Is the new SG Standard gig bag a deal breaker for you?

Coxon2323

Reaction score
I know, it's a bit disappointing. A nice black hard case would of been ideal.
Anyways, I'am officially on the look for a great used SG Standard, I'l give it a month and if nothing found I'll pull the trigger on the soft gig bag new SG Standard.

MooCheng

Reaction score
disappointing it no longer comes with a hard case, but then there are cases and "cases"
some of the cheap hard cases are next to useless anyway

having always preferred hard cases, one of my Taylors came with a gig bag. It has to be one of the best gig bags around, super thick padding, zips that work and light to carry. I would'nt put it through check in but for carrying in an out its better than a lot of cheap badly fitting hard cases

Coxon2323

Reaction score
yeah I've seen the Taylor bags, they look awesome.
Anyways for anyone contemplating a new SG Standard, this hard cause could be worth a punt....

penguinchit

Reaction score
Is it that black bag that came with the 2014 Melody Makers or that new baby poop tan soft case-ish looking thing? Either way, the SG is still ugly.

Coxon2323

Reaction score
this is the case it comes with..

wmachine

Reaction score
A case is a case. Does not affect the guitar. Just something to factor in if you want to buy one and have a hard case. No reason other than cost for that to make or break a deal.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a big SG fan. Never really paid any mind to the neck breaking naysayers. Have to admit, my reaction to reading the question says otherwise. I've had a couple of LP's in the upgraded tan gig bag and loved them and it. Actually, really liked the thing. Felt totally comfortable, safe and secure with them. As much as I love em, the thought of an SG in a gig bag just doesn't work for me.

edselman

Reaction score
I had one of these cases until just a few months ago. They are amazing and every bit as good as the hard case. Too bad I had to let it go as I needed to move the guitar that was in it along in order to buy something else.

Moni

Reaction score
I want my cases hard. I even buy cases for things that usually come in gig bags. Gig bags are for people who are still riding their bicycles to go to a friend's house after school to jam.

Gibson is only THE premiere guitar maker on the planet and should start acting like it under new management.

Get rid of the effing gig bags and keep them for the lesser price point guitars for people who fit that budget. I'll cheerfully pay an extra $200.

bwillard

Reaction score
You know that you can buy cases directly from Gibson now? I know that Standards should come with cases but at least they offer the option.

arcticsg

Reaction score
You know that you can buy cases directly from Gibson now? I know that Standards should come with cases but at least they offer the option.
Unfortunately you do not get the same case that comes with the Stanndard '61, Special, or Junior. It's a little different. No Black or tan Tolex, just smooth gray covering like a Epiphone case. They fit tight, wich might be good if you find your junior fits to loose in the case it ships with.

arcticsg

Reaction score
A definite deal breaker for me. I bought a 2016 Standard and was shocked when it came with a gigbag. Thought it was a mistake at first, lol. I ended up buying the SG hardcase that Gibson sells separately for $200, marked Gibson Gear. Another total disappointment, this is not a production case that sells with the instruments they make. The case is not like the 2014 and earlier tolex cases, which are like the newer ones. They still use this case if you buy one separate for a 2019/Modern Standard, they just removed the word "Gear" from it.

Anyways after 2016, I told my self I would not buy another SG Standard without a factory hardcase included again, and I'm sticking to it. ;).

The thing that is weird is that the tan softcase retails for $149.99 and that stand alone Gibson Gear hard case retails for $200. Why don't the just include thes same brown tolex case that they already use on the Special, Junior, and the Standard '61s and just take on the extra $50 in difference?? That would be $1,549 for a 2019 Standard. The 2018 SG Standards listed for 1,539. Really, for a ten dollar difference, you then choose going to the softcase route to make the whole package look less expensive?? Incredible! :facepalm:

Everyone I know would gladly pay $50 more for the standard hardcase that most the other SGs ship with. This is the SG Standard after all.

Last edited:

Coxon2323

Reaction score
A definite deal breaker for me. I bought a 2016 Standard and was shocked when it came with a gigbag. Thought it was a mistake at first, lol. I ended up buying the SG hardcase that Gibson sells separately for $200, marked Gibson Gear. Another total disappointment, this is not a production case that sells with the instruments they make. The case is not like the 2014 and earlier tolex cases, which are like the newer ones. They still use this case if you buy one separate for a 2019/Modern Standard, they just removed the word "Gear" from it.

Anyways after 2016, I told my self I would not buy another SG Standard without a hardcase again, and I'm sticking to it. ;).

The thing that is weird is that the tan softcase retails for $149.99 and that stand alone Gibson Gear hard case retails for $200. Why don't the just include thes same brown tolex case that they already use on the Special, Junior, and the Standard '61s and just take on the extra $50 in difference?? That would be $1,549 for a 2019 Standard. The 2018 SG Standards listed for 1,539. Really, for a ten dollar difference, you then choose going to the softcase route to make the whole package look less expensive?? Incredible! :facepalm:

Everyone I know would gladly pay$50 more for the standard hardcase that most the other SGs ship with. This is the SG Standard after all.
I Managed to get a nice hard case for £75 with my SG Standard and they took £80 off the price of the SG. So that is a soft and hard case plus the SG for. £1195 :D

arcticsg

Reaction score
I Managed to get a nice hard case for £75 with my SG Standard and they took £80 off the price of the SG. So that is a soft and hard case plus the SG for. £1195 :D
You're missing my point, but that's okay. I realize other cases can be had, and cheap. My issue is that their flagship SG Standard should ship with a factory hardcase like they always have in the past (other than 2016). The part that grinds is they include that case with what has always been considers lessor models, the Special and Junior.

Anyways, congratulations on your new SG package! :dude: Be sure to post picks when you get it. You know we all love pics! :D