Is my new Gibson es335 a fake (Chibson)?

optimuspreim

Reaction score
I bought this off of Reverb last night and haven't received it yet. This is my first Gibson and I paid just over 2k for it so I just want to double check that it is a real Gibson. I have been reading everywhere about how to identify a fake, and it seems to check off 7 out of 9 of those boxes and the other 2 might just be that I need to see it in person.

I need someone with a trained eye to check these pics and let me know. I won't be able to sleep until I get some closure on this topic so I greatly appreciate any help. There is a 7 day return policy so I will be able to return it if something is off. Supposedly a 2011 iced tea Gibson es 335.

Help!

Attachments

optimuspreim

Reaction score
its legit
You sure? I found similar guitar posts now after hours of research. I think this is it.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Curious what those 7 out of 9 would have been…
… wish I could find a cherry colored one for $2K

grumphh

Reaction score
I don't know about the guitar - but your phone definitely is a cheap replica, going by the picture quality.

I'd have a serious word with the seller about that one...

bum

Reaction score
As a 335 owner I am happy to say that is legit, and welcome to the club, that's a beauty!

Saiko

Reaction score
Looks like you got a great guitar at a great price. Be sure to post more pics and let us know what you think when it arrives!

I knew I was a Gibson fan when I got my first Les Paul and my SG but my ES-335 really opened my eyes, they are incredible guitars.

mdubya

Reaction score
The back is very unusual in that walnut finish. I like it a lot, but the back usually mimics the front, whether it be cherry, or natural, or sunburst.

That said, the occasional special finish has a walnut stained back.

Everything else looks 100% legit.

The back is probably legit, too.

The pickups are either replaced or part of the special run that gives it a walnut stained back.

mdubya

Reaction score
BTW - I believe it is a 2013. First and fifth number of the Serial No. indicate the year, not first two.

If those are the stock 57 Classics with the older (pre Memphis tone circuit) tone circuit, you will have a glorious match made in heaven.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Agreed to that the simple tell-tale signs of being Chinese made are not there. Awesome looking guitar and a good deal for you. Great guitar, clearly. The only thing that struck me a bit odd was the zebra pickups on a 335. The back is clearly different, but likely some dealer's "limited edition" with Gibson for a special configuration. And (like someone else said) maybe that special edition includes the pickups too? What pickups did the seller say were in there? Or maybe he uncovered the stock ones?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
if it is a 335 Trad Pro...that explains a lot...including the back and the price.....also means you probably paid too much.

That is not like buying a regular 335 for "just over 2K".

It is like buying a $1700-$1800 guitar for just over 2K.

post a good shot of the entire label inside.

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Well that answers all of the questions. This was a GC/MF exclusive, and the OP's guitar in question looks bone stock. Clearly this is the sister to the 2009-2011 Les Paul Trad Pro which also had satin back/sides, locking Grovers, and the same exact zebra pickups . The LP Trad Pro also had antique binding, real MoP Gibson logo, and volume-knob push-pull coil splitting for each pickup.

Latest Threads