Is there a way to do the Jimmy Page wiring mod and add boost like on a Studio II ? Require drilling for extra potentionometer ? lemonade from lemon...

wncgearaddict

Reaction score
I inherited recent what was supposed to be a Studio II off of Reverb. Long story but I inherited about 14 Gibson Les Paul or SG's. Weird story. Will explain. Now to luthier question:

When the person who left it to me got it he checked with Gibson, and it was a very low end satin top. It also did not have the trap inlays. Someone also tried to spray the satin finish top with poly and sealed the top. No binding. He had the kind of money that he played it some and then, he said "screw it" and he hung the guitar on the wall with the others he owned.

I have this guitar via a friend leaving me a good portion of his gear. It brought to mind played a Gibson red wine studio in the very early 2000's. It had a boost module on it that was similar to what Fender used on the Clapton Strats except it required a 9v battery- the person who owned that guitar had it done by a company out of the UK that did boost module Strats before Fender- called Blade. Their module required him to have a 5th push pull tone control. On the "in" position it boosted treble/mid frequencies, and when you pulled it out it boosted other frequencies. It was hell on 9v batteries though. He had lived in the UK and he had Blade(then a Gary Levinson company) and in additon to the Page mod, there was an extra potentiometer and knob to pull(it was a 5th pot dedicated to the boost).

How difficult would this be ? What could I expect to pay ?

Reactions: Who

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Get the circuit, drill a hole, and wire it from the output of the 3 way to the output jack. You'll need a new output jack, a stereo one, for battery on/off when unplugged.
As to price, whatever the circuit costs + output jack.
OR... buy an EQ pedal.

wncgearaddict

Reaction score
Get the circuit, drill a hole, and wire it from the output of the 3 way to the output jack. You'll need a new output jack, a stereo one, for battery on/off when unplugged.
As to price, whatever the circuit costs + output jack.
OR... buy an EQ pedal.

I have an EQ pedal and it just isn't the same. It is like playing a P90 vs splitting coils. P90 can do Iommi up to Sabbath V4, split coils just don't sound the same.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Didn't BadPenguin already answer the original question? Mind you, the more I re-read this (brief) thread the less clear I am about what the actual question is.

The pub down the road re-opens today, on my way now :)

gitmohair

Reaction score
Yes the question was answered I just tried to clarify yours gitmohair.

Maybe it's a language thing, then if so my apologies for any confusion I may have caused/added to. As long as you've got the answer you needed then all is good :)

Reactions: Who

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
... -> OR... buy an EQ pedal.
backshot.jpg

that's a bonzer idea! :lol:

Latest Threads