Is this a 2017 True Historic case?

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd have to give me an unrealistic price discount (at least a G) for me to keep a new expensive guitar with that damage. Furthermore the store it came from would be off limits in the future for not mentioning anything about it . I can't see the headstock thing coming from shipping. Someone actually looked right at it, packed it up, and said screw it, we'll see if he notices. The damage isn't that bad, but it's enough to piss me off and tell the place to F O

PierM

Reaction score
It seems that the True Historic TRC location is not so true....

Photos of real vintage Les Pauls
View attachment 306435
View attachment 306436
View attachment 306437

No idea LOL.

This is a 2015 TH R0. Probably another random Gibson thing...

A03FB14C-9144-4A29-9E1D-ED5B3074D32A.png

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it has been Gibson’s strategy to give new historic features and remove something at the same time as if we wouldn’t notice. Then call them vintage correct inconsistencies :D

It’s the fun of Custom Shop Historics.

DrSte31n

Reaction score
You'd have to give me an unrealistic price discount (at least a G) for me to keep a new expensive guitar with that damage. Furthermore the store it came from would be off limits in the future for not mentioning anything about it . I can't see the headstock thing coming from shipping. Someone actually looked right at it, packed it up, and said screw it, we'll see if he notices. The damage isn't that bad, but it's enough to piss me off and tell the place to F O
Ended up getting a $500 refund from the dealer. I should’ve read your post before asking for that amount :p.

Oh well. I think overall I’m ok with it, especially since I originally had gotten the retail price tag shaved off a little bit. They will also send me a toggle switch tip replacement.

My guess is that this guitar was on the store’s floor for a while. They probably lost the case (ala Guitar Center) or it was too damaged, so they put this guitar in a new case. As long as this an ok case for a True Historic (and forum brothers have said it is), I’m fine with it.

Here are some pics of the control cavity (somebe requested it, I think).

20B0EBE9-7FE9-49A1-ABE6-EB3E1F53A190.jpeg 7EDB4EA8-D969-4D0F-BB0D-D1623178BD63.jpeg

Thank you all for the input and help!

Last edited:

DrSte31n

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention that the truss rod cover proximity to the nut is something I’ve seen on other guitars from 2017, so I don’t think that should be a concern.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The switch tip should always be removed for shipping (now you know why). Surprised the dealer didn't do that. Also the rash on the headstock could be drop filled, but they should pay the bill for that. Possibly the result of a bad guitar hangar in the store.

The neck pickup issue is strange, I've never seen that. I wonder if there's a slightly larger neck pickup ring available that would cover that. Odd that it's like that at all. Almost like they drilled the holes for the pickup ring slightly off? :hmm:

PierM

Reaction score
The switch tip should always be removed for shipping (now you know why). Surprised the dealer didn't do that. Also the rash on the headstock could be drop filled, but they should pay the bill for that. Possibly the result of a bad guitar hangar in the store.

The neck pickup issue is strange, I've never seen that. I wonder if there's a slightly larger neck pickup ring available that would cover that. Odd that it's like that at all. Almost like they drilled the holes for the pickup ring slightly off? :hmm:

The huge gap between neck and pup was there for the 2017 run (apart of course repurposed).

5341e97fa52cd3d026b732f1a788de19.jpg

33nckjn.jpg

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The huge gap between neck and pup was there for the 2017 run (apart of course repurposed).

5341e97fa52cd3d026b732f1a788de19.jpg

33nckjn.jpg

Wow, I guess that's one of the quality control issues I've heard of with the new ones. Such an easy thing to get right, and really sloppy considering what these things go for...

DrSte31n

Reaction score
Wow, I guess that's one of the quality control issues I've heard of with the new ones. Such an easy thing to get right, and really sloppy considering what these things go for...
Doesn’t seem to be a new “issue”. Look at this post about a 2002 historic: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gap-between-fretboard-and-neck-pickup.154495/. I can’t find more links right now, but I’m pretty sure it’s been discussed before and most people agree it’s a normal thing also present in some guitars from the 50s. I guess we could call it a Historic flaw? :)

lpthomas

Reaction score

Hold on. That's completely wrong.

The neck pickup gap was introduced on the True Historics in 2015. Some originals have a gap there as well. So Gibson used this as a "feature" for the True Historics. The Standard Historic series didn't have the gap. The earlier 2017 Les Paul Standards did have the gap as they were supposed to be mostly built to True Historic spec. Gibson Custom, as far as I know and heard, decided to change it back to no gap in mid-to-late 2017. That's why many Braz LPs don't have the gap.

I guess people complained—just like you.

Edit: That's a good spot, DrSte31n. I wasn't really comfortable saying it was "introduced in 2015" as I don't know a lot about the earlier Historics. I should have said: In 2015 it was used to set apart the THs from the SHs. So if you see a gap on a reissue, I at least would say it's intentional.

lpthomas

Reaction score

By the way, what are the quality issues you heard about regarding the new ones? Sounds like a rude question but it's not meant that way. Just curious.

Drog

Reaction score
My THR0 is stamped inside the cavity. Is yours?

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I have a Slash 2017 First Standard TH ... yep that's the case ..

Subterfuge

Reaction score
neck pick-up gap is correct for 2017 TH and the nut was never lacquered over in the first place ... 100% legit ... nice and congrats

jamman

Reaction score
60 RI's /R0's in general have the TR placed much lower or @ the nut depending on who installs it .... Normal imo . It's a tell . I've Not looked at many TH60's , but I'll look at mine, and get back about what i find ....
Different years LP's have different placement of some things .....AFAIK like the Originals did .... With 60's RI's , it can depend on the Version being RI'd . Version 1,2 or 3 have differences . A version 1 with have the same TR placement as a 59 RI .Better asking in the Vintage section where many more who know better (then Me) could help wit a better answer then mine ... the get into the finer details of such stuff ....

Really ?? The lacquered nut is a Gibson Standard . MY TH60 had it .... Until I had it re-fretted and a new nut installed ....

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I'll assume the $500 covers the missing Coa/candy and the damage. Seems fair to me congrats!

Top Gun

Reaction score
My new TH 60 has the gap also. As Thomas stated "The neck pickup gap was introduced on the True Historics in 2015. Some originals have a gap there as well."

IMG_2625-X3-1.jpg

Latest Threads