Is the Custom really worth the price?

sc-closer

Reaction score
Customs are generally heavier. I asked a local expert about this and this is what we decided. Slightly thicker body, neck, extra binding, slightly larger headstock, real MOP block inlays (weigh more than the plastic trapezoids), heavier duty metal tuners and of course the ebony fretboard. All of these items add a little weight each, and add up to customs generally weighing in a bit heavier than standards (each being weight relieved).
I have had both. My first 3 LP's were standards. 4th was a custom. Then back to standards for years. I now have another custom. There is no doubt about it, a black custom makes a statement. Beautiful and impressive. You take one on stage and the audience expects that you mean business. The last standard I had was an 1985 all stock. My Custom is a 2007 stock except I swapped out for top hat knobs (I did not like the speed knobs). Anyway, my Custom, even with the 498/490 pups seems to have a bit sweeter sound. But the standard seemed to be a bit blusier. Of course, this is all subjective.
I would not worry about playing ability...if you have enough ability to recognize a fine guitar, you appreciate the quality of the instrument, and you can afford to purchase it, then by all means get it if that is what you want. I mean, I'm not the best looking fella in the world, but that did not stop me from marrying a pretty woman. Marry up, purchase up!

Texas Joe

Reaction score
A custom is a custom... no two ways about it. IMO... The custom I would get would be black with nickel or hardware... never been a big fan of gold but I could get used to it. Is just a beautiful guitar. White or Black... as far as what people would expect from you when you pull it out... I can say with a bit of certainly that a lot of MLP's find them to be works of art as well.

Bottom line... Buy the guitar that feels best to. Its been said countless times, but I still convince myself that I NEED to buy certain guitars. Then I look at the bank account :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Lood luck and let u know what you decide

geezberry

Reaction score
A Custom is one of those guitars you want to buy used. When you buy new, you lose $1500 the second you walk out the door with it. BTW, you have the upper hand being left handed because those selling lefties have a hard time finding buyers. Many show up on ebay etc. have patience and negotiate. Go for the Custom.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
is the custom worth the money?
well Gibson has sold a whole lot of them over the years!!!!!
so a whole lot of people must think that they are worth the investment!!!!

rjshare

Reaction score
The custom is a very elegant look. For me personally, they are not my style. I do not feel like I am a good enough player to whip that out. If I showed some people that guitar, they would expect to hear something epic and I would disappoint with a 3 chord punk jam.

i totally agree with you and feel the same way, BUT...

jonkoping.jpg

perhaps the exception to the rule, but still.

images

Lowdown

Reaction score
If you have to ask if they're worth it,then you really haven't done your homework or even played one before,by the sounds of things. And I'm not trying to be facetious either.

Yes,they are worth it.
BUT,you can get one much cheaper than the price you've been quoted.

Get in contact with Brett from Eddie's Guitars who frequents this forum and has helped out countless others on this site including myself.
He comes highly recommended.
Tell him what you want/have in mind and he will look after you.

Maybe even think about stepping up to an Historic if you can pony up the money you say you can...

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'd personally skip the regular Custom and buy a reissue.
Brett is the man. :thumb:

nick1962

Reaction score
The custom is a very elegant look. For me personally, they are not my style. I do not feel like I am a good enough player to whip that out. If I showed some people that guitar, they would expect to hear something epic and I would disappoint with a 3 chord punk jam.

Hey, you don't have to be a Formula One driver to own a Ferrari.......

neuronic

Reaction score

Most honest post ever. I'm still not even good enough to do justice to my Traditional. I'd feel like a poser with a 3000.00 plus guitar. It's bad enough I still play a Marshall half stack in the house by myself.

You people need to think less about what other people might think about you.

It's your life (and your money, you worked for it), you can basically do whatever you want to make yourself a happy man (as long as nobody gets hurt^^)
Just try to forget about other people judging you, most of them are utter morons that don't know you at all... so who cares?

Peace.

Ides of March

Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Ok, have I ever played a Custom.. No I haven't. I have held one but never played one be it the fact I have never seen a left handed one. As far as historics go, I have a HCS Traditional and was looking for something different. I have always wanted a custom mostly because I like the look and sound from what I have heard, Randy, Sykes, Bill Keiler from Mastadon, and some others I like play them, Steve Jones. Which isn't really a reason but that sums it up pretty much. My studio sounds great, I like it, my first Gibson. My Trad is my main guitar and I love that one. I wanted a Custom to sum it up pretty much and add it to my arsenal. Can I afford it, yes. Mom and Pop stores with lefties, nil. So pretty much I would either hit ebay or order it from a site. I love the les paul, it fits me right, and I really haven't played any other guitar in 9 years except that. I hate Fenders, Not really a metal player for the Jacksons and ESP's, PRS are not my thing so I stick with what I love and am comfortable with. And if I can score a custom and have the studio, trad and that I should be good for a while.

dspelman

Reaction score
A couple of comments...

The Custom is pretty much my choice when it comes to LPs. I don't care for the tittypink plastics and binding on the run of the mill production guitars. Ain't gonna happen. I'm not going to go for a pre-yellowed version, either. It's gotten to the point where there are so many more "aged" and reliced guitars out there that NOW no one assumes your guitar is old and battle worn. They assume the opposite; that you got it off the rack that way and that it's simply part of the paint job. Like "distressed" finish furniture. Relicing, by being popular, has completely lost its cachet and mojo.

The Customs have *white* multi-layer binding on headstock and body, and a larger headstock shape. The fretboard is ebony (my favorite; rosewood may appear on some expensive guitars these days, but it was originally a low-end student guitar/midrange guitar wood). The inlays on the rosewood fretboards are plastic ("Pearloid"). On the customs, they're real MOP. Ditto the headstock inlays.

I've got customs with the same frets as any other LP; there have been some with lower frets in the past, but that's not something that is a Custom characteristic.

I don't think it's more or less elegant, nor do you have to live up to it. What with every single Disney character sporting a Custom, that's completely gone by the wayside. As Dolly Parton (godmother of one Disney puffball) says, "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap!"

geezberry

Reaction score
I can assure you a Historic will not play or sound better than a Custom. All the hoopla about historics is that they are vintage correct. That's about it. They are like a classic car and a Custom is like a new Lamborghini. I picked up an R0 and i was not impressed. My 79 Standard blew it away.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Personally, I think this Custom is worth the price . . .

gibson%20les%20paul%20custom%2068%20ri%20tri%20burstDSCN9670.jpg

I had the pleasure of playing one in a shop a few months back. So help me, my only regret is that I didn't have the $2800 to buy here right then and there. She played as beautifully as my R6, my Classic Antique, and my Studio, especially through a Fender amp.

And as far as the appearance goes, it's the only Les Paul with black trim that doesn't make me want to puke.

roadhog96

Reaction score

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a local GC selling it for $2499. Online it's 3499.97. I'd say grab it for $2499. These 68 Customs are pretty nice, been lots of good reports on these models. GC models have the slim 60's taper necks vs. the regular 68 Customs that have the fat 50's necks.
Gibson Custom 1968 Les Paul Custom Flame Top Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Actually I stand corrected--they are discontinuing them for $2899 (which is still a deal better than $3499 and better than the original selling price of $3999).

Search for the model number CS68GC3BGH at GC's home page and the clearance page will come up. No prices are listed (you have to call the store), but you can put in a zip code to find the ones closest to you or check the box to see all stores nationwide that have them). I've called several stores and they all say $2899 except for one (I forget where) that said $2499 but their only one in stock had a repaired neck break.

Ides of March

Reaction score
I can assure you a Historic will not play or sound better than a Custom. All the hoopla about historics is that they are vintage correct. That's about it. They are like a classic car and a Custom is like a new Lamborghini. I picked up an R0 and i was not impressed. My 79 Standard blew it away.

Agreed. I am going to get one (custom) just deciding between black and white.
I am not that into the historic stuff, they look like beautiful guitars and all but from what I heard the Custom is what I like.

Latest Threads