Is the Faber "Gottfried" just a cheap chinese pedal?

TheKat

Reaction score
Faber is perhaps best known as a reputable source for "tone enhancing" replacement bridges for Les Paul type guitars.

But they also sell an overdrive pedal named "Gottfried" (like the owner) for about 130 €

A buyer of this pedal opened it. He found "Caline" and "CP20" printed on the PCB. After he realized that such a pedal was indeed available on the internet for about 40 Euros, he bought that also. He claims he found no noticeable differences between the two pedals, except from the exterior paint. Link to the relevant thread (in German)

I've looked at the photos (photos of the two PCBs next to another can be found further down in the thread). The pedals have the same construction and controls, the only difference is the paint. The PCBs do not only look similar, but as if they came off the same production batch from the same company. I'm reasonably sure that the Gottfried is a rebranded cheap pedal, bought "as made in china" by Faber. Making a nice profit by marking it up 200% compared to the end user price of the Caline effect.

Faber's only comment that I know of is that "the circuit is different from the CP-20". I think this is a blatant lie when I look at the photos.

Well, it's not April, and if this is not an elaborate hoax, I find it disturbing. Remember the Vertex Wah scandal?

(Also posted in the EpiphoneTalk forum)

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
To answer your question:
It does seem so.

I guess Capitalists will capital.
And Brand owners will Brand in, Brand out.

fry

Reaction score
Wouldn’t be the first time. Google “Freekish Blues Alpha Drive”. Same scenario exactly. A guy repainted Joyo pedals and sold them as hand wired boutiques. Conned quite a few people.
DE1DC718-E767-4894-97BC-3E035FA968F1.jpeg

Latest Threads