Is ny truss rod ok?

jonathan91

Reaction score
I've just purchased a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional and have just decided to add a little extra relief into the neck. However the nut at the end is over the actual thread of the truss rod by 3 mm. does this make sence? In essence it means there's 5mm left of slackening off or loosening the truss rod before it would be off entirely! I've been googling pictures of Gibson truss rods and have seen a few like this and indeed my usual guitar tech thinks it's no problem as I should never need to loosen it by so much. Likewise my local guitar store thinks the same thing. But what do YOU guys think? Have you ever had something unilateral? My 94' les paul specials is similar.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure mine are like that too. Seems normal to me from what I've seen. You're not gonna back it off more than a turn probably anyhow. If you have to go more than that, you have bigger fish to fry :)

jonathan91

Reaction score
Wow so I'm an hour I've registered, put up a post and received a reply! Thank you for your reply! Could you provide me with a pic of yours if you can? I'd massively appreciate it!!

yamariv

Reaction score
Your truss rod is going to react noticeably to as small as 1/8th of a turn so a full turn you'd probably never use

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
If it's from NY, it probably has an attitude. Just sayin'.

jonathan91

Reaction score
Believe it or not all these spelling mistakes (that I've only just seen) are due to 1) my fat fingers and 2) The fact I was trying to type all this under my desk in work!

ARandall

Reaction score
Those single action rods are pretty simple. The only 'action' is by tightening the rod to increase up-hump. As long as the nut has enough threads engaged to be able to do this without stripping then the TR is fully functional. And if you damage the nut as long as there is space for it to be replaced on the end of the rod then thats all thats needed there too.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Most that I have seen are similar and as stated to adjust it, you will only need a tiny adjustment of a few mm.

Wow so I'm an hour I've registered, put up a post and received a reply! Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, were getting old and slow around here :D

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if his real name is George..

WhLZPL.gif

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
If you're adding relief, after backing off the nut slightly, allow the guitar neck to settle on its own for a day. Don't keep loosening the nut if you see no relief in the neck immediately after adjusting the nut.

ehamady6

Reaction score
I did a 1/8th turn adjustment to the truss rod in my Custom in 2008 and haven't had to touch it since.

VanR

Reaction score
Never turn a truss rod more than 1/4 of a turn. Then give the neck a while to adjust before you continue.

Latest Threads