is it possible? (out of phase question)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
:laugh2:

i seem to have OOPed by accident. what a mess.

It happens, when I installed the Gibson 496R Humbucker in the neck of my "Micawber" Ash Tele I found out that it was out of phase with the Tex Mex bridge pu :eek2:

And since the Humbucker had vintage 2 lead braided wire and a cover on it, I flip flopped the leads on the Tex Mex pu and ran a separate ground wire from the bridge to ground and got them back in phase that way. ;)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It happens, when I installed the Gibson 496R Humbucker in the neck of my "Micawber" Ash Tele I found out that it was out of phase with the Tex Mex bridge pu :eek2:

And since the Humbucker had vintage 2 lead braided wire and a cover on it, I flip flopped the leads on the Tex Mex pu and ran a separate ground wire from the bridge to ground and got them back in phase that way. ;)

see, this is exactly what i'm worried about. the neck pickup is plastic coated wire with a ground wire and a single hot wire. can i just flip those, so the one that's grounded is hot and the one that was hot is ground?

or will that kill me?

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
see, this is exactly what i'm worried about. the neck pickup is plastic coated wire with a ground wire and a single hot wire. can i just flip those, so the one that's grounded is hot and the one that was hot is ground?

or will that kill me?

Yeah you can flip flop the wires hot for ground, but when you do that then what was ground is now hot. Sometimes that can cause issues with plates and covers and they may buzz if you touch them. :Ohno: Other than that if won't hurt anything.

Give it a try and see what happens :naughty:

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i tried it and get no sound at all... maybe it's just a duff pickup.

Raz59

Reaction score
i tried it and get no sound at all... maybe it's just a duff pickup.

Well, from those two conductors, I'm assuming only one transports the signal and the other one grounds the body of the pickup. If you switch the wires around, you're shorting the signal to ground (dead pickup explanation) and using the wire from the baseplate as the signal. How are you liking the sound of that baseplate? Quite "earthy" eh? :laugh2:

Satire apart, I may be wrong, and the baseplate may kill you.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Well, from those two conductors, I'm assuming only one transports the signal and the other one grounds the body of the pickup. If you switch the wires around, you're shorting the signal to ground (dead pickup explanation) and using the wire from the baseplate as the signal. How are you liking the sound of that baseplate? Quite "earthy" eh? :laugh2:

Satire apart, I may be wrong.

My 496R has the vintage braided 2 lead wire and it still worked when I soldered the braided ground to the hot lug on volume and the hot lead to the back of the pot.:hmm:

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Satire apart, I may be wrong, and the baseplate may kill you.

it just doesn't make any sense. i mean, i was going for the Page 'kind of out of phase but not' live sound, but it appears to actually out of phase - there's a noticeable volume drop when both pickups are on full, for example. meh.

looks like i'm getting a new neck pickup!

Raz59

Reaction score
it just doesn't make any sense. i mean, i was going for the Page 'kind of out of phase but not' live sound, but it appears to actually out of phase - there's a noticeable volume drop when both pickups are on full, for example. meh.

looks like i'm getting a new neck pickup!

Hey, if the sound is all nasal, that's out-of-phase. The drop in volume is normal, because the pickups are "working against each other".

jonesy said:
My 496R has the vintage braided 2 lead wire and it still worked when I soldered the braided ground to the hot lug on volume and the hot lead to the back of the pot.

Isn't the "vintage" braided shielded wire single conductor only? Or are you calling the braided shield a "lead"? Or are there 2 conductors in the middle of the wire? I'm a tad confused about that one.

Usually, 4-conductor wire pickups include a fifth bare wire, and its purpose is solely for grounding the body of the pickup, so it is completely disconnected from the pickup's signal. I'm having a bit of a hard time comprehending how the signal is supposed to travel in some cases...

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My 496R has the vintage braided 2 lead wire and it still worked when I soldered the braided ground to the hot lug on volume and the hot lead to the back of the pot.:hmm:

i'll give that a go tomorrow. cool. on the other hand, Mr Jones, i stuck those Bees i got from you the other day in my Epi LQ model, and i swear to god it's opened it up like a claymore mine.

the quality of the initial pick attack has become really enhanced. am i just imagining it?

also, the .011 on a burstbucker 1 in the neck is a match made in heaven. sound SOOOOOO much less muddy.

i luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve it

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Isn't the "vintage" braided shielded wire single conductor only? Or are you calling the braided shield a "lead"? Or are there 2 conductors in the middle of the wire? I'm a tad confused about that one.

Raz...The Gibson vintage style braided wire is 2 conductor wire. The braided outer shield is normally used as Ground - and the inner cloth covered wire is Hot +, that is what makes up the 2 leads

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
i'll give that a go tomorrow. cool. on the other hand, Mr Jones, i stuck those Bees i got from you the other day in my Epi LQ model, and i swear to god it's opened it up like a claymore mine.

the quality of the initial pick attack has become really enhanced. am i just imagining it?

also, the .011 on a burstbucker 1 in the neck is a match made in heaven. sound SOOOOOO much less muddy.

Gotta love those Vintage Bees, so glad you are putting them to good use :thumb:

MrRhoads

Reaction score

Bees are amazing;)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hey, i finally felt well enough to mess with stuff, so i flipped the magnet in the bridge. problem solved. of course i messed up the soldering doing that and had to redo it all as the pickup was really quiet, but that is also now solved. yay.

so now i have a very nice pagey sounding middle position in this guy. yay!

DSCF5675.jpg

Latest Threads