese instruments regarded as being junk (some exceptions exist of course).

Burny, Greco, Tokai etc. are all fakes. But they're really good fakes. So if I can have a good fake for a good price that says Gibson on it, all the better.

The X is refering to the fact that its is branded as gibson on the headstock. If its got a gibson logo but its not make by gibson then by definition its a fake/forgery. Doesnt matter if its Japanese or Chinese. If it said tokai or burny or orville or anything other then gibson then its a lp made by someone else, but as soon as they put gibson on the headstock they are trying to deceive people.
And flame suit on but to me this applies to the so called replicas, personally i dont care how good it is or if its built exactly like they used to if its got a gibson logo its a fake.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The X is refering to the fact that its is branded as gibson on the headstock. If its got a gibson logo but its not make by gibson then by definition its a fake/forgery. Doesnt matter if its Japanese or Chinese. If it said tokai or burny or orville or anything other then gibson then its a lp made by someone else, but as soon as they put gibson on the headstock they are trying to deceive people.
And flame suit on but to me this applies to the so called replicas, personally i dont care how good it is or if its built exactly like they used to if its got a gibson logo its a fake.

I would feel like a poseur if I went on stage with a fake, whether it be a Chibson or the most accurate replica.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Burny, Greco, Tokai etc. are all fakes. But they're really good fakes.

:slap:

No, they are NOT fakes,

they put their own brand name on the guitar

those companies don't need the 'Gibson' name on the headstock :lol:

theroan

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Derrig LPs say Gibson on them. But we're only going to throw stones at the cheap ones :confused:

Any way, I don't condone tricking people with Chibsons. I thought because of the Japanese part there may have been more to it. But I'm grateful for the input. I informed that seller that the sale of counterfeit goods is illegal in Canada.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
No i will throw stones at anyone who puts the gibson logo on a none gibson guitar.
I have no problems with any lp that has any other name be it tokai, greco, burny yada yada yada.
Its when the gibson brand is put on in an attemp to fool someone in to thinking its a gibson.
And to me the argument of it not being an accurate replica if it doesnt have the gibson logo is bs.
To me as a amateur builder of guitars i dont understand not putting your own name on it, if its that damn good you should be proud to put your name on it and call it what it is. I wish i could build something as good as one of the well known replica builders and if i could it would not say gibson on it.
I also love how when its Chinese its a chibson but when its hand built to good quality its a replica, when honestly they are all fakes.
And for the record i have nothing to gain from this point of view, i dont even own a gibson.

Latest Threads