Is neck shape the same for 50s and 60s Standards?

Socrates

Reaction score
I have a 2019 50s Standard which I really like and lately been thinking of getting a either a 60s Standard or maybe even a nice used R0 v2....for variety....and well to also have a burst since I dont have one.

Is the neck shape of the 60s Standard the same as the 50s...but just thinner?

I cant travel to get to any stores to get my hands on one so any insights appreciated!

EscapedTexan

Reaction score
They have 50's neck and 60's neck models specifically because the 60's models had thinner necks. Too bad you cant get to somewhere you can play a 60's neck for a bit to get a feel. I guess you could buy it and if you don't like it, sell it and find something else? That could be fun,...just sayin :)

rant: I really wish the '19-'20 Standard's allowed for more color options in the these new 50's models like they have available in the new 60's models. I love the Iced Tea, Bourbon bursts, etc but only available in the 60's necks which I'm just not interested in - just a personal preference, nothing bad about them if that's what you want to play. But it's one of the reasons I ultimately opted for an older 2002 as my 1st GLPS, b/c I could get a 50's neck but in Trans Amber but with a more traditional LPS wiring/tuners without all the coil-taps and whatnot included in the HP models. I like the more traditional LP 50's appointments and dimensions but with more color options I guess is what I'm saying. Just me, I'm picky, so what? : end rant

Socrates

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedbsck...so I assume neck shape is the same then...just difference in thickness?

On a different note I noticed that Wildwood has done some runs of the 50s in Unburst which adds another option

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I don't know about the new ones but the older ones could be all over the map. Personally I'd try the necks to be sure.

MP4-22

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedbsck...so I assume neck shape is the same then...just difference in thickness?

On a different note I noticed that Wildwood has done some runs of the 50s in Unburst which adds another option

Those will sell out quick....

No the neck shape isn't the same. 50's is much more round, 60's is thin and flat like a SG "thin taper".

Socrates

Reaction score
Those will sell out quick....

No the neck shape isn't the same. 50's is much more round, 60's is thin and flat like a SG "thin taper".
Ahhh ok....that is what I was really wondering about. Thanks for your feedback.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
The 60s can sometimes be more of a D shape than a round C shape. The D shape is thinner but has more shoulder.

gball

Reaction score
I don't know about the new ones but the older ones could be all over the map. Personally I'd try the necks to be sure.

I've bought two 2020 "Original Series" Les Pauls and the necks are remarkably similar. Def more consistent than in the past IMO. Tthat being said, I'd still always play first whenever possible.

Gitter

Reaction score
I have 3 2020 '60's Standards...I would only consider one of the necks an actual slim taper and that one is part of a limited finish run, so that may be intentional. Both of the others have a little beef to them. Definitely not something I'd call thin. Lets say, slightly less rounder than a 50's, but not a flat D. As far as consistency, I bought both new, one in early 2020 and the other almost a year later and they're almost identical.

Gitter

Reaction score
They have 50's neck and 60's neck models specifically because the 60's models had thinner necks. Too bad you cant get to somewhere you can play a 60's neck for a bit to get a feel. I guess you could buy it and if you don't like it, sell it and find something else? That could be fun,...just sayin :)

rant: I really wish the '19-'20 Standard's allowed for more color options in the these new 50's models like they have available in the new 60's models. I love the Iced Tea, Bourbon bursts, etc but only available in the 60's necks which I'm just not interested in - just a personal preference, nothing bad about them if that's what you want to play. But it's one of the reasons I ultimately opted for an older 2002 as my 1st GLPS, b/c I could get a 50's neck but in Trans Amber but with a more traditional LPS wiring/tuners without all the coil-taps and whatnot included in the HP models. I like the more traditional LP 50's appointments and dimensions but with more color options I guess is what I'm saying. Just me, I'm picky, so what? : end rant
If you look around some shops have exclusive runs. Sweetwater offers the 2020 Iced Tea with a 50's neck and a AAA top and 57 classics. AMS/Zzounds have some exclusives too. Wildwood had an Unburst with a 50's neck last year (not sure if they still offer it).

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 60s Unburst. The neck is more 'D' than 'C' in profile but still has plenty of heft. It's really comfortable to play.

EscapedTexan

Reaction score
If you look around some shops have exclusive runs. Sweetwater offers the 2020 Iced Tea with a 50's neck and a AAA top and 57 classics. AMS/Zzounds have some exclusives too. Wildwood had an Unburst with a 50's neck last year (not sure if they still offer it).
Good to know. I suppose I could have learned that had I joined this group BEFORE buying mflp, lol

Latest Threads