Is This a Chibson?

davidrf

Reaction score
A friend of mine is interested in buying a used Les Paul but he suspects it actually is a Chibson. He couldn't see the guitar in real life yet, but he has these photos:

RoEDWUz.jpg

8nJ0sOn.jpg

xHHGV06.jpg

pstJ1YS.jpg

I really can't see anything wrong with this guitar, it looks every bit as good as my 2016 Standard. I could only notice it has some kind of Grover Rotomatics tuning keys with taller posts.

Any opinion?

Attachments

• gibson-or-chibson.jpg
    gibson-or-chibson.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 137

lemmy loud

Reaction score
The top carve looks kinda bulbous, but that could just be a combination of light, finish. The knobs look up a little high, but there is always going to be some
variation. So, I really dont know, lol :dunno:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Not sure
Frets over binding
Wrong screws on pup rings?
Knob position

Pics of the serial number would be more telling. What year is it supposed to be?

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that seam down the middle of the top, too. Headstock carve seems off. Need more pics.

Just noticed the tailpiece studs that should be flat not rounded. I’m guessing Chibson.

davidrf

Reaction score
It is supposed to be a 2016, we don't have pics of the serial number yet.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I just compared yours to one on Sweetwater. Ur pup rings are bigger and the horn is the wrong shape. Who’s selling it and what’s the price?

lemmy loud

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that seam down the middle of the top, too. Headstock carve seems off. Need more pics.

Just noticed the tailpiece studs that should be flat not rounded. I’m guessing Chibson.

Def. That top does not look Gibsonish

davidrf

Reaction score
I don't know about the price, it's a local private seller near here (I'm from Italy). I'm really surprised it's a Chibson... do they really make knockoffs that are so good nowadays? I can spot some weird stuff only now that you mention it to me...

Edit: now that I think about it... isn't that rosweood a bit too dark?

RayTorvalds

Reaction score
Yes, it's definitely a Chibson. I'm glad they still don't get how to do them right and less conspicuous. F%#*ing Chibsons. They make me mad.
I'm not even going to mention the tell tale signs (that I know of) anymore, just in case some of them read forums like this. I know the information is out there, but I don't want to add more to it.
Glad you asked davidrf and prevent your friend from being ripped off.

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Also, the 2016 HP model has frets over binding but the T model has nibs. Which one is it supposed to be?

davidrf

Reaction score
Don't know about this but at this point it seems pretty clear it is a Chibson, given the feedback. Damn! I would've never said that.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Bridge and tailpiece look weird to me, so does the cutaway.
TRC very close to the nut.
The whole body shape looks weird to me
Top carve is weird too
Headstock should flare out more from the neck

davidrf

Reaction score
The seller specified the tuners are not the stock ones but some aftermarket Grover Rotomatics (locking). The headstock shape looks WAY off, damn!