Is there a clean way to replace Gibson/Kluson tuners...

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any idea when the change took place?? One of mine is a 2008 and the other is a 2007 so woukd they be tone pro by chance?
I'm almost certain that it was after 2008. I'm thinking 2011 - 2012. In that case, your guitar wouldn't have the Tonepros. If they have the greenish keys, they are most certainly not Tonepros. The Tonepros had butterscotch colored buttons versus the green keys. Also would have TPK stamping (embossed) on the headstock side, along with the 2 line Kluson Deluxe imprint on the backs.

I'm miss the Tonepros. Great tuners.

Last edited:

Adamc

Reaction score
So just to be certain the classic antique I have has Grover deluxe vintage style tuners, if I got the Kluson rev locking tuners they would fit right? Just want to be sure because I kind of want to throw them on this thing

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Thanks! I might try them on my LP Traditional. I'm always a little reluctant to put locking tuners on an SG in case it makes it neck dive. I wouldn't mind having some more locking tuners though as string changes are starting to take up more time than I'd like although now I'm using my drill to wind :)
You don’t need no stinking drill......

759E52D9-CACA-443B-9A92-248D145ABFE8.jpeg

https://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP100?siid=338&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4PkBRCDARIsAGHmH3c2s80iyB_BQTW2HvfpC41dafC3hMkqRxMuHRDlcEReaojW2vIouRMaAo1xEALw_wcB

kekam35

Reaction score
As has already been posted....
Kluson Revolution. I replaced the original tuners on my Traditional with these after one of the super-duper high quality Gibson Deluxe tuners froze up on me. Direct replacement drop in. Took about fifteen minutes.

Roxy13

Reaction score

MSB

Reaction score
Did anyone mention Kluson Revolution tuners?
quite a few have, I have not used their locking ones yet, have you? But i've gotten old and crotchety, so their locking ones are the next on my radar.

MSB

Reaction score
Yeah I've had one of those for decades. It's better than not having one, but the drill is much nicer and you can get an attachment for it for $10. I have 2 12 strings so trust me when I say the drill attachment is worth it.
you're a better person than me, a 12 string is one of the few things in life I swore I would never do and actually stuck to it. But if they don't sound fantastic. I could watch Hotel California live on repeat the rest of my life.

Roxy13

Reaction score
you're a better person than me, a 12 string is one of the few things in life I swore I would never do and actually stuck to it. But if they don't sound fantastic. I could watch Hotel California live on repeat the rest of my life.
I have 2 mandolins, too, so 8 strings on each of those. Just think of your 12 string as 2 guitars you have to change strings on :) I'll be the first to say though that I consider them specialty guitars. They never have been nor ever will be my primary instrument. Same with the mandos. But, yes, when you want that sound...

Rando375

Premium Member
Reaction score
quite a few have, I have not used their locking ones yet, have you? But i've gotten old and crotchety, so their locking ones are the next on my radar.
Yes and they work very well. They're comparable to the Grover lockers on my LP Standard

MSB

Reaction score
I have 2 mandolins, too, so 8 strings on each of those. Just think of your 12 string as 2 guitars you have to change strings on :) I'll be the first to say though that I consider them specialty guitars. They never have been nor ever will be my primary instrument. Same with the mandos. But, yes, when you want that sound...
no thanks, 6 (or 4) is enough for me. I'll gladly play them at the store though, but when they go for a sale, I just have to laugh.

MSB

Reaction score
Yes and they work very well. They're comparable to the Grover lockers on my LP Standard
do you think they're lighter than your grovers? Both of my current LPs have the regular revolutions and to me they are lighter than their counterparts, but I never put them on a scale. The fact you add the thumbwheel has been the major turnoff to me, but Gotoh makes some that don't, but i'd have to get bushings... so I've been lazy and left them as is.

scozz

Reaction score
Those Kluson Revolutions look really beefy with those thick stems. I considered them when I bought the Grovers.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm with @Roxy13 Power Tools Rule! Locking Tuners not so much....
Seriously, the drill attachment is so nice to have and they are inexpensive. As for the only locking tuners I have, I have a love/hate relationship with them. Super fast string changes? Yes! They are aluminum and very lightweight so yes to that! But, a 12:1 ratio? Eh.

I have yet to hear a single bad thing about the Kluson Revolutions. That being said I have Gotoh tuners on several guitars and I can't say anything bad about those either. So for me it's a toss up between them. But, sure I wouldn't mind putting some locking tuners on some guitars to speed things up even more.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Put Kluson locking Revolutions on my Standard and love them.They replaced my Grover locking tuners.Did not like the design of the Grovers.

Latest Threads