Is there something not right about this one?

JamesMehigan

Reaction score
Looking at this amongst other Paul's on ebay from Japan, is it just me or is something not quite right..? Its a beautuful guitar in the surface at a pretty good price, but....

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing that makes it look off to me is the patina on the hardware doesn't match the sparkly-newness of the pickup covers and bridge/tailpiece. That might be what your Spidey senses are tingling on.
However, the bridge/tailpiece are TonePros, so they, and the pickups, may be recent upgrades.
The pickup mounting screws and switch nut show a fair amount of patina, and the tuners have dulled nicely.

JamesMehigan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, guess am just a little paranoid about the Asian market, plus I didn't remember seeing the serial number obscured by the machine heads before? Not that I have one here to compare with.

jb_abides

Reaction score
From past knowledge (they may have changed business models). East Island Crew is a 'broker' i.e. they advertise guitars found "in the wild" at legit Japanese dealers, then post with a mark-up. If someone buys, they go pick up the guitar (if it's still there), and pack and ship. Note this means you are buying used, not from an AD. If the model was sold out from under them, I believe they refund with an excuse.

Might want to search places for other data points. Know what you are dealing with. Don't trust me, but when I looked into transacting this way, I was put off.

Often you can search the Japanese shop sites directly, and communicate with them directly. I would advise exploring this route.

Please, someone correct me if I've misremembered or mangled anything. It's been a few years since I scouted this out.

Best of luck!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
From past knowledge (they may have changed business models). East Island Crew is a 'broker' i.e. they advertise guitars found "in the wild" at legit Japanese dealers, then post with a mark-up. If someone buys, they go pick up the guitar (if it's still there), and pack and ship. Note this means you are buying used, not from an AD. If the model was sold out from under them, I believe they refund with an excuse.

Might want to search places for other data points. Know what you are dealing with. Don't trust me, but when I looked into transacting this way, I was put off.

Often you can search the Japanese shop sites directly, and communicate with them directly. I would advise exploring this route.
This. They are a legit broker but they don't have any of the guitars you see advertised by them. Like jb states, if you win the auction they will go find the guitar and buy it for you--if the original dealer hasn't already sold it. Otherwise they just cancel the auction. Consider it used (even if it's new) because you won't get a warranty with it, just like buying privately anywhere.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
The tailpiece looks to be cranked all the way down, and it’s not too wrapped.

Those strings are definitely hitting the back of the bridge.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know, i may be put off by the 'enjoy your life' comment. :hmm:
When I read that " Enjoy your life " comment, I thought something was missing, but kind of implied...

Enjoy your life,,,,,,,,,

SUCKER! :cool2:

swampblues

Reaction score
I bought a used R8 2016 from them with no problem came in fast and perfect shape

Latest Threads