Is my 2019 R7 Bolivian or East Indian Rosewood? Help!

Rainbowberry

Reaction score
My dream guitar just arrived today! I love how it plays and sounds, although I have a few questions about it!

I'm wondering if it's Bolivian Rosewood or just a lighter Indian Rosewood. Also, I got this from Reverb and I’m not sure if the nut was possibly tampered with... broken/glued together again? What do you guys think?

Experts! Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That definitely does not look like Brazilian to me but I am not an expert. Typically Brazilian is much more uniform, less porous and darker.

Rainbowberry

Reaction score
That definitely does not look like Brazilian to me but I am not an expert. Typically Brazilian is much more uniform, less porous and darker.
Right it definitely isn't Brazilian, however I heard that the newer reissues can come with Bolivian (Which is essentially Pau Ferro).

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right it definitely isn't Brazilian, however I heard that the newer reissues can come with Bolivian (Which is essentially Pau Ferro).

I did not don’t know that but it does look a little bit like that species yes.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I agree it's probably just the lacquer from spraying the neck that is on the nut.

I think it's Indian rw, and it looks like it might be kind of dry. Oil it when you change your strings.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Clean that and oil it up - agree looks dry. That will even it out a bit.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could very well be Bolivian.... I do remember that it would have been indicated on the original shipping box label from Gibson. You could call Gibson and give them the serial number and they could tell you.

Wizard of Ozz

Reaction score
Looks like Indian... and that's just lacquer overspray on the nut ends. You can carefully scrape it off with an Xacto knife if it bothers you and you have a steady hand...

Otherwise... go play and enjoy it.

none2low

Reaction score
The board on my '18 R8 looks very similar and is spec'd as Indian rosewood on the box label. Mine doesn't darken much either even when freshly oiled. I believe the semi ashy appearance in the OP pictures has more to do with the lighter rosewood Gibson has been using the last couple of year verses being overly dry. Not that it hurts to give it a quick wipe down when changing strings.

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
Agree with everyone else that it looks like Indian rosewood. Pau Ferro usually doesn't have the grain or whatever it is in indian that I see in yours. The Pau Ferro that I've seen is almost glass like on the surface, completely smooth with no divots that indian rosewood has.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I thought Bolivian was only 2019 become of CITES and only guitars exported from the US.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Bolivian was only 2019 become of CITES and only guitars exported from the US.
They were available to US customers too... that way if you traveled abroad you wouldn’t have your guitar stuck at customs getting approved. It was a great idea but CITES changed their restrictions.

Rainbowberry

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely helped! I’ll make sure to have the fretboard oiled. I hope it ends up looking darker!

Injector

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely helped! I’ll make sure to have the fretboard oiled. I hope it ends up looking darker!
That's already a fairly dark Indian rosewood. The days of black rosewood are long gone and I've seen way lighter than yours.

Latest Threads