Is sustain overrated?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this video with an interesting claim in which you actually get sustain from pickups/pedals/amps/fx/etc rather than wood resonance, the latter being important to a tactile feedback stand point for us players, as in getting physical response from the instrument.

What do you think?

He gets deeper into it with some examples in case anyone’s interested.

Airplane

Reaction score
my humble opinion…

1. depending on the style of music it is really overrated.
2. if you want sustain it has to be in the construction of the guitar. pedals are cheating.
3. boycott vloggers!

BDW60

Reaction score
I almost never watch these YouTubers. I did watch this vid ... he makes some good points but if you’re a guy like me who plays a 15 watt tube amp with a touch of reverb goosed by a cheap (but good) Klone, and usually no other effects, yes, a guitar that has inherent natural sustain is much better than one that doesn’t. To me, anyway.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love it because it’s always easier to reduce it on a guitar with technique than work around when when want it and can’t get it.

Zylo

Reaction score
This guys a idiot I have no respect to what he says

While back he posted an attention seeing video about how stressed he was and felt burnt-out with all the pressure he feels with making content for youtube

A few days later he starts uploading new videos...

Mookakian

Reaction score
Is sustain overrated, no its just a means to obtaining a sound we can use to express our art. It takes practice to control these things and when you do its pretty damn fun

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't stand Rhett Shull anymore. I hate his face in every video thumbnail, too. I realize that I'm a petty ass, but there it is. He talks soo muuccchh, and out of his ass most of the time.

He's a tasteful player though, I admit. I just can't watch another of his videos without losing my mind.

NotScott

Reaction score
Playing with sustain is just like playing another style of music or another instrument. It requires unique techniques and approaches to make it sound musical, which should always be the goal.

As for Shull's videos, I am also not a fan. He just seems to rub me the wrong way and I have seen a couple of his videos where he clearly did not know what he was talking about.

ARandall

Reaction score
Sustain as in just how long the note lasts before it eventually dies is almost irrelevant. What is useful is the portion of time that the note lasts with its full frequency spectrum before dulling off. Thats where your technique can help, but a completely dull guitar might take a genius to make sound decent.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I can't stand Rhett Shull anymore. I hate his face in every video thumbnail, too. I realize that I'm a petty ass, but there it is. He talks soo muuccchh, and out of his ass most of the time.

He's a tasteful player though, I admit. I just can't watch another of his videos without losing my mind.
That makes the two of us buddy, can’t stand
having his vids pop up in my recommendations.

I think ever since he posted a video ranting about
a Gibson with blueberry burst I’ve disliked him.
Just the way he presents himself as this moppy know it all rubs me the wrong way too.

cooltouch

Reaction score
I will often play a solid body with my ear pressed against the body to listen for sustain, among other things. So, yeah, the wood's characteristics are important to me. But I find that a good fret job and action set to the way I like it is even more important. Without a good fret job and proper action height, a note is often choked off. To combat this, I have to use a greater amount of pressure with my fingertip to maintain a good fretted tone. With a good fret job and correct action height, fingertip pressure is much lighter, yet a good, long-lasting tone is maintained.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd for youtubers, huh?

Fair enough, I can’t stand Trogly either.

How does pickups give more sustain? Am I missing something here or is he talking about sustainiac pickups?
They’re part of the the equation. When they’re too close to the strings, their magnetic field interfere with string vibration.

...the wood's characteristics are important to me. But I find that a good fret job and action set to the way I like it is even more important...
Yes, same here. I find it interesting because choosing a guitar is a very formulaic task here in the forum. “Play as many as possible until you find a lightweight that rings like a bell.” While that might be a good starting point, guitars are supposed to sound good when plugged in. Of course its sound is related to how it behaves unplugged, but it’s not that simple and obvious.

Also it's rare to find an absolute dud from a decent line that’s still completely useless after a thorough setup/inspection.

ARandall

Reaction score
They’re part of the the equation. When they’re too close to the strings, their magnetic field interfere with string vibration.
Thats not 'giving more sustain' though......thats simply not inhibiting regular string sustain.

John

Reaction score
Like just about any other thing out there musically, it has its uses and in other cases it would be deadweight at best.
As an aside, the clickbaity title and associated cringe from that uploader are reasons enough to not even bother clicking to support his channel.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sustain just is. Period. It varies from guitar to guitar.... So what... I prefer a lively guitar with natural sustain.... Some may not..... Who cares....

Sustain is one of those arguments that will never be resolved.... Just like wood/etc.....

Just is....

Latest Threads