Is it possible to put them in order?

Speedshopandy

Reaction score
Obviously its a combination, but what are the most most important factors in determining the sound (tone) of a guitar. And by what factor? Please put them in order of importance as you see it.

Body wood
body top (if it has one)
body shape
pickups
amp
neck wood
hardware (tuners, bridge, stop)
nut
electronics
strings
frets
Finishes
Zakk Wylde Plays Black Sabbath on Hello Kitty Mini-Guitar - YouTube

It's all about who plays the guitar, any day ;)

Joepeggio

Reaction score
Generally speaking I think we’re mostly hearing;

amp/speakers
Pickups/wiring
Scale length
Body shape
All the rest
I agree.

I will add Pick Attack / Playing Style (Player) after pickups/wiring...

nickdaxe

Reaction score
Obviously its a combination, but what are the most most important factors in determining the sound (tone) of a guitar. And by what factor? Please put them in order of importance as you see it.

Body wood
body top (if it has one)
body shape
pickups
amp
neck wood
nut
electronics
strings
frets
Finishes
Your Hands
Guitar
Amp

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
John fogerty could slay on a baseball bat and prince had multiple
And princes super bowl show is one of the greatest ones in history...his Tone carries thru on a variety of very different guitars...
watch the short below on prince...he was a boss
Anyhow, it’s all about the player and his connection to the guitar imho

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats one of my bucket list guitars
On a related note, those sell for around $600 and above
I wanted to get one for my duaghter... looked at the prices and said... GTFO people are smoking crack !!

simon connor

Reaction score
It's been said many times before, but if you put a cheap Les Paul copy in the hands of a great player, it will sound fantastic. If you get really good at playing, your guitar will sound really great. God knows how long that would take, but ultimately, that's what it is about.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I agree with jeremiah I think alot of the things that some folks think make for tone varations are in their heads ''no offense''
ive never heard any big difference to really get into the crux of this matter you need some very sensitive sound listening devises ans a base line ,so where do get an accurate base line .To those of you that can hear thesr miniscule differences my hat is off to you ,I think practice holds more water zdog

''

TheWelder

Reaction score
Left hand
Right hand
For right handed players, I would argue that the right hand technique is more important in overall tone and sound as that that is where the attack is generated. But regardless, the player's ability level should be a the top of the list.

James Hill

Reaction score

Body wood
body top (if it has one)
body shape
pickups
amp
neck wood
nut
electronics
strings
frets
Finishes
Really it's a short list.. the most important thing is YOU like it, so what if it's 9 plus pounds or if the wood was grown in Sherwood Forest and harvested by Robin Hood himself or if some Tibetan Priest farted on it for 40 years to give it that AMAZING tone.. all that matters is that the tone works for you.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
It's been said many times before, but if you put a cheap Les Paul copy in the hands of a great player, it will sound fantastic. If you get really good at playing, your guitar will sound really great. God knows how long that would take, but ultimately, that's what it is about.
My first stringed instrument was the Banjo. I was taking lessons and the
teacher took the banjo and made sounds out of it I never got. Its the
fingers, palming etc. Well, at least I knew what it was supposed to
sound like.

jimdkc

Reaction score
1 - Player
2 - Amp
3 - Pickups
4 - Strings

Nothing else matters much at all.

Latest Threads