Is the Custom really worth the price?

Ides of March

Reaction score
I actually have the green light to purchase a Custom....I am wanting the white one like Randy's. But I know they come with the 490/498's which are the same as my studio. And I'm left handed so not really looking used can't find many. But for the tag I'm assuming the wood is better, and some bells and whistles? Is it really worth 3800 or is it an overpriced guitar in your opinion. My second option was the trad pro.

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I had the option of buying a LP, and could get either a Custom or a Standard, I would pick a Custom. Why not try a Custom, VOS, '59 RI...

DanL

Reaction score
the differences are mainly cosmetic. You have pinstripes and plastic binding. you also have binding on the headstock, and back of the guitar. ebony fretboards are on the customs as well. you also get a little more inlay because they're square opposed to trapezoids. the old customs had mahogany tops too instead of maple i believe, but now they use maple just like standards so the tonal differences are minimal.

fiveightandten

Reaction score
This is one of those things that you will have to answer for yourself. There are aesthetic differences for sure, the binding being the main difference.

The custom is slightly thicker. In theory you would think it would be made with better wood, but who knows. Outside of the binding, the main differences will be:
-Ebony fretboard (unless your studio has that)
-Frets are lower, makes for a different feel...but keep in mind, they'll need replacing sooner than the taller frets on your studio, and replacing frets on a bound neck is more expensive and intrusive.
-Neck size and shape. The custom will most likely have a thicker neck.

Ides of March

Reaction score
This is one of those things that you will have to answer for yourself. There are aesthetic differences for sure, the binding being the main difference.

The custom is slightly thicker. In theory you would think it would be made with better wood, but who knows. Outside of the binding, the main differences will be:
-Ebony fretboard (unless your studio has that)
-Frets are lower, makes for a different feel...but keep in mind, they'll need replacing sooner than the taller frets on your studio, and replacing frets on a bound neck is more expensive and intrusive.
-Neck size and shape. The custom will most likely have a thicker neck.

Yeah, I like the frets being lower actually, that's a good thing. Thicker neck that depends on how much thicker than my studio and trad.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Rosewood fretboards have less snap and more bloom. What quality do you want more?

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
The custom is a very elegant look. For me personally, they are not my style. I do not feel like I am a good enough player to whip that out. If I showed some people that guitar, they would expect to hear something epic and I would disappoint with a 3 chord punk jam.

Ides of March

Reaction score
The custom is a very elegant look. For me personally, they are not my style. I do not feel like I am a good enough player to whip that out. If I showed some people that guitar, they would expect to hear something epic and I would disappoint with a 3 chord punk jam.

Me either bro lol. But I figure this would probably be my last Gibby purchase for a long long time so I might as well make it a good one. I love my Trad, I don't really bond with the studio that well but it does sound great. If I had the Custom I would probably practice alot more and become more dedicated with something of that worth. I would have too right? I just don't know if I want the white or black one. Randy's wasn't really that white and the black one is really killer.

acstorfer

Reaction score
If you prefer a Custom, it's worth it. If you prefer a Standard, it isn't.

Personally, I'm a Standard kinda guy. Always thought with most people it's one or the other. I am reminded here at MLP I am once again wrong. Apparently, many folk love both.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I was recently in the market for a Custom, the black one, and was dissapointed that they do not all have the speed frets. I think that you have to get into the $5000 range to get those.

Ides of March

Reaction score
Well I love the feel of my Trad, I don't know how much lower the fretwire on the custom is, I am going to have to go to GC and hold one, see what's what. If there is a large difference between the trad and custom I may have to choose something else.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
Well, if you are picking between the white and the black, I like the white one better.

outskirts of infinity

Reaction score
First, if you're paying $3800 for a new custom, you're paying way too much. I have seen them being sold new for under 3K by authorized Gibson mom & pop stores.

In addition to what others have already said, current customs are swiss-cheesed, whereas the current studios are chambered, so expect the custom to weigh more.

Finally, ask yourself which is more likely to happen:

#1. You buy the custom, but later wished you had bought the studio instead.

or

#2. You buy the studio, but later wished you had bought the custom instead.

The answer to that question should tell you which one you ought to go with.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Never pay whats on the tag make a fair offer and go from there.
If you show you are serious they will work with you if not walk out and buy somewhere else.
I bought an R8 a while back and the tag said $3900 I paid a more reasonable $2600.

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
I'd keep looking used on ebay if I were you. You could get a yellowed Custom like Randy's was. I'd look for a later 70's early 80's. Some of those have yellowed nicely. If you don't see what you are looking for right away, just keep looking. The key is to be patient. Your guitar will come up and it will be about $1200 cheaper(maybe even cheaper than that), than a new Custom. Plus it will have thee mojo. Well that's my opinion on the matter. Do what you will. :cool:

Turrican

Reaction score

Most honest post ever. I'm still not even good enough to do justice to my Traditional. I'd feel like a poser with a 3000.00 plus guitar. It's bad enough I still play a Marshall half stack in the house by myself.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I don't know. what do you mean by bloom.

Bloom is the quality of the note not having a sharp attack, but because of good sustain qualities, and human expectations about the note dying out, it seems as if the note swells or grows after it is struck.

Of course, it doesn't do so, and it cannot, physically. But the feel of the note not dying as quickly presents that to the ears.

Luka_Luka!

Reaction score

You sure?

2995082974_158d24fef0_o.jpg

Better yet...

miley%20cyrus%202.jpg

Latest Threads