Is my 2019 R7 Bolivian or East Indian Rosewood? Help!

Stib66

Reaction score
Lovely goldtop. I have only seen Bolivian on the 60th anniversary R9s and it had a darker and more uniform colour, compared to most Indian rosewood. I would assume this is indian.

bentfinger

Reaction score
I would say as do some of our friends here that whatever it is, it needs a good clean and a couple of nice light oilings as it does seem dry and over time it will look much better.
When I got my current Lester the board looked sad but over the years I have applied very small amounts oil and it looks lovely now

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Rosewood from India seems to be all over the map... a lot of it looks similar to what you have, but I have 60th Anniversary '59 that has a very uniformly dark fingerboard with very tight grain. It's darker and tighter than my (actual) '67 SG Standard... Gibson's build sheet for the Les Paul says it's Indian though.

GermHerm

Reaction score
This is Indian RW, Bolivian ist much more dense. Take a look to the pores, they are quite large - typical for Indian Rosewood. Saddle: This is typical laquer application. Remove it if it does bother you.

TM1

Reaction score
Call Gibson Customer Service. they can tell you exactly what it is!

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
Really, what diff does it make of the provenance of the rosewood? Just play the damn thing. Sheesh...

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call Gibson...I had the same question with my 2019 Anniversary ....they confirmed it was Indian

HIDDEN

Reaction score
I had a 60th Bolivian and didn’t like it at all. Not sure if it was an allergic reaction or what, but got rid of it as fast as I could

Sct13

Reaction score
Did you have a reaction to the wood?

I get the same with Cocobolo dust and Brazillian if its freshly worked ...

if its oiled or older its not bothersome ...

this sensativity is documented and a little rare,,.
its more a respiratory issue if you breath the sawdust

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I have a friend with a Brazilian, she lightly oils it regularly, it's still in great shape after many years of use, and my fingers have never developed any kind of allergic reaction to it.

PauloQS

Reaction score
The Bolivian rosewood Gibson used in some of the 2019 was absolutely amazing. It was like playing a dark brown ebony board. Super smooth. Some of them, maybe because of this stigma Pau Ferro gets, were significantly darker than the average Indian Rosewood. If I were to get another R9, I’d probably try to hunt down one of those Bolivian Boards 2019 R9’s.

Sct13

Reaction score
I "heard"" that a lot of them went to Europe...

not sure ...

Latest Threads