Is this a Golden age of QB's in the NFL?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Did you actually watch football last year? I'm a long suffering Chiefs fan and I find the dark cloud in every silver lining, i have lived through shit that few fanbases have ever had to, and i still cant find a single reason other than injury that Mahomes wont smash every QB record in existence. He just does things with a football that nobody else has ever done. I pinch myself daily to make sure im not just dreaming this. Its unbelieveable on television when you watch him. Live its breathtaking. Seeing him do it live in the stadium its clear he is head and shoulders better than anyone else to play the position. And i have seen all the current surefire 1st ballot guys play live except for Brees and Wilson. And what should be even scarier for defensive coordinators---by Mahomes own admission he is still learning the pro game. Now is he gonna throw 50/5000 every year? Unlikely. But I can see a 60/6000 season being possible with this guy. Thats Gretzky like special.
Gretzky, my second all time favorite hockey player (behind my son), has four Stanley Cup rings. Tom Brady has six Super Bowl rings.

There is no suffering, as a fan, I didn't endure from 1970 until 2001.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I draft next Saturday night ,, who is your choice for first QB to take ? I say Mahomes or Goff
I wouldn't overlook Baker Mayfield. He's always willing to air it out and has plenty of A-list talent amongst receivers and backs.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Mahomes better not fall to a sophomore slump... He's got a great rookie stat... We'll see if he has the goods to become an elite QB...

Peyton Manning or Brady didn't look so good in their rookie season...

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Did you actually watch football last year? I'm a long suffering Chiefs fan and I find the dark cloud in every silver lining, i have lived through shit that few fanbases have ever had to, and i still cant find a single reason other than injury that Mahomes wont smash every QB record in existence. He just does things with a football that nobody else has ever done. I pinch myself daily to make sure im not just dreaming this. Its unbelieveable on television when you watch him. Live its breathtaking. Seeing him do it live in the stadium its clear he is head and shoulders better than anyone else to play the position. And i have seen all the current surefire 1st ballot guys play live except for Brees and Wilson. And what should be even scarier for defensive coordinators---by Mahomes own admission he is still learning the pro game. Now is he gonna throw 50/5000 every year? Unlikely. But I can see a 60/6000 season being possible with this guy. Thats Gretzky like special.
Wow. Head and shoulders better than anyone else to play the position? Really? Mahomes has had exactly ONE good season, albeit a very good one. He's got a very long way to go to prove he's even as good as just about any of the other established guys on the OP's list, let alone better. The longer he plays, the more film the league has on him and the easier it will be to game against him.

I'm glad your franchise has a talented young QB, but let's be realistic. Tom Brady has six Super Bowl rings.

The General

Reaction score
While Mahomes had a really impressive season last year, I'm in the pump-the-brakes camp. The NFL has a way of adjusting to players and schemes, especially QB's. See the stories of RGIII (awards and took 'Skins to NFC title game as a rookie) and Vince Young (rookie of year and Pro Bowl). Mahomes may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread but he needs to show more than 1 year.

Also, as the Lions only fan, Stafford in the same category as Wilson, Newton, and even Foles has gotta be an oversight. I equate him roughly to Trent Dilfer.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Remember RG3 and Vick when they first broke into the scene... The other teams figured out their playing styles...

Too early to judge Mahomes since he only has one year in his belt....

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Besides nerfing pass rushers, today's rules also nerf defensive backs. Back when Namath and Tarkenton and Staubach were playing, finding an open man meant "finding a receiver who hasn't yet been mugged by the likes of Jack Tatum or Lester Hayes." No contact past 5 yards? Back then it was "no contact after he stops twitching."

rxbandit

Reaction score
Remember RG3 and Vick when they first broke into the scene... The other teams figured out their playing styles...

Too early to judge Mahomes since he only has one year in his belt....
Mahomes' playstyle is not really anything like those players though, he's unbelievably good. I'm looking forward to watching him again this year.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
All RGB could do was run. Once the league cottoned to it (and he got hurt), that was gone and he had nothin'. Vick on the other hand had a good arm and with Philly after prison he was an effective passing QB.

Mahomes, though- he has legs, but mostly he has a ridiculous arm and pinpoint aim. Like Dan Fouts, if Fouts was mobile.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Mahomes is the real deal. Loaded with weapons and ability of his own, much will depend on those he's surrounded by. The ones that have been mentioned (RGB, Vick) were similar in that respect and struggled once the honeymoon was over as teams adjusted to what they were seeing. I think Mahomes is still in a whole 'nother league as far as adaptability. He should be fine and look forward to watching him again. That's a quarterback I would not bet against.

defcrew

Reaction score
Mahommes skill set is just silly good....mobile, good improvizer/play extender, strong and accurate arm. But go ahead and write off people like Brady as system guys if you want to. I heard a guy a while back say that in 1957 the prototypical QB in the NFL was 6'4" pocket passer with an accurate arm who could read defenses. In 2019 it is the same and in 2039 it will be the same again. PM will be a star for years to come but let's let him start a couple seasons before we crown him the greatest QB in NFL history. We ATL fans were drinking the Vick Kool Aid pretty hard when he first came on th escene. I get that they are dif players with dif skill sets ut the NFL is a great equalizer.

bgh

Reaction score
My favorite pro football team is the Pats. Favorite baseball? Red Sox. Favorite college football? Clemson. Favorite hockey? Err...err...the NJ Devils. Other than adding Clemson, these have been my teams since the '70s (and Devils since '84). I loved these teams when they sucked. I love them, now. I love them when they ebb and when they flow. It sure is nice to win, but I suspect I'd still be a fan if these teams had not won all those championships.
Not so much the Devils, and my college football favorite are the Sooners since they have my daughter a good scholarship a couple years ago, but I'm Rhode island born, so it's Pats and Red Sox since the bad old days
Well said - for both of you. And, same here concerning the Pats and Sox. I have been a fan of the Pats since they became a team as the "Boston Patriots". I remember cheering when they made a first down - much less won a game. The Red Sox have always been my favorite baseball team.