Is mlp too heavily moderated at times? Website feedback in public poll, not private.

Is MLP too heavily moderated?

• Total voters

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
X–Ray;2214413 said:
Fair Warning: well, you know me by now, big on definitions and examples... i found the below very interesting in that it helped clarify somethings about myself, fellow members and the Mods...

one can either read this or skip it :~)

At a forum, someone entrusted by the Administrator to help discussions stay productive and within the guidelines.

Information: Good Moderators are essential for good forums; great Moderators are essential for great forums... and the absence of Moderators typically leads to ghost towns inhabited only by spam bots.

Basic Moderator duties include deleting or modifying inappropriate posts, educating newcomers about forum guidelines, and possibly deleting accounts of repeat offenders.

Additionally, Moderators may be experts in their field who can help minimize unanswered questions.

Rogues Gallery:
Sometimes members do not have to violate a forum's codes of conduct in order to be red flagged in the eyes of a Moderator.

* The following is a list nicknames some Moderators use for types of members and the unique methods they use to get recognized, assert authority over a member, seek justice, and increase their overall brown nose factor on the forum.

The Kindly Mod Kisser – These are the members who generally agree with Moderators just to get on the mod's good side. Maybe they think by acting that way it will bring them good fortune. They privately make 'PM's of Flattery' too. "Dear Mod X, I really liked the way you ______."

The Rebel – A forumer who secretly or openly, rebels against a Mod's decision.

The Rebel Leader – This conniving schemer gathers like minded individuals to support his/her grandiose cause and attempts a coupe d'etate in order to have a Mod subjected to closer scrutiny with the intention of the Mod losing prestige or even power.

The Mini Mod
– Members that govern a thread as if they were Mod assistants. Though altruistic in gesture they sometimes make suggestions that tend to benefit only themselves. However, most of the time the suggestions they make help alert the Mod to troubles in a thread.

The Sophisticated Spammer
– Complains to Mods over other's borderline violations for the sake of altering the tone of a topic towards their own liking. At worst, they suggest sanctions on competing forumers and slyly walk away getting off scott free.

The Hibernating Troll – These individuals haven't posted in a while but when they do they tend to tick a bunch of people off.

The Benign Intellectual
– Smarty pants who think they are know–it–alls. They tend to propagate their own esteemed perspective and thereby establish a form of contempt towards anyone who dares not see things their way. Accusing others of being lower on the intellectual scale. Little do they know most of the people they debate with have already had basic philosophy in junior high school.

Mr./Ms. Links A Lot – Members that tend to flood a post with enough links to give off the impression they really know what they are talking about. Such individuals are often ignored by Mods since no violations are made. Yet trying so hard to make a point gives off the impression they really are experts in the field – or so they think.

The Ultra-Nationalist – While bragging about the benefits of his/her own culture, the ultra-nationalist rarely finds fault with such overindulgence. Nothing compares to their supreme ideology. So its best for people steer to away from one. Don't dare attack the ultra-nationalist with a countering perspective about the virtues of your own culture because the ultra-nationalist will call you a bigot. Mods spend a lot of time managing the fallout from heated threads caused by one or more ultra-nationalists.

The Mini Admin – There are special qualities of these unique individuals. The Mini Admin's are foul, fiendish creatures who generally dedicate themselves to making Moderator's lives a misery. They are people you could rarely have any negative feelings towards, though. Their humor is intense and off the wall. A Mini Admin's input is most welcome on a forum of intense debates and petty bickering.

m2.jpg

* Moderating Styles

Moderators have their own styles when dealing with infringements on forum codes of conduct.

Though it is their job to uphold forum rules, each Mod has a unique perspective as to how often and to what extent they impose their position on members.

Some of them are forum specific Moderators and others are global moderators. The latter having the ability to Moderate the whole forum.

Lastly, Administrators who have ultimate control of the forum and appoint and control Moderators. The following are nicknames for Mods.

The Softie - These guys or gals rarely give warnings. They pleasantly participate in threads and leisurely interact with members of all sorts, one often wonders why they're Moderators at all.

The Heavy
- Moderators that regularly patrol the forum in jackboots. They love to dish out reminders and warnings like it were candy. Though rare, these type of Moderators command respect. Sometimes they create more friction than was originally planned.

Neutral Jones - Mods that see things from varied perspectives. You never know whose side they will be on. Mostly, by playing it safe, they remain neutral.

Partial Patriarch - All Moderators have cultural and political backgrounds that affect the way they moderate to some extent. Some like to show it more than others.

The Partial Patriarch has no qualms about who he or she is. These type of Moderators can be a softie, neutral or a heavy also. They tend to side with members of commonly shared perspectives.

The Sabbatical
- Mods who periodically show up for duty and then leave for more important things to do in life; a well deserved break from the rigors of Moderating.

When the do show up they're often out of touch and make many mistakes. When they're gone we often wonder if they will ever be back.

(adapted from: Marketing Terms.com - Internet Marketing Reference)

thanks X-ray I am going to add this to our guidelines for awareness

Lurcher

Reaction score
I didn't vote. I don't think the moderation here is perfect but I do think its, by and large, pretty good.
When I first joined at the start of this year I immediately noticed that there seemed to be very little mod interference in actual threads. Maybe a lot was done by the PM route. Whatever the style at that time it seemed to be working well with enough licence to allow honest and mature debate.
That started to change, in my perception, a few months ago and I noticed the odd flame war starting. So moderation became more visible as the alternative would have been anarchy and the loss of MLP as I knew it. This has happened on a lot of guitar forums that are far less informative than here.
At the other extreme, there is a well known forum, hosted in Russia, that attracts a less mature audience. That place is moderated and administered along the lines of what many of us might perceive as the Soviet prison model. Subsequently, it has lost many of the more knowledgeable members (probably to MLP).
As far as inconsistent modding is concerned, we are all human. We all have bad days and good days. What I see here is that the consistency is a lot better than I'd be able to achieve. So I give our mods a vote of confidence for keeping their work within a finer tolerance than the vast majority of forums (regardless of subject) can manage. I say that even though there might have been a couple of occasions when I'd suspect the imbibing of some very dubious herbs.
All in all, not too shabby, lads. (or I'd have fecked* off long ago)

*This is a legitimate and approved word under Irish law.

FUS44

Reaction score
I thought the in crowd kinda left, no?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
First rule about the "In Crowd". We don't talk about the "In Crowd".:cool::shock:

rick13

Reaction score
How about if it's just fine as is? Where is that option on the poll?
Rick

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
SInce the MODS started monitoring the conduct more firmly around here lately, things have become more civil.

Even my acerbic comments have softened, especially after getting banned for a weekend.:)

duane v

Reaction score
X–Ray;2214413 said:
The Rebel Leader – This conniving schemer gathers like minded individuals to support his/her grandiose cause and attempts a coupe d'etate in order to have a Mod subjected to closer scrutiny with the intention of the Mod losing prestige or even power.

too funny:laugh2:.... Off-hand I can think of a few cyber dorks with this type of behavior pattern.... But I'll keep their identities private:D

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
OP, I think you’re actually addressing two different issues. There is the question of “The Rules” and then the question of how the Rules are applied.

These are separate questions. The Rules are the Rules. The owner is entitled to make whatever Rules he wants, we each choose to accept the Rules as a condition of use of the site- or not. If you don’t like the Rules, you have the choice not to participate, or get the Rules changed.

The problem on this site is not the Rules themselves, it’s the selective and inconsistent application of the Rules by some Moderators, direct contradiction of Rules by some Moderators, conflict of interest, perceived or real, of some Moderators, misuse and abuse of Moderator privileges, pursuit of personal agendas and vendettas by some Moderators.

Some Moderators, by no means all Moderators. Some Mods on this site just quietly go about doing what is a largely thankless job and keep MLP running for everyone. Others take quite a different approach.

These inconsistencies are the reasons that there is a steady stream of criticism about the moderation on this site such as that contained in your post, IMHO.

Nicky

Reaction score
These inconsistencies are the reasons that there is a steady stream of criticism about the moderation on this site such as that contained in your post, IMHO.

And other Forums are any different? I'll take MLP any day over ANY OTHER forum. Period. (and I've been banned here).

Nicky

Reaction score
How do you get banned here..... seriously:hmm:

Violate the rules so egregiously that the MOD has no choice. The MOD gave me plenty of rope, but I was asking for it.
dead-hanging.gif

(I was a little too critical of one of our MLP brothers...wouldn't give it a rest. Lately, I'll just throw a dart now and then.)

duane v

Reaction score
Violate the rules so egregiously that the MOD has no choice. The MOD gave me plenty of rope, but I was asking for it.
dead-hanging.gif

(I was a little too critical of one of our MLP brothers...wouldn't give it a rest. Lately, I'll just throw a dart now and then.)

umkay I guess:hmm:

Don't get that type of thinking, but whatever floats your beenie:D

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OP, I think you’re actually addressing two different issues. There is the question of “The Rules” and then the question of how the Rules are applied.

These are separate questions. The Rules are the Rules. The owner is entitled to make whatever Rules he wants, we each choose to accept the Rules as a condition of use of the site- or not. If you don’t like the Rules, you have the choice not to participate, or get the Rules changed.

The problem on this site is not the Rules themselves, it’s the selective and inconsistent application of the Rules by some Moderators, direct contradiction of Rules by some Moderators, conflict of interest, perceived or real, of some Moderators, misuse and abuse of Moderator privileges, pursuit of personal agendas and vendettas by some Moderators.

Some Moderators, by no means all Moderators. Some Mods on this site just quietly go about doing what is a largely thankless job and keep MLP running for everyone. Others take quite a different approach.

Steady stream of criticism from the same few with the likes of yourself :hmm:

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
Steady stream of criticism from the same few with the likes of yourself :hmm:

Interesting interpretation of the word "few". You are implying that the problem lies with those people who are actually critical of the moderation practices that are evident on this site from time to time.

I dont know anybody who actually enjoys criticism, Flickoflash, but YMMV.

Reaction score
:laugh2:

I just noticed the tags, and one of the tags is 'feeling ginantonic' ..

Cow, do you have some explaining to do? :thumb: :naughty:

Latest Threads