Is there a trick to fixing...

TheGreenHornet

Reaction score
a three way LP switch that is very touchy? If I put it in the rhythm setting, it will easily go into the middle position, almost if I breathe on it. Never had this with a switchcraft switch before. I know they cost almost nothing, but just wanting to know if someone else had this prob?

TheGreenHornet

Reaction score
Take the twitch tip off and see if it still does it. Sometimes the tip interferes with the switch fully engaging.
Thank RC. I will give it a go. The guitar has switched hands, so I am the second owner. Brand spankin' new though.

larryguitar

Reaction score
If it's a sealed 'box' style, there's not much you can do. If it's a traditional style with leaves, you can gently tweak those to change how strongly it locks into its detent, which will change how much tension it takes to move.

Larry

jvin248

Reaction score

You can carefully bend the leaves ... but often that gets frustrating and a $5 new switchcraft switch with a little solder flinging gets it working properly.

smk506

Reaction score
Funky switch tip is my guess too.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Take the twitch tip off and see if it still does it. Sometimes the tip interferes with the switch fully engaging.
This is good advice. Sometimes, if the switch is sitting especially deep in the guitar, the switch tip hits the side of the mounting nut before it's fully seated into the up/down positions, making it so that it's easy to knock back to the middle.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I thought they sometimes have extra washers inside the switch cavity. Maybe take one out and see if that brings the switch out of the front of the guitar a little more. Might provide a little more room for the throw of the switch.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Just take the toggle switch out of the cavity and pinch the sides until you get the resistance you want. Deoxit is also great.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I’m in that lunch scene of the life insurance episode of the office.

If the switch needs a little pinch, I’ll send it back. If the pickups were flipped around, I’ll send it back.

TheGreenHornet

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the great suggestions. I will give them a try and will post again if something works. I looked at pictures of the switch. It looks like there is a rivet that holds the wings together. That might be a tad loose? I am skilled at tightening rivets. I used to race HO thunderjet slot cars.

moreles

Reaction score
Is it Gibson? If not, and particularly if it's an Epi, the 3-ways are often pure garbage and can feel stiff or weird even when operating properly. If it's Switchcraft -- about the only decent make I know -- then bending the leaves usually does not work unmless you know what you're doing, and sometimes the fault is in the black plastic nub that pushes the leaves, and not in the leaves themselves. The nub doesn't really wear, but can get nicked and the no longer acts as it should. Cheap 3-ways really should be replaced with something solid, because the materials used do not function or hold up well at all.

TheGreenHornet

Reaction score
Is it Gibson? If not, and particularly if it's an Epi, the 3-ways are often pure garbage and can feel stiff or weird even when operating properly. If it's Switchcraft -- about the only decent make I know -- then bending the leaves usually does not work unmless you know what you're doing, and sometimes the fault is in the black plastic nub that pushes the leaves, and not in the leaves themselves. The nub doesn't really wear, but can get nicked and the no longer acts as it should. Cheap 3-ways really should be replaced with something solid, because the materials used do not function or hold up well at all.
It is a Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Latest Threads