Is the classic going to be lighter than a standard?

Plant man

Reaction score
Am looking to get one. I already have a 50s standard. Would it be worth getting a classic for the weight relief and pickups?

ARandall

Reaction score
9 hole weight relief could as likely be heavier as lighter. Its not much wood removed really.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I doubt you will find a significant difference between them.
It seems the bodies selected for weight relief are a bit more dense so the material removed puts them back in that “sweet spot” desired range.

The days of really heavy Les Pauls are long gone.
Gibson is much more selective in their bodies than the Norlin years.
Which one remains intact, which one gets drilled, which one gets chambered…

Plant man

Reaction score
I doubt you will find a significant difference between them.
It seems the bodies selected for weight relief are a bit more dense so the material removed puts them back in that “sweet spot” desired range.

The days of really heavy Les Pauls are long gone.
Gibson is much more selective in their bodies than the Norlin years.
Which one remains intact, which one gets drilled, which one gets chambered…
My standard is about 9.5 lbs. should I look for a classic that about 8 lbs or even at 9 lbs

Slim Chance

Reaction score
I bought a Classic and it was 8.4 lbs. I bought a 50s Standard and it weighed 8.4. Both are great guitars. I sold the Classic because I greatly preferred the neck shape of the 50s. You really have to go on a case by case search to know which of those two models is lighter

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Agreed to what was said above -- I have a 9-hole Les Paul that is just over 9 lbs. So choose the Classic or Standard based upon its features and price point, and then find one that at the weight you want. The nice thing is that retailers like Sweetwater (et al) tell you the weight up front so there is no guessing.

Wes T

Reaction score
Just for reference......I weighed.
1997 LP Studio DC=7 lbs. 4 oz.
2007 Classic 60's=8 lbs. 10 oz.
2022 Heritage H-150=9 lbs. 4 oz.
1977 L5s=8lbs. 12 oz.

Smitstof

Reaction score
Am looking to get one. I already have a 50s standard. Would it be worth getting a classic for the weight relief and pickups?
It is somewhat lighter - the Classic is app. one kg (1.000 gr) lighter than the Stardard - due to the Classics "nine hole weight relief" - which doesn't affect sound or sustain (I have a Classic) :) Gibson build quality in 2022 is HIGH!!! Get one!

RMLamey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not necessarily. They both vary widely in weight.

I have 2 2022 Standards. One is 8.1 (faded 50s), one is 8.6 (umburst). I do however look for lighter Les Pauls, not simply because of the feel, but to my ear the lighter ones are more resonant, ymmv.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, the Classic is not really lighter than the new Standards, right around the same which each one sold varying a bit. My 2022 Classic is 9.9lbs.

LesPaulClassic_9.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
It is somewhat lighter - the Classic is app. one kg (1.000 gr) lighter than the Stardard - due to the Classics "nine hole weight relief" - which doesn't affect sound or sustain (I have a Classic) :) Gibson build quality in 2022 is HIGH!!! Get one!
You are merely comparing 2 individual instruments - this is incredibly misleading. Weighing a blank before and after the 9 hole would only save 6 or 7 Oz.

IronHeadSlim

Reaction score
My ‘21 Std 60s is 10lb 2 oz and my ‘21 Classic is 10lb 8 oz. I like heavy but don’t play long sets. I knew the weights beforehand, Std from Sam Ash & Classic from Sweetwater.

They play and sound exactly the same to my 64 year old ears, acoustically and plugged in. Same pickups stock, one covered, one exposed.

Latest Threads