Is this a lacquer dinged up or u think its the paint?

R994

Reaction score
I dropped my screw on it -_-. While fixing the pick up height?

I hope i only damaged the lacquer.

Attachments

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Yes its a ding - I tipped over the bridge screw while removing it on a fresh 2020 Les Paul Standard and received the prize of my first ding. Didn't really bother me at all - now its personalized . .

R994

Reaction score
Yes its a ding - I tipped over the bridge screw while removing it on a fresh 2020 Les Paul Standard and received the prize of my first ding. Didn't really bother me at all - now its personalized . .
I meant to ask if the ding was a lacquer ding or paint

R994

Reaction score
I normally don’t mind to be honest. Just I bought this guitar or a collector, wow he kept it so fresh for 20 years, me on my second day lolz haha

ARandall

Reaction score
Its best to call it 'finish'.

On a burst you have some layers applied with dye added to the clear, and others just with clear. But the whole melts together and you have a homogenous layer that you will chip, dent or check.
For solid colour guitars you tend to have a pigment added to clear as the first layer, but its otherwise identical in every other way.

ARandall

Reaction score
Just as some other finish related info, the back and sides on reissues usually has all of its colour in the grainfill layer. The rest of the finish layers are merely clear......maybe with some amber tint in them.

R994

Reaction score
Just as some other finish related info, the back and sides on reissues usually has all of its colour in the grainfill layer. The rest of the finish layers are merely clear......maybe with some amber tint in them.
too complex for me to understand.
:(

R994

Reaction score
Really :hmm:
Or is this code for 'I don't want to spend any time learning something new'??
I am trying to understand. I am enjoying this forum alot talking to people about different stuff. I have been looking at guitar fixing and making videos for fun. i am just have problem visualizing it.
Good stuff.

ARandall

Reaction score
I'm sure you know that wood is not dead flat or smooth......you've seen the pores in a rosewood fretboard after all so its at least something you already have direct experience with.

To make a flat mirror finish you must first fill these.....hence grainfiller.

R994

Reaction score
I'm sure you know that wood is not dead flat or smooth......you've seen the pores in a rosewood fretboard after all so its at least something you already have direct experience with.

To make a flat mirror finish you must first fill these.....hence grainfiller.
ahh so the paint is actually quite thick?

grumphh

Reaction score
I dropped my screw on it -_-. While fixing the pick up height?

I hope i only damaged the lacquer.
That guitar is worthless now.
I am not even going to suggest that you send it to me, because i wouldn't want a ruined guitar like that anywhere near my residence.

I hope you have a fireplace in your home, because even the gas taking it to a garbage depot would be a waste of money compared to what it is worth now.

...idk, if you don't have a fireplace i guess you could just drop it on some public street in the middle of the night to avoid fines for littering...

R994

Reaction score
That guitar is worthless now.
I am not even going to suggest that you send it to me, because i wouldn't want a ruined guitar like that anywhere near my residence.

I hope you have a fireplace in your home, because even the gas taking it to a garbage depot would be a waste of money compared to what it is worth now.

...idk, if you don't have a fireplace i guess you could just drop it on some public street in the middle of the night to avoid fines for littering...
This is an honor big fan of your youtube channel

ARandall

Reaction score
Not in a economically viable way.
But technically a luthier with some nitro could dropfill, then scrape, then buff out to remove the depression.

Latest Threads