is there any proof that Jimmy Page used a T-top on his #1 LP???

retrobob

Reaction score
Ok, I have been taking notes. :hmm:
So its a re-finned 58 with a shaved neck, headstock repair and no ser.#. And it also has a double white T top which no one has a picture of. Also, we are not sure if its Pages no. 1 or no.2. And Page doesn't know either.:shock:

hoss

Reaction score
Ok, I have been taking notes. :hmm:
So its a re-finned 58 with a shaved neck, headstock repair and no ser.#. And it also has a double white T top which no one has a picture of. Also, we are not sure if its Pages no. 1 or no.2. And Page doesn't know either.:shock:
Correct. And on some recordings it sounds like a Tele :applause:

Jessenoah

Reaction score
Ok, I have been taking notes.

Let me make it clear:
#1, a 59 or 60, the joe walsh guitar, shaved neck, Double White PAF replaced sometime in 1972 with a black T-top used from 1969 until the end NO SERIAL NUMBER

#2 a 59 "91703" double white pickups, got crazy amounts of switches done after zeppelin, first used in 1975

retrobob

Reaction score
Let me make it clear:
#1, a 59 or 60, the joe walsh guitar, shaved neck, Double White PAF replaced sometime in 1972 with a black T-top used from 1969 until the end NO SERIAL NUMBER

#2 a 59 "91703" double white pickups, got crazy amounts of switches done after zeppelin, first used in 1975

Thank you, I'll adjust my notes.:D

Jimmi

Reaction score

What did they do to the PAFs to make it where the coilsplit and phase switches worked? You have to rewind or splice into the coils which are likely not evenly wound.

RevWillie

Reaction score
What did they do to the PAFs to make it where the coilsplit and phase switches worked? You have to rewind or splice into the coils which are likely not evenly wound.

No rewinding or 'splicing into the coils' is necessary! Remove the cover, remove the end tape to gain access to the bobbin leads, separate the leads and add longer wires to them, and with those wires you can phase and coil split to your heart's content. :D

circusboy28

Reaction score
But we are still no closer to knowing about the TTop. It seems that it DIDN'T get changed during the Oz tour in '72...so how and when...if at all...

...and by the way, my older brother saw Zep here in '72, still talks about it - must have been a hot gig!

andrewflour

Reaction score
But we are still no closer to knowing about the TTop. It seems that it DIDN'T get changed during the Oz tour in '72...so how and when...if at all...

Well, I think three things:
- mervin does not remember well what he did
- page had a second problem with his bridge pickup and ordered to substitute it
- after zeppelin, page changed the pickup

of course, we know nothing for real.... :thumb:

DucRyder

Reaction score
is there any proof or reasonable picture, article, magazine scan o something that can guardantee that Jimmy Page used a T-top bridge pickup during 1972- 1988?
I've read this thing everywhere here in the forum but...is there a pic or something? an interview, a book...

Yes there is photographic proof. Tony Bacon did a coffee table book with a pic of #1 showing a "T-Top" pickup with the "T" visible. There was also a Guitar World centerfold showing same said T-Top. That's where the fact that Page used a T-Top for a period of time came from.

Now...what he put in there AFTERWARDS is anyone's guess. He had a double cream PAF that failed in it previous to the T-Top

Jimmi

Reaction score
No rewinding or 'splicing into the coils' is necessary! Remove the cover, remove the end tape to gain access to the bobbin leads, separate the leads and add longer wires to them, and with those wires you can phase and coil split to your heart's content. :D

If I had Pages money maybe I would risk it with an actual PAF. The original PAF that came in my first conversion had been done similarly (is why there are tap switches by the control knobs) and that is the only vintage pickup that has ever failed on me. Maybe it was a hack job. It did last for a decade or so after I bought it so maybe it was not too bad. Lol. I just wouldn't do it. Maybe with a t-top that I had rewound matched with a long magnet or something.

RevWillie

Reaction score
The original PAF that came in my first conversion had been done similarly (is why there are tap switches by the control knobs) and that is the only vintage pickup that has ever failed on me.

Do you still have it? Dr. Vintage ( Dr. Vintage Music Services ) can most likely repair that pickup and since it's already been f'ed with, you can attach 4-connector wire and tap/phase with it.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Tim Mills at Bareknuckle had Page's guitar in his shop and confirmed the bridge is currently a Duncan at approx 8.15k and AL5. (That is eerily in Duncan 59 spec range). this is confirmed by a highly respected member here "in the know".
So when Gibson did the Page reissue they really copied a Duncan. Why they chose AL3 is beyond me.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I've tried to scan those photos in.

Disclaimer - as we're talking about visual evidence, I'll remind anyone who doesn't already know that I almost went blind twice over the last couple of years, I've had a series of operations on my eyes, and I no longer entirely trust my own eyesight about anything. ;)

As I said earlier, my copy of the Bacon book is the more recent, smaller format. Scanning on maximum resolution (I don't have a professional scanner) the image wasn't clear enough to make out the T mouldings. Even so, the image was too large to host (!) so I can't show you. :(

But I did find the GW poster in my loft :)

TBH this one isn't as clear as I remember it, either, but I've scanned it as best as I could, cropped it, and here it is. I wouldn't call it conclusive, but there does seem to be something there in about the right place...

:hmm:

...or is that wishful thinking? Anyway, here it is: discuss:

gklk.jpg

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes there is photographic proof. Tony Bacon did a coffee table book with a pic of #1 showing a "T-Top" pickup with the "T" visible. There was also a Guitar World centerfold showing same said T-Top. That's where the fact that Page used a T-Top for a period of time came from.

Now...what he put in there AFTERWARDS is anyone's guess. He had a double cream PAF that failed in it previous to the T-Top

I think I may be the original "source" for those two images being quoted as "proof", so I'm interested in the opinions of other people who have seen the photos.

Have you seen them? What do you think?

FWIW the pics are not where the idea that Page used a T-top came from - that was based more on simple deduction. The photos came into discussion some time later, as corroboration.

:)

andrewflour

Reaction score
Well, I've tried to scan those photos in.

Disclaimer - as we're talking about visual evidence, I'll remind anyone who doesn't already know that I almost went blind twice over the last couple of years, I've had a series of operations on my eyes, and I no longer entirely trust my own eyesight about anything. ;)

As I said earlier, my copy of the Bacon book is the more recent, smaller format. Scanning on maximum resolution (I don't have a professional scanner) the image wasn't clear enough to make out the T mouldings. Even so, the image was too large to host (!) so I can't show you. :(

But I did find the GW poster in my loft :)

TBH this one isn't as clear as I remember it, either, but I've scanned it as best as I could, cropped it, and here it is. I wouldn't call it conclusive, but there does seem to be something there in about the right place...

:hmm:

...or is that wishful thinking? Anyway, here it is: discuss:

gklk.jpg

OH MY GOD! :wow:
Thanks very very very much huw!!! :thumb:
That's a great pic and I've never seen this one! Now I don't want to be a pain in the a** but could you please post a pic of the entire guitar so we can see Page n#1 in its total beauty and then, with this zoomed pic, we can see its Ttop bridge pickup.
This could be my last chance to show this friend o'mine that his ears are bad working...about recognizing bobbin colour :fingersx:
well I don't want to seem childish but I think an entire picture of JP Number One could be helpful :)
thanks in advantage and hope you are not bored by this req :)
thanks thanks thanks!

Latest Threads