Is Jimmy Page a thief?

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Im not talking about Led Zeps music...we know the answer to that.
Im talking about his number 1 Les Paul.
Story goes that Joe Walsh sold it to him for $500. When asked... Jimmy keeps the answer short and says "Joe insisted I buy it" and leaves it at that. Also talks about how he feels his number 1 "came to him" and was a guitar he needed to have much like the Yardbirds Tele....both of which had unusually slim necks with mods to the number 1 being done before Jimmy "bought" it.
But in interviews from the 80's, Joe Walsh claims that Jimmy never bought the guitar...if anything he stole it. The story goes that Joe had a party at his place with celebrities present. He had a modded Les Paul that he wanted to show Jimmy. He showed him the guitar and Jimmy fell in love with it. Shortly after that Joe returns to the party and decides later on to show someone else the same guitar..only to find out the guitar, and Jimmy, are both gone. Anyone else hear this interview?
What are your thoughts?

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
Im not talking about Led Zeps music...we know the answer to that.
Im talking about his number 1 Les Paul.
Story goes that Joe Walsh sold it to him for $500. When asked... Jimmy keeps the answer short and says "Joe insisted I buy it" and leaves it at that. Also talks about how he feels his number 1 "came to him" and was a guitar he needed to have much like the Yardbirds Tele....both of which had unusually slim necks with mods to the number 1 being done before Jimmy "bought" it.
But in interviews from the 80's, Joe Walsh claims that Jimmy never bought the guitar...if anything he stole it. The story goes that Joe had a party at his place with celebrities present. He had a modded Les Paul that he wanted to show Jimmy. He showed him the guitar and Jimmy fell in love with it. Shortly after that Joe returns to the party and decides later on to show someone else the same guitar..only to find out the guitar, and Jimmy, are both gone. Anyone else hear this interview?
What are your thoughts?

I think 40 years later its pretty irrelevant. If Joe had a problem he should have reported it stolen back then.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
One rumor I heard was that after Joe confronted him about it....Jimmy wouldnt give back the guitar but rather gave him money..kinda like a take it or leave it type of thing. So he kinda forced the purchase, which if true...is technically still stealing it in the first place.

Es Paul

Reaction score
You'll never know the answer. It will always be speculation. The internet is good at that, spreading made up facts.

jonc

Reaction score
I have never heard that, but if it happened, it was meant to be.

1959burst

Reaction score
i don't believe it for a minute, joe sold it for $500.he has said so in countless interviews.

Sterling # Sound

Reaction score
If there's any truth to the story, I'm sure it's slightly blurred by alcohol or worse. Perhaps he said 'hey man you should really try out this guitar for yourself, it was made for you!' and then Page takes it home with the idea of trying it and paying later.

We have no real source here do we?

Jscott

Reaction score
I don't know if that story is true, but if you've ever heard Muddy Waters' "You Need Love", then you know where "Whole Lotta Love" came from. Just sayin....

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can't really say the two of them are best of friends these days so who knows...

fletch

yeppedeppdepp

Reaction score
So is the one he is playing in this vid, kind of looking like Luky Skywalker, Page's No.1?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ivv1JW8-Ww]YouTube - ~JOE WALSH~ TURN TO STONE[/ame]

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I love the part of the video around 3:10 where the guy seems to be saying to his girlfriend "isn't this awesome!" and she's like "no, I hate this I want to go home!" - lol

That belt had to have done some interesting remodeling to the back of the guitar - yikes!

Diocletian

Reaction score
The only interview I've seen with Joe Walsh he could barely string a sentence together, presumably through the booze.
So I wouldn't trust his memory of things.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I read an interview in the 80s where Walsh said he "gave" it to Page.

Latest Threads