Is there a high end Epi SG?

Dan18

Reaction score
I don’t suppose they make an SG style with the type of (Gibson) upgrades I have in my 60s Tribute Plus? I love my tribute and feel like it’s a huge bargain vs the Gibson price. Other than being heavy, it’s awesome. Wish I could get an EPI SG with Gibson pups, rosewood, switches etc.

LP1865

Reaction score
I don’t suppose they make an SG style with the type of (Gibson) upgrades I have in my 60s Tribute Plus? I love my tribute and feel like it’s a huge bargain vs the Gibson price. Other than being heavy, it’s awesome. Wish I could get an EPI SG with Gibson pups, rosewood, switches etc.
Just buy the SG Standard and upgrade the electronics or buy a used Gibson SG.

jvin248

Reaction score

+1 buy a 2020 Epi SG and swap in Gibson pickups AND Gibson pots 'n caps -- they are a system.

.... Or do like the Gibson buyers do: They get the Gibson "for the classic tones" and then quickly "upgrade" to Seymour Duncan pickups. So then you just buy SD pickups and find the Gibson pots 'n caps and you have "all the toanze" they were apparently seeking.

bungle

Reaction score
I played one of these. Nice guitar for sure but... that old headstock is kind of a buzz kill.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

+1 buy a 2020 Epi SG and swap in Gibson pickups AND Gibson pots 'n caps -- they are a system.

.... Or do like the Gibson buyers do: They get the Gibson "for the classic tones" and then quickly "upgrade" to Seymour Duncan pickups. So then you just buy SD pickups and find the Gibson pots 'n caps and you have "all the toanze" they were apparently seeking.

I don't understand...my Gibson is stock and I like it that way.

Troy McClure

Reaction score
No such thing as a high end epiphone SG, guess the Japanese Elite/LQ models are probably the closest you'll get and they no longer make those as far as I remember.

christopherJ

Reaction score
I am really liking my 2020 SG Custom. Ebony board is super nice! CTS electronics. The PUPs are not too shabby! It plays great, super in fact right out of the box.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Buy a used Gibson, I've seen them go for very reasonably.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Why is it that every single time someone on an Epiphone page ask for the best Epiphone for this or that, there's always someone that comes along with their "buy a Gibson" tiring comment ?

There was for a 2 year period (2003 to 2005) an Epiphone SG that was very close to a Gibson. The Vintage SG.

- Long neck tenon
- One piece neck
- Neck binding
- USA designed humbuckers
- CTS pots
- No veneer

I have two of those and every time I play a Gibson, I see no reason to get one.

If not, the new 2020 SG's are really really nice. Unfortunatly I find the humbucker equipped cherry ones have an awflully matched veneer, but the Probuckers in there are hard to beat. The P90 SG's though, are pretty close to their Gibson counterpart in every way.

christopherJ

Reaction score
If not, the new 2020 SG's are really really nice. Unfortunatly I find the humbucker equipped cherry ones have an awflully matched veneer, but the Probuckers in there are hard to beat. The P90 SG's though, are pretty close to their Gibson counterpart in every way.
Agree on both accounts. I have an Inverness Green P90 version and it feels and plays just like a Gibson. If handed one a dark stage, anyone would play at least one set thinking it a Gibson. Maybe two if you don't look at the headstock too close between sets. By the 3d set the drummer would ruin it for you and make fun of your Epi.

Right now those P90 warn finished are the best bargain in guitars.

LP1865

Reaction score
Why is it that every single time someone on an Epiphone page ask for the best Epiphone for this or that, there's always someone that comes along with their "buy a Gibson" tiring comment ?
Only a Gibson is good enough!!
Honestly tho, I can't believe they made a sticker saying that

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Only a Gibson is good enough!!
Honestly tho, I can't believe they made a sticker saying that
It’s history man! (And a cool story!)

1943-1947: The “Banner Years-“ when Gibson secretly made guitars by hiring a group of Women, as Men were in service or working as a Govt mandate was put in place directing all manufacturing be directed to win the war.

A2601D9A-1893-4337-875B-753ED194B27C.jpeg

-edit- at one time Gibson was actually “2nd fiddle” (or Mandolin, as it were) to Epiphone, who ruled the (Jazz) guitar roost, which might help to explain the motivations behind their choice of headstock banner?

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
OP is looking for an Epi SG with Gibson bells and whistles. For those extras to come stock, may as well buy the Gibby for a few shekels more....

HeavyAxe

Reaction score
I have an 05 Epiphone G400 Limited Edition Custom Shop 66 Reissue, that, while not as “high end” as an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, or a Signature model, is a great platform for mods-with the cheapest part of the guitar being the electronics.

I replaced the stock alnicos with the Gibson 496/500 combo and kept the controls stock-its a screamer!

I acquired this guitar in trade, but they carry a $200-$300 or so value.

Before and after photos

Attachments

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I’ve been keeping an eye out for an SG here the last month or so - never had one and thought that if I could find a used one at a good price, it’d be a fun project to mess with. I’ve heard that an Epi SG 400 is a great starting platform to upgrade, and I’m not familiar with the Pro or limited edition series, but those sound like they could be what I’m looking for. I missed out on a Pelham Blue one a few months back - not a huge fan of the black or cherry, but if the right deal comes along, color isn’t an issue really...

Latest Threads