Is this a genuine Gibson Les Paul?

MagicTeaspoon

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle!

I recently acquired this black led Paul from a house clearance. I’ve ran the serial number which comes up as 2001 in Nashville but the pickups are Epiphone stamped on the underneath and the bridge is stamped sung il. The body hardware is gold and the machine heads are chrome. Is it a genuine Gibson? It also has a Gibson branded hardcase.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Judging from the headstock inlay, the serial number/made in usa stamp, the pickup rings as well as the tuners, it looks like a Chinese fake to me. Pictures of the control cavities and electronics would help.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
That headstock looks mega fake. The diamond inlay is crooked. Chrome hardware for the mounting rings is wrong and the body shape is really putting me off.
Also, that truss rod cover is incorrect.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
The nut slot is way off, font seems wrong, logo seems wrong, and it has a rosewoodish fretboard. Everything screams FAKE to me!

jkes01

Reaction score

judson

Reaction score
Last edited:

MagicTeaspoon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info folks, a real good guide shared there too, really appreciate it.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Hope you got this one free! You'll notice the "G" in the Gibson logo is slanted to the right. This is common on counterfeit instruments. The other posters here have pointed out the other glaring errors to her legitimacy.....I don't wish to be redundant....play the Hell out of her anyway!

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Thanks for providing decent pictures.

For a fake... it's a pretty good one.

Still has that cheap Chinese appeal, but it's missing some of the horrific details that many fakes have.

JeromyAR1

Reaction score
I purposely viewed and bought a known and near perfect copy of an old sunburst! Never regretted it! Got it at a discount too! Looks good next to my Gibson made Les Paul and you know what? Most people like the classic looks of the fake better! The have no idea!
Each copy is produced at that smiths level of expertise anyway! So the quality of the smaller details and imperfections becomes prevalent in different places on each Forged item, they are common but not always the same.
So, if you are not sure, then why judge with eyes what your ears alresdy told you? If its diamond play it anyway!
The way things should be and are not always a certainty, each guitar has an individual sound and feel and some will be amazing!
Call it a clone! Or Art and the imitation of life.

Just Have fun!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
the pickup rings as well as the tuners,
The pickup mounting hardware as well.
Gibson uses black screws for the pickup mounting rings on guitars with gold hardware.
Even Epiphone uses gold screws on these models, so it's an easy one to slip by.

But ya... A Custom would have gold tuners, and likely gold keystones, probably Grovers. Gibson would not have mismatched the hardware colors.
Epiphone pickups (or at least pickups stamped Epiphone) are extremely common in these Chinese knockoffs, and have lead to speculation that these knockoffs are actually unauthorized production from the factories under contract with Epiphone.

Last edited: