is there any proof that Jimmy Page used a T-top on his #1 LP???

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Careful Lou, you almost made him crash his internet expert chair...

armchair-man_zps5a077735.jpg

Hello?...

CLC1529.jpg

Louie

Reaction score
Then why the tan lines? ask them in the correct vintage places and the correct vintage faded! that all!

Carry on with what you where doing! :cool:

Should I ask for vintage correct razor blade cuts and shoe polish too? :laugh2:

Dumbass...

Big John

fighting age with ignorance
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Better to be a tool bag than a...

douche-bag-ru056-2q.jpg

Damn, now where did I put those plastic bags? I've got another bowl of pudding ready to load.

Red Baron

Reaction score
So I think the real question is how long the T-Top Merv put in stayed in the guitar

Merv never claimed to replace the original pickup with a T-top. A roadie flew down to Melbourne with the guitar and Merv fixed the original pickup while he waited.
There is no hard evidence to suggest that the #1 Les Paul had a T-top in it during the Led Zep era.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nigel Tufnel's Tech could clear this up, if he finds this thread.

DADGAD

Reaction score
The other fact to support the T top bridge is his middle
position tone. There was a noticeable tonal difference in his well used middle position. Honky or twangy is how it was mostly described. Post prediction mastering can alter the final product but the consensus is that the difference between pre 73 and post 72 was noticeable.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...There is no hard evidence to suggest that the #1 Les Paul had a T-top in it during the Led Zep era.

:hmm:

"Hard evidence"?

Well, neither Page nor one of his roadies has ever done an interview and said in so many words "In 1972, after the Australian tour, we took out the PAF and put in a T-top".

That's true, so you are correct.

But what we can piece together, from the available photos, bootlegs etc, without getting too speculative, is that:

1) During the Australian tour of 1972, #1 had a double white bridge pup.

2) It's reported that the pup was giving trouble at the time.

3) By the time they toured Japan later that year the bridge pup had a chrome cover on it, and #1 kept this appearance until after the Zep era.

4) His tone appears to have changed at this point, and he seems to have begun using the middle position more & more from here on.

5) In the mid 80s either the chrome cover was removed, revealing the double black T-top, or the chrome pup was swapped out for the double black T-top.

6) It's much harder to assess any tonal change at this point, because he wasn't playing out so much, and his sound in the 80s was more processed.

Any conclusions from that lot are speculations, but not necessarily wild ones. :)

The following comments are my personal speculation, and only that, based on the above:

Re point 1): it's usually assumed that the double white pup was a PAF, which seems safe, and often assumed to be the original, which is perhaps less safe.

Re point 2): seems to be enough evidence to treat this as fact.

Re point 3): it seems to me that the chrome cover suggests a new pup, rather than an old one, or a rebuilt PAF. New pup > T-top.

Re point 4): seems to back this up, although it is no way concrete proof.

Re point 5): again, no proof either way whether this was just removing the cover, or replacing the whole pup. It is usually assumed to be just the cover, but either could be possible.

Ten years or so ago I was spending way more time than was healthy obsessing about all this stuff, and would piece together any scrap of info, from any source, and try to build up as complete(ish) a picture as possible.

These days I care less about these kinds of details than I did... :laugh2:

circusboy28

Reaction score
Red Baron - are you saying that Merv told you that he DIDN'T replace the PAF with a T Top? I have to admit that I never asked Merv exactly what he did to Page's guitar, I'm pretty sure that I just asked him if it was true that he'd worked on Page's guitar. This was over 30 years ago so I obviously can't recall the exact conversation, but in those days I wasn't too worried about the specifics, I just impressed having my guitar worked on by someone who had worked on Pages guitar.

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
Maybe , but I swear I saw a 70`s tapered pickguard on the LP w/ the double creme bridge PU.

LanEvo

Reaction score
is there any proof or reasonable picture, article, magazine scan o something that can guardantee that Jimmy Page used a T-top bridge pickup during 1972- 1988?
Am I the only one who has no idea what a T-top pickup is? :wave:

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"...After PAF pickups were gone, the patent# pickups were next and used from 1962 to 1965. Then from 1965 to 1975 (note overlap) the next Gibson humbucker is known as the "T bucker" or "T top". They are called this because of a "T" that is part of the molding on the front of the two pickup bobbins. These also had the decal with "Patent No 2,737,842" (still the patent number of Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece). The only way to see the "T" is to remove the pickup cover. A small change in late patent# pickups was white PVC bobbin wires instead of black (black was used on pre-1965 humbuckers). Also T buckers can use either slot or phillips head screws to hold the bobbins to the base plate..."

From this site:

Gibson PAF Humbuckers Pickups Patent Applied For Pickups M69 M-69 pickup rings - Vintage Guitars Info

:)

andreww

Reaction score
Well well, look what I found with a 2 minute google search...an interview from last year where the 83 year old Merv talks about rewinding Page's pickup on the spot, nothing about replacing it! It's about half way down the article. The TTop mystery remains - but Merv DIDN'T do it!

LINK =

The Untold Story of Pacific Guitars | Sawdust & Solder

Hey thats pretty interesting. But if it was the same pickup, why would the choose to cover it after 3 years of being exposed? And jesus, what was Jimmy's tech there for? He was gonna ship the guitar from Australia to America for a pickup change?

andreww

Reaction score
yup

Man we gotta get Page on this forum. Just think all he could tell

LOL, I don't think Page has any idea anymore. In that video where he hands #1 over to the Gibson CS he says "I think at some point I must have changed the tuners". Guys here can pretty much tell you what show he changed them at, and Pagey can't even remember if it came with Grovers.

You have to remember that at that point in time it was just a guitar. It certainly wasn't uber-valuable, and its not like he'd been playing it for decades. Add years of drug and alcohol abuse and 44 years to equation. I don't think Jimmy could tell us much that we don't actually know.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
LOL, I don't think Page has any idea anymore. In that video where he hands #1 over to the Gibson CS he says "I think at some point I must have changed the tuners". Guys here can pretty much tell you what show he changed them at, and Pagey can't even remember if it came with Grovers.

You have to remember that at that point in time it was just a guitar. It certainly wasn't uber-valuable, and its not like he'd been playing it for decades. Add years of drug and alcohol abuse and 44 years to equation. I don't think Jimmy could tell us much that we don't actually know.

he could tell a lot. think about what he hasnt said or shyed away from in interviews.

Latest Threads