Is the Custom really worth the price?

Ides of March

Reaction score
Personally, I think this Custom is worth the price . . .

gibson%20les%20paul%20custom%2068%20ri%20tri%20burstDSCN9670.jpg

I had the pleasure of playing one in a shop a few months back. So help me, my only regret is that I didn't have the $2800 to buy here right then and there. She played as beautifully as my R6, my Classic Antique, and my Studio, especially through a Fender amp.

And as far as the appearance goes, it's the only Les Paul with black trim that doesn't make me want to puke.

With all due respect bro, I do not find that color style appealing at all. I think it's ugly.

EasyAce

Reaction score
With all due respect bro, I do not find that color style appealing at all. I think it's ugly.

Well, bro, with all due respect . . . I'd rather look at a triburst Custom than another Black Beauty or goldtop anything . . . ;)

geezberry

Reaction score
Personally, I think this Custom is worth the price . . .

gibson%20les%20paul%20custom%2068%20ri%20tri%20burstDSCN9670.jpg

I had the pleasure of playing one in a shop a few months back. So help me, my only regret is that I didn't have the $2800 to buy here right then and there. She played as beautifully as my R6, my Classic Antique, and my Studio, especially through a Fender amp.

And as far as the appearance goes, it's the only Les Paul with black trim that doesn't make me want to puke.

That is the ultimate guitar. One of those that if i only could have one, it could be that one.

Ides of March

Reaction score
Well, bro, with all due respect . . . I'd rather look at a triburst Custom than another Black Beauty or goldtop anything . . . ;)

Ok take it easy I was trying to be nice:shock: That's cool if you dig the tri burst I just dont think it's attractive at all. For me the black or white and for now I am leaning towards the black looks amazing. And for the record I don't like goldtops either. So I agree with you on that one.

EasyAce

Reaction score
And for the record I don't like goldtops either. So I agree with you on that one.

The thing is, the goldtops could look spectacular, but they really don't. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe if more of them came with darkbacks?

Ides of March

Reaction score
The thing is, the goldtops could look spectacular, but they really don't. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe if more of them came with darkbacks?

Yeah maybe...I just never liked the look of them. I always like the Heritage Cherry Sunburst better cause of all the legends that played with that color probably.

outskirts of infinity

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm trying to imagine that tri-color burst custom with cream plastics instead of black. Anyone got a pic of such a guitar? Or at least one without the pickguard?

I only like black plastics on black/white guitars.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The 68 reissue is a far mellower sound than the regular custom, which is THE best guitar in the world for loud rock music. You gotta play both.

Hotspur

Reaction score
With all this talk about cosmetic stuff, I feel like the real thing you're paying for is being overlooked.

Gibson QC is, as we all know, very hit and miss. There are great Standards and Trads out there, and there are real lemons.

From what I've heard, the quality of everything coming out of the custom shop appears to be pretty high. There's just a higher level of attention to detail in every aspect of the guitar.

Ides of March

Reaction score
With all this talk about cosmetic stuff, I feel like the real thing you're paying for is being overlooked.

Gibson QC is, as we all know, very hit and miss. There are great Standards and Trads out there, and there are real lemons.

From what I've heard, the quality of everything coming out of the custom shop appears to be pretty high. There's just a higher level of attention to detail in every aspect of the guitar.

Yeah I know that part about the attention level in the custom shop, which is why I am not concerned about the quality of the guitar, Customs have great reps, I mean yeah you get lemons I'm sure. But like I said being left handed I can't play any in the stores around me. But for what I'm getting the color and look of what I want is very important.

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
All I know is how much I loved my Trad Plus until I bought an R7! My R7 is about 3 pounds lighter than my Trad AND it's solid. Go figure! The BB1 and 2 sound sweet and the overall quality and attention to detail really shines though.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Yeah maybe...I just never liked the look of them. I always like the Heritage Cherry Sunburst better cause of all the legends that played with that color probably.

*chuckle* I just love the look of the cherryburst. Especially if you see one where the burst and its flames fan just about to the edges of the lower body.

I've never been crazy about ebony or white bodies or tops, though the one exception I've seen---well, make it two: one of our members has a beautiful R6 with ebony top and lightback body, and the Lou Pallo sig model Les Paul has a similar top and body combination. Beautiful lookers, those.

Kezia

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend an Edwards Les Paul Custom if you want a great high-quality Les Paul Custom for a lower price than a Gibson.

guitarfish

Reaction score
A nice cream colored Custom makes my knees wobble. But they are pretty steep, I'd have to have the money to spare, and really want one to justify it. I get by just fine with my flame top Standard.

scozz

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm trying to imagine that tri-color burst custom with cream plastics instead of black.
I only like black plastics on black/white guitars.

I've always preferred sunbursts' with cream plastic. Bursts with black plastic don't do a thing for me.

Having said that, There's something special about Customs to me. Completely different feel from a Standard. I've owned numerous Standards and some Studios, and while each of them have their own character, They FEEL similar to me. I just prefer the feel and the playability of a Custom. myself. Since its inception the Custom has been considered, (as the old saying goes...) the "Cadillac" of the Les Paul line.

82 Oxblood Custom, all original, Tim Shaw pickups.

100_2078.jpg

roadhog96

Reaction score

Just about every picture I see of those Tri Burst look horrible. I have one and it doesn't even look any were close to the way it does in pictures. I don't know what it is about the Tri Burst that makes it take bad photo's but in person it sure looks a whole lot better. Most photo's have to much glare from the flash and the amber and cherry look to washed out.

I've probably heard as many people say they like it as I have that say they don't. I guess that's what makes the world go round. I personaly do not like the looks of most Cherry Burst LP's and their very popular.

When I walked into the store to look at LP's there had to be somewhere around 15-20 hanging on the wall. This one stood out above all the rest. This guitar plays like butter and sounds fantastic. As it's been mentioned many times before on this forum, it's one of the best buys today from Gibson. It's built identical to the 57 Custom only it has a maple cap instead of Mohogany and different PUP's.
Gibson Custom 1957 Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty (No Bigsby)) | Sweetwater.com

roadhog96

Reaction score
Actually I stand corrected--they are discontinuing them for $2899 (which is still a deal better than $3499 and better than the original selling price of $3999).

Search for the model number CS68GC3BGH at GC's home page and the clearance page will come up. No prices are listed (you have to call the store), but you can put in a zip code to find the ones closest to you or check the box to see all stores nationwide that have them). I've called several stores and they all say $2899 except for one (I forget where) that said $2499 but their only one in stock had a repaired neck break.

I checked it out and I believe these are guitars that were bought and returned so they discount them because they are used. This would explain the lower price. GC and Musicians Friend still sell the Tri Burst at regular prices for new ones. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...-Flame-Top-Electric-Guitar-515527-i1795998.gc

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
buy a custom atleast, its the only guitar thats ever blown me away. Ive played tons of Les pauls, but nothing feels like the custom. :d

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
I'd have to say that nothing else compares to the Customs...Yes there are others that i like,but the Customs are 1 better.

Gibson or Epi...I personally think the Customs are way better.

zslane

Reaction score
I would also suggest holding out until a used lefty shows up on eBay. I bought my white custom in NM condition for $1900 a couple of years back. Now, granted, that was during the height of the economic meltdown when everyone and their brother were unloading amazing guitars on the cheap just to pay rent. Nevertheless, I feel that buying used is still a much better option than buying new, unless of course you absolutely must have that warranty to make you feel safe and secure...

Latest Threads