Is this a Golden age of QB's in the NFL?

NRBQ

Reaction score
I was looking at some articles and stuff on the upcoming NFL season and saw a list of the QB's in the NFL today and the list is pretty amazing. It just seems like there are some very talented QB's at just about every age from very young to very old, and all are playing at a high level. Maybe it's the era and the rules that favor and protect QB's but still check out this list and chime in.

The oldies but goodies:
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Big Ben
Phillip Rivers
Eli Manning

On the edge of prime and elder statesmen:
Aaron Rogers
Matt Ryan

Prime age:
Andrew Luck
Dak Prescott
Mathew Stafford
Kirk Cousins
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Cam Newton

Young talented and already proven:
Patrick Mahomes
Jerod Ghoff
Carson Wentz
Deshaun Watson
Mitchell Trubisky

2018 draftees, talented and chomping at the bit to prove themselves further, the in betweeners:
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen

Honorable Mention:
Derek Carr
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

That's a hell of a list of QB's, talent up and down the age spectrum, many talented young QB's to step into the limelight, a bunch of older players that are still playing great, lots of prime age players showing their power.

I think this is a Golden age of Quarterbacks in the NFL.

Thoughts from the boys?

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say that overall the collection of talent is good, it's a different time. Not sure what other qbs could have done in a passing based league.

I'll also say I'd be comfortable with about 8-10 of the current qbs running my teams offense. The rest, not so much. Being a 40 year old packer fan, I've been pretty lucky and maybe I'm picky

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
No. It isnt. there are maybe a total of 10-12 guys that you can point to as being legitimately capable of carrying a team to places it wouldnt get to with a JAG under center. Over half the teams in the NFL could stand to mupgrade the position. The numbers make some guys look better than they are, mostly because of the emphasis on the passing game, but that doesnt make them great QBs.

Then there is Patrick Mahomes-----

patrick-mahomes-chiefs-2018_750xx3891-2193-791-188.jpg

NRBQ

Reaction score
No. It isnt. there are maybe a total of 10-12 guys that you can point to as being legitimately capable of carrying a team to places it wouldnt get to with a JAG under center. Over half the teams in the NFL could stand to mupgrade the position. The numbers make some guys look better than they are, mostly because of the emphasis on the passing game, but that doesnt make them great QBs.

Then there is Patrick Mahomes-----

View attachment 400354
It's definitely a passing league now, you simply touch the QB and they send you to the Russian front so you may have something there, but you're not and you're wrong. Sorry Charlie.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
It's definitely a passing league now, you simply touch the QB and they send you to the Russian front so you may have something there, but you're not and you're wrong. Sorry Charlie.
Mahomes
Brady
Wilson
Brees
Rodgers
Wentz
Maybe Mayfield
Rapistberger but maybe not anymore
Ryan
Luck

That pretty much does it. Anyone else you name is pretty much just a guy and not someone that really elevates the team

NRBQ

Reaction score
Mahomes
Brady
Wilson
Brees
Rodgers
Wentz
Maybe Mayfield
Rapistberger but maybe not anymore
Ryan
Luck

That pretty much does it. Anyone else you name is pretty much just a guy and not someone that really elevates the team

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I`m a Raider fan from way back and I think Derek Carr will turn out to be a legit leader in the next few years.

And I am not an Eli or Giants fan but honorable mention?
He has 2 rings!!!!!!!

NRBQ

Reaction score
I`m a Raider fan from way back and I think Derek Carr will turn out to be a legit leader in the next few years.

And I am not an Eli or Giants fan but honorable mention?
He has 2 rings!!!!!!!
Well we're talking about what they bring to the table today not the past, I don't think he's played at a high level for a few years now. I'll bet real fake money that Eli is benched for Jones before the season is over.

Last edited:

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Well we're talking about what they bring to the table today not the past, I don't think he's played at a high level for a few years now.
I still think he deserves a little more than honorable mention and I don`t even like the guy.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I have been out of touch with football for a long time apparently. I have no idea who most of these people are.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I still think he deserves a little more than honorable mention and I don`t even like the guy.
OK done, he's been moved based on your recommendation, but he really doesn't deserve to be on that list based on his current and recent play. If you're talking possible HOF QB's he'd be in on the conversation, but do you consider him an elite QB today? Tell the truth.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
The rules change the game and dictate the players.

Once there were mighty running backs in the NFL. Now they're an afterthought.
That's mostly because rules changed to entertain TV watchers.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have been out of touch with football for a long time apparently. I have no idea who most of these people are.
Everything I know about football I've learned between pickup ads, during a three pint afternoon i.e. Nada, zip and zilch. But I've heard a few of the names.

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Mahomes is gonna be a HOFer one day if they set him up to succeed with the right talent around him.

But the majority of NFL QBs ... especially Brady wouldnt last a second in the NFL pre 1999 . Rules changes are discussed by 32 owners to A) protect million $$$ investments B) promote viewership by more long passes, higher scores .Its a buisness before a sport.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
for the love of anything holy, STOP talking about andrew luck. What a f-ing waste, everyday he's hurt and they never know when he'll return... rinse and repeat.

If he gets paid 1/10 of how much they talk about him, he's set for life, his agent is a genius for how much hype he gets.

scott1970

Reaction score
I was looking at some articles and stuff on the upcoming NFL season and saw a list of the QB's in the NFL today and the list is pretty amazing. It just seems like there are some very talented QB's at just about every age from very young to very old, and all are playing at a high level. Maybe it's the era and the rules that favor and protect QB's but still check out this list and chime in.

The oldies but goodies:
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Big Ben
Phillip Rivers
Eli Manning

On the edge of prime and elder statesmen:
Aaron Rogers
Matt Ryan

Prime age:
Andrew Luck
Dak Prescott
Mathew Stafford
Kirk Cousins
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Cam Newton

Young talented and already proven:
Patrick Mahomes
Jerod Ghoff
Carson Wentz
Deshaun Watson
Mitchell Trubisky

2018 draftees, talented and chomping at the bit to prove themselves further, the in betweeners:
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen

Honorable Mention:
Derek Carr
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

That's a hell of a list of QB's, talent up and down the age spectrum, many talented young QB's to step into the limelight, a bunch of older players that are still playing great, lots of prime age players showing their power.

I think this is a Golden age of Quarterbacks in the NFL.

Thoughts from the boys?

Kaepernick much?

There’s no golden age when there’s no justice.

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Why would Brady not last pre 1999?
Anytime you get near him, god forbid actually hit him , his play suffers dramatically. rules , rules that didnt exist when players like Marino played, now protect QBs like Peyton Manning and Brady get 15 yd first downs if you brush them the wrong way.

My Les Paul Classifieds