Is my R8 a Fake?

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Because if you plug it in and it sounds wonderful - the acoustic tone becomes an irrelevant red herring.

I have so many guitars that have been polar opposites to the acoustic tone. It might be great to have a vibrant unplugged tone, but I'd bet almost everybody would never even consider buying something that was great acoustically but completely dead once amped up.
On the other hand, I'd be prepared to say most would happily live with even a a flat unplugged tone if it sounded awesome through the amp.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
On the other hand, I'd be prepared to say most would happily live with even a a flat unplugged tone if it sounded awesome through the amp.
Most of the times I've plugged in a guitar that sounds flat/dead unplgged it hasn't floored me through an amp. I guess there are exceptions for everything but I would think if it's flat acoustically it's probably not gonna be a winner from the outset

Blue Blood

Reaction score
So acoustically it's a turd...what about plugged in like it's intended purpose?
Are you playing with the amp on 1 ?
Strings old ?....
Lots of variables

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
There's this movie called "It Might Get Loud" with Jack White, Jimmy Page, and the Edge,.... there is this segment where Mr. White explains and shows what an electric pick-up, a couple of nails, a guitar string, and a fence board sounds like hooked up to an amp............ very little acoustic properties there, but the slide tone is there...... and he plays one of those plastic hollow Airline guitars that's a acoustic turd.... but as an electric it works..... great film.

none2low

Reaction score
There's this movie called "It Might Get Loud" with Jack White, Jimmy Page, and the Edge,.... there is this segment where Mr. White explains and shows what an electric pick-up, a couple of nails, a guitar string, and a fence board sounds like hooked up to an amp............ very little acoustic properties there, but the slide tone is there...... and he plays one of those plastic hollow Airline guitars that's a acoustic turd.... but as an electric it works..... great film.
Great movie!! If you haven't seen it, it's well worth checking out.

Truth011

Reaction score
It looks like your action is pretty high. You could try tightening the truss rod to straighten the neck .You probably have too much relief. IMO Les Pauls need tension in the neck to come alive.

Signal

Reaction score
Many things to take into account, that's for sure. I will check the movie, I love music related movies and even more If you can learn something from it. So thanks again...

I guess guitars are more or less like children, you can have 100 of them and every one will be different...so sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to different sounds from different instruments.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Looks legit to me as well. My take on how a guitar sounds acoustically is the following. Suppose you pick up a guitar and you're trying to guess if it'll sound good once you plug it in. A good indicator that might lead you to making an accurate guess is how the guitar sounds acoustically. However, after you plug the guitar in, there is not need to guess anymore. The guitar either sounds good to you or it doesn't and the information on how the guitar sounds acoustically becomes irrelevant. In other words, a lot of these rule of thumbs regarding guitar sound should be taken probabilistically. For instance, the claim that fatter necks will give you more bottom end and thinner necks will give you more clarity doesn't mean necessarily that every R0 will have more clarity than every R8, while every R8 will have a bit more bass. On average that rule of thumb might or might not hold some value.

The other aspect is that tone is subjective. For instance, just last night I played with some friends and I brought my LP Standard '50s and Marshall Origin 50 Combo (no pedals). Among the songs we played was Sunshine of Your Love. One of my friends said that I nailed that Cream tone with my simple rig. However, he absolutely hates that tone, despite being very popular and sought after. He was able to abstract from his personal preference and acknowledge that was a good setup I had. He even wanted to get together sometime to see if he can dial in a tone that he likes with my amp and maybe a Hoof pedal. But you see, a tone that a lot of people rave about wasn't his particular brand of whisky.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would try the cheapest and easiest first.

If you're using nickel strings, try a set of steel. If you're already using steel, try a different brand.

As mentioned by someone above, try the Mapleflame Mod - replace the bridge posts with Stainless Steel, they are 6-32 machine screws BTW. Search the Mapleflame Mod on here.