Is there a big difference between tape and digital delay?

bobsessed

Reaction score
Sorry.....I have to repeat.....Unless you have Eric Johnson's dog-like hearing, there is no difference.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the attraction of the Echoplex was not as much the tape as the preamp.... Some studios with a back room full of plates and all kinds of high dollar 'wet' stuffins still had a couple of the old black boxen on a shelf....

As far as Delay itself, I like analog tape, analog SS, and digital... The tuneage dictates which is apropos....

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry.....I have to repeat.....Unless you have Eric Johnson's dog-like hearing, there is no difference.
I agree AND disagree with you. I said in one of my previous posts that a well maintained Tape unit, with fresh tape, is going to sound much more pristine than many think. In short, many people confuse or conflate analog BBD types with tape units.

With that said, Comparing a pedal like the Strymon El Cap and Boss DD series, with all the various parameters you can change, would quickly make your point erroneous.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
was gunna say 'bout 40db SN.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the audience won’t know the difference between your LP and a strat. Seriously doubt they will notice your vintage, digital or analog delay pedal. But those old tape delays are cool. I use the Tape setting on my canyon delay because I like the warbly chorusish sounds. FWIW.

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads