Is the Custom really worth the price?

River

Reaction score
You people need to think less about what other people might think about you.
What he said.

If you like Customs, pony up. If you have to ask, go cheap - get a Special. or even a Junior. Intonation and neck pickups are for wusses anyway. :slash:

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked it out and I believe these are guitars that were bought and returned so they discount them because they are used. This would explain the lower price. GC and Musicians Friend still sell the Tri Burst at regular prices for new ones. Gibson Custom 1968 Les Paul Custom Flame Top Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

The ones on clearance have been hanging around the stores for quite some time, but they are definitely still new and not returns.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
For the money, it has to be worth A/B'ing with an R8 or R9 before buying anything. Yes, the historics don't have the 'bling'of the Custom but they are built by the Custom Shop and - in my experience, at least - way better than anything else Gibson produce.

If you like the black custom - I say go for the Lou Pallo signature LP. That's an absolute beauty and has a Dirty Fingers in the bridge and P90 in the neck pickup to keep your pickup options flexible!

bigdaddy496

Reaction score
i think there is a difference, at least in the neck shape. i love my custom.

dazzypig

Reaction score
Got one in white last year (Custom) in white. Love it!

Ides of March

Reaction score
Didya find one yet?

Yeah I ordered one yesterday, the Ebony one. I figured just because Randy Rhoads played a white custom isn't really a reason to get one for me. And I really after a while wasn't digging it much anymore. Everytime I went into Sam Ash or GC I would immediately go over and look at the black customs, and stare and then slowly walk over to the pedals and get strings lol. I would have gone for a silverburst but I haven't even seen any on the net lefty. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow by the end of the day, which I hope is before the wife comes home:laugh2:

Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it. That's why this place is soooo great for us Les Paul guys....Can't wait to add my 3rd one.

roadhog96

Reaction score
The ones on clearance have been hanging around the stores for quite some time, but they are definitely still new and not returns.

Then that would make them a super fantastic buy. I think one reason they hang around in the stores so long is they are priced higher than most of the other LP models they carry. Everytime I go into GC the place is full of very young people, I'm talking under 20 and I doubt most of them could afford something that expeinsive. Anyone who can afford to pay that much usually goes for the higher end Historic models unless the 68's price is around their budget limit. The 68 is somewhere in the middle price wise. I hardly ever see to many older players buying guitars, they usually pick up supplies like strings, picks, etc. Seems most of them I have talked to have had their guitars for years, won't part with them, and don't have to much good to say about the newer guitars.

Latest Threads