Is Jimmy Page a thief?

Spoone

Reaction score
Many dismiss the guy as a great musician but Prince is a monster guitar player...prolly the best today.

Speaking of Prince....check the solo at the end. Super clean technique, sweet tone, and he's a hell of a showman to boot. If the diminutive dude ever put out a straight guitar album, I'd own it in a heart beat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

sonsofthedesert

Reaction score
Years and years of watching Perry Mason, Matlock and other educational programs have taught me that the character of the defendant is a valid point of interest for a jury.

Nobody involved on trial, no jury empanelled.:fingersx:
Only armchair B.S prevails.:D

yeti

Reaction score
Nobody involved on trial, no jury empanelled.:fingersx:
Only armchair B.S prevails.:D

would it have helped if I had made my "comments" using purple font? I thought it was obvious that I was joking, yikes.

Jimmi

Reaction score
Where was Maddox from? Legal age in WV and several southern states used to be 14 as recently as the 80s. Doesn't make it alright but might not be illegal.

Regardless, many musicians do drugs and other lifestyle choices that are illegal and that I find deplorable. Doesn't make their music less impactful. Just means I might not want to be buddies.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I have to side with Jimmy on this.
I personally bought a 1970/71 Les Paul Deluxe, also already modded with humbuckers, from Joe for $200. He also insisted I buy it. He was quite drunk but roadies said he knew what he was doing and did stuff like that all the time.

xSinner13x

Reaction score
Where was Maddox from? Legal age in WV and several southern states used to be 14 as recently as the 80s. Doesn't make it alright but might not be illegal.

Regardless, many musicians do drugs and other lifestyle choices that are illegal and that I find deplorable. Doesn't make their music less impactful. Just means I might not want to be buddies.

Well since I provided links with all that info, it's obvious who doesn't know how to click through.

It was LA County 1970, Age of consent was 18, enacted that year.

I know you wont bother to click through but I 'll leave it here anyway.

Statutory Rape: When Is a Crime Not a Crime? - Los Angeles Times

"California's original statutory rape law dates from 1872, but the current regulation was enacted in 1970. Refinements, such as changes in reporting procedures, have continued steadily.

California is among 14 states where the so-called age of consent, when a person can legally agree to engage in sex, is 18. In five states the age of consent is 17; it is 16 in 27 states and the District of Columbia; 15 in two states. Hawaii and Pennsylvania have the country's lowest age of consent, 14.

While "statutory rape" is widely accepted as a form of legal shorthand to describe sex between an adult and a minor, many states use terms such as "unlawful sexual conduct" instead. Universally, statutory rape laws are gender-neutral. But in fact, older women are seldom charged with engaging in relationships with young males. When an adult man is accused of having sex with a young male, the case generally is pursued under the rubric of child sexual abuse.

In California, it is a crime to have sex with anyone younger than 18 unless the two people are married to one another. An unmarried minor in California cannot legally consent to sex. If the two people are within three years of age of one another, the crime is a misdemeanor in California. With more than a three-year age difference, the adult perpetrator in California can be charged with a felony and may receive a prison sentence of up to four years"

Jimmi

Reaction score
What was it before? Maybe Page didn't get the memo.

Regardless, refer to the second paragraph of my post. We get it, you don't like Page. Fine. You have anything else to say or talk about?

yeti

Reaction score
Child exploitation is just that, regardless.

It's hard for me to Hero worship someone I would gladly put down like the animal they are.

Regarding Pete Townshend I can only repeat what I've heard from more knowledgable people but IIRC Pete did research the issue, had material on his computer and was advised by his counsel that he should plead guilty. Entering a plea to avoid publicity may have seemed like a good idea and doesn't amount to an admission of guilt in certain situations. He didn't realize that it would brand him as a predator for life. Bad advice, IMO.
Do I know this for a fact? No, but do you have evidence to support your rather harsh indictment of Pete?

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Years and years of watching Perry Mason, Matlock and other educational programs have taught me that the character of the defendant is a valid point of interest for a jury.

And about the first thing you learn in Criminal Procedure in law school is that it's inadmissible. (Lawyer shows are terrible guides to the law). It invites the jury to make the improper inference "He's a bad person therefore he must be guilty; he beat his wife therefore he must have robbed that liquor store."

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Universally, statutory rape laws are gender-neutral.

Not actually the case; in Oklahoma the ages are (IIRC) 16 for males and 18 for females. I recall it because it was challenged (unsuccessfully) in the Supreme Court.

retrobob

Reaction score
This thread seems to have taken a left turn down a dark alley! :run:

DADGAD

Reaction score
We can't really be sure. He only "dated" her. For all we know they just had drinks. wink wink. Why are we rehashing this? Lots of rock star debauchery happened in the 70's and even now.

yeti

Reaction score
And about the first thing you learn in Criminal Procedure in law school is that it's inadmissible. (Lawyer shows are terrible guides to the law). It invites the jury to make the improper inference "He's a bad person therefore he must be guilty; he beat his wife therefore he must have robbed that liquor store."

Another one who took my post seriously, wow. I said my expertise came from watching Matlock and Perry Mason for fux sake, you guys don't speak tongue-in-cheek, do you.:D

wackydude

Reaction score
Interesting story, but from what I have read, Joe sold the instrument to Jimmy.

Latest Threads