Is there such thing as a low db boost pedal?

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I like to put a boost pedal in an effects loop. It's the best way to get a good volume boost without coloring the tone. I use an Xotic Mini Boost and it works well in a band setting.

However, I'd like to use a boost pedal the same way while practicing at home. The problem I have is the volume boost is a little too much for just home practice. Even on the lowest settings, the volume is too high. Is there such thing as a boost pedal that can give you a really moderate boost at practice levels? I don't want to put the boost in front of the amp. I've never had any kind of success doing that. I don't get much of a volume boost with my Bogner XTC, just a moderate gain boost if the pedal is in the front. Got any suggestions?

Tubejockey

Reaction score
There are lots of boost pedals that can be trimmed back all the way to unity gain. Lots.

Chadd

Reaction score
Have you tried an EQ? Either set as a very slight overall volume boost or bumping up a couple mid frequencies will bring it forward in a nice way.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Single stage germanium boost

Burst Boy

Reaction score
A pedal that would work is the Flying Dragon boost. It goes from below unity to 13 Decibel boost and provides a sweet transparent tone. Not a lot of gain compared to a lot of other boost pedals but is more than adequate. I have one and it's a great utility pedal. Don't know if they're still made though.

ARandall

Reaction score
Wondering why you need a volume boost at all when there is nobody else that you need to be louder than.
Also most boost pedals I've used will start off very low level. I've not yet come across one that does not start at unity or even below.
And if you end up at unity gain, then what need is there for you to have the pedal at all??

But an eq pedal might do as well as a boost in this scenario.

AJK1

Reaction score
So I like to put a boost pedal in an effects loop. It's the best way to get a good volume boost without coloring the tone. I use an Xotic Mini Boost and it works well in a band setting.

However, I'd like to use a boost pedal the same way while practicing at home. The problem I have is the volume boost is a little too much for just home practice. Even on the lowest settings, the volume is too high. Is there such thing as a boost pedal that can give you a really moderate boost at practice levels? I don't want to put the boost in front of the amp. I've never had any kind of success doing that. I don't get much of a volume boost with my Bogner XTC, just a moderate gain boost if the pedal is in the front. Got any suggestions?
Just pick harder

DHM

Reaction score
I have a Dr No Drive-O-Matic that can be quite subtle. My Decibelics Golden Horse works quite nicely as well.

gkelm

Reaction score
Have you tried an EQ? Either set as a very slight overall volume boost or bumping up a couple mid frequencies will bring it forward in a nice way.
...was going to mention the Boss GE-7.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
Katana Clean boost- awesome pedal - no tone color and there is an over drive feature if you want it.

captdan61

Reaction score

Xotic RC booster? Great pedal.

captdan61

Reaction score
If you turn the pedals volume below unity and it is still to loud. You could try removing the pedals battery or power supply :jam:

Latest Threads