Is there a way to change magnets on a potted pickup...

bosnialove

Reaction score
Without messing everythin up? Re-waxing in thise case is not an option. :)

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Hairdryer to base plate, you'll see wax start to melt, push magnet out. Same again while pushing replacement in.

bosnialove

Reaction score
The pickups have still their covers on them and they are potted. Thats the problem

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
covers can be removed (and reattached.)

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Covers have nothing to do with potting.

You can't swap a magnet without removing the cover, if that's what you mean.

bosnialove

Reaction score
Okay, let me explain the problem.

The pickups on my 2003 Brazilian '59 are potted and they have covers on them. Can I just remove the covers, yes, I can, but what about the wax? Becuase I can not re-wax the pickups.

Can I, after swapping the magnets, just put the covers on the pickups again? Wont the wax be ruined afte taking the covers off?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
They will probably be fine. The wax isn't what you want to be careful of, scraping or pulling the coils or small wires inside is what you want to be careful of.

bosnialove

Reaction score
Okay, good to hear!

So, I can you desolder those two solderpoints, remove the covers, swap the magnets the proper way and then just... Putting the covers back on without re-waxing the pickup?

Won't taking the pickup cover off itself affect the wax?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Some of the wax is going to melt when you heat the baseplate with the soldering iron. Other than that I have never had any issues with changing magnets.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Okay, good to hear!

So, I can you desolder those two solderpoints, remove the covers, swap the magnets the proper way and then just... Putting the covers back on without re-waxing the pickup?

Won't taking the pickup cover off itself affect the wax?

Ideally, you'll put the cover back on by using two clamps, claiming from both directions (top/bottom and sides with solder). Right before you clamp, heat the leftover wax on the inside of the cover so it's soft and re-forms to the bobbins. Then, re-solder the cover in place and let it cool (don't blow on the solder) with the clamps still on.

That's assuming you have those tools, the ability, and that there is an amount of wax on the inside of the cover to work with. If you don't, have someone else do it, if you are worried.

If you don't play in high SPL situations with high gain in close proximity the the speaker, you probably don't require potting, anyway, and it won't make any difference as long as you don't put the covers back on sloppy.

In any case, I would suggest you try playing the pickups with the new magnets before you re-install the covers, to make sure you like the sound and did the work properly.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I have done this once or twice and seems to work fine:
After the magnet swap, I have everything on the worktable ready to go.
I heat the "naked" pickup slightly to ensure good mechanical connection.
Then I hit the inside of the cover wit the hair dryer, put the pickup in and let it cool a bit.
Solder the cover on, then hit it once again with the hair dyer.
Clean wax residue and done.

Good luck!

Dazza

Reaction score
I changed the magnet in a waxed Custombucker without the need for a hair dryer. I loosened the 4 small baseplate screws underneath and also the pole screws.
I have a very thin flat head screwdriver and slid it between the magnet and the baseplate. With very little effort twisting the screwdriver left and right they separated.
I pushed the magnet out from one side until enough showed to pull it with pliers.

It depends how much wax is in there. It might be easy like mine, or it might need heating to loosen it. Only 1 way to know for sure. Just go slow and carefully.

Daz

David Garner

Reaction score
The wax permeates the coil. You couldn’t “un-pot” it if you wanted to, at least not without rewinding it.

Hair dryer, swap, re-install cover. The cover installation is where you have to get things right or they’ll squeal. Every time I’ve had squealing issues with a potted humbucker, it was the cover, not the wax. Take the cover off and it stops. Re-install the cover properly and it stays stopped.

As James said, do be careful with the coil wires and the other internal wiring. I nicked a coil on a set of Antiquities Swapping magnets once and had to send it back to be rewound. No fun, that.

Latest Threads