Is there a good mic for recording off a Blues Jr IV?

2old2rock

Reaction score
I'm looking to eventually record some tracks and have considered just running the signal through a modeler but I'm old school and want to experiment with recording live sound. I have a recent model Fender Blues Jr. IV with the Celestion A-type 50W speaker. Is there any particular mic that would do it justice, or is it a lost cause?

rxbandit

Reaction score
I use a Sennheiser E906 live and I'm really happy with it

Dilver

Reaction score
Mic’ing an amp isn’t a lost cause, regardless of the amp. I‘ve had good results with a Sennheiser e609 and used a Triton audio Fethead with it, which really boosted the signal. You can also just use a Shure SM57.

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
Crown CM700 is a good guitar mic .....and also other things.....you can record alot of good tracks and instruments with a pair of CM700's

Your gonna have to learn the amp, the mic and some technique to get were you want to be..,,,

Review.....

Note....These mics are very affordable used...

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lotta guitar over decades have been recorded on SM57s.... Almost any good mic will work... Some better than others... Gonna EQ the tracks anyway....

ARandall

Reaction score
Why would you thing that the main method of recording amps since the dawn of time was a lost cause......

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer an Audix i5 for live guitar.... Great mic... Just a suggestion...

This may make somebody all poochie lipped but I'll say it anyway.

1. It is a given that no two speaker cabs or speakers or heads are 100% identical. Just ain't. Ain't in the same room. Ain't on the same type floor either. Mics ain't even 100% identical even though they are probably closer than the rest of the factors...

2. There is no correct placement of a mic in front of a speaker....not distance, not spot on speaker where it is pointed...and not even angle related to perpendicular line off speaker plane... Just ain't.

3. Go read 1&2 again....

Some center the dustcover (the center cap). Many don't.
Some go to where edge of dustcover glues to cone. (Cone is the entire paper part.)
Some do somewhere between dustcover and edge of cone.
Some do perfect perpendicular to speaker frame.
Some angle the mic a touch off-axis from perpendicular.

Takes a bit of experimentation with what you've got compared to what you want to hear, to find which is best for YOU.

It ain't wrong if it gets you the tone you want... There may be a better or easier method according to somebody or nuther but if it works for you, it works for you.

You can ALWAYS learn something from about anybody... Your call if you actually USE what they say... Worth a shot...

I will say this without reservation, I listen intently to anything Freddy may say as he has mondo experience studio and live.... I may decide in the end to do something a totally different way but I will damn sure consider his way. There are others that have experience too and I will consider what they or anybody says (that learning thing up above).... I know I don't know everything, haven't seen/heard everything, and probably not the sharpest pencil in the can... That leaves me more open to learn... but I 'have' seen stuff....dark and scary stuff... I'm just blessed (more of cursed) with a good memory... ;)

Get a mic and experiment.... You'll eventually find what is best for YOU and your gear....

We're all learning stuff right and left on a forum...if we pay attention....

I'm just here because I was told there was cake... :laugh2:

HCRoadie

Reaction score
manyMics.jpg

I like to have options.

2old2rock

Reaction score
Why would you thing that the main method of recording amps since the dawn of time was a lost cause......
I was referring to the amp specifically. I hear people complain mildly about Blues Jrs all the time, although this one apparently is one of the better ones.

I guess I'll look for a good deal on one of the aforementioned mics and have fun experimenting.

My basement is particularly live, it would be fun experimenting with an ambient signal on a separate track... Or even the sound bleed from upstairs. I can think of dozens of ideas to mess around with, if only I was retired so I could spend all day on it. ;)

PageSide84

Reaction score
Get an SM57. It's a hard-to-beat all-arounder. It's also built like a tank.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then there is the option of putting another mic behind the cab if open back... :)

Latest Threads