Is the 911557 LP out there?

J557

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m wondering if anyone had a Murphy lab LP with the serial # 911557. I saw some very close to this on sweeth2o webzsite so I’ve always wondered if there was one out there. My reason is this. I’m am a firefighter and my badge number is 557 hence the 911557. When I saw similar numbers it was around the time that Gibson was taking a beating for their flaking finish so maybe it doesn’t exist. On the off chance that it is out there would the owner be willing to send me a pick to satisfy my curiosity? I do thank you for any help.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they go to six digits in 2011?
They didn't make a Murphy Lab model in 2011,... maybe 2021.....

...and it very well can be,... as the serial numbers covered all 1959 reissue models and that would include "Murphy Lab" models.

I would call Gibson Custom and ask if that serial number exists,... or just run that number by them and see what turns up.

You may get a 2011 R9 or a 2021 R9 model or both,.... it would be just luck if it's '59 LP Standard reissue or it could be a Junior or a ES335 or another '59 model.....even more luck if it was a Murphy Lab. They all share the same number format.

Last edited:

J557

Reaction score
The reason I mentioned Murphy Lab was because I saw very close serial numbers to what I’m looking for. Maybe I didn’t see my muse because it’s a reused number? I’ll try Gibson themselves but I figured I’d start here first. Thanks all.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned Murphy Lab was because I saw very close serial numbers to what I’m looking for. Maybe I didn’t see my muse because it’s a reused number? I’ll try Gibson themselves but I figured I’d start here first. Thanks all.
Originally (in 1959) that serial number format (9 XXXX or an additional digit) would be used on all Gibson 1959 models, not just Les Paul Standards. Gibson Custom has been using it in the very same way. Whatever models that Gibson Custom makes that are 1959 models will use this serial number format.

Your example of 911557 does not mean there are 1557 R9 Les Paul Standards to that number. Some of that total can be other models as well....and yes.... every 10 years the numbers are "reused" again on a number of different Gibson Custom 1959 reissue models.

Your number could be used on anything that the Custom Shop made as a 1959 reissue....Junior, ES335, Flying V, Explorer, Special, whatever they decide is a '59 model..... even Made-to-Measure instruments.

No telling what that number would wind up being.

J557

Reaction score
Originally (in 1959) that serial number format (9 XXXX or an additional digit) would be used on all Gibson 1959 models, not just Les Paul Standards. Gibson Custom has been using it in the very same way. Whatever models that Gibson Custom makes that are 1959 models will use this serial number format.

Your example of 911557 does not mean there are 1557 R9 Les Paul Standards to that number. Some of that total can be other models as well....and yes.... every 10 years the numbers are "reused" again on a number of different Gibson Custom 1959 reissue models.

Your number could be used on anything that the Custom Shop made as a 1959 reissue....Junior, ES335, Flying V, Explorer, Special, whatever they decide is a '59 model..... even Made-to-Measure instruments.

No telling what that number would wind up being.
The kibble but I looked around gave me the same impression. I was just hoping someone here might have it. It was probably the weight weenie guy.

Latest Threads