Is it normal for truss rod screw to touch pick guard on a Tele?

dscottyg

Reaction score
I just got a new Vintera 50s Modified Telecaster. I Set the relief at .010 (capo first fret, hold down 17th fret, and measure at the 8th fret) just like fender instructs. Is it normal for the screw to be flush with the neck and touch the pick guard. I’m concerned that if I ever want to give the neck more relief, I would have to cut a little notch in the pick guard. Is something wrong with this neck?
AB73612A-E6DD-4701-8C67-106811919849.jpeg

Last edited:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's normal.
Remember that the nut rides against a washer at the bottom of the hole. Unless and until the wood begins to compress, the surface of the nut remains right where it is... it pulls the rod into itself.
It's not exactly like a Gibson, where you thread a conventional nut down and the rod pokes out more. On Fenders, the nut is hollow and there is room inside the nut for the rod to extend.
To adjust, you need to loosen the strings, lift the neck up slightly, make the adjustment, then reassemble and retune.

Potential issues are WAAAY down the road... in that if the anchor end compresses and you run out of adjustment, then you may need to stack washers, and that will push the top of the nut out, but that would be extremely rare. Usually, washer stacking is needed because the wood compresses at the heel and the nut receeds into the cavity.

dscottyg

Reaction score
It's normal.
Remember that the nut rides against a washer at the bottom of the hole. Unless and until the wood begins to compress, the surface of the nut remains right where it is... it pulls the rod into itself.
It's not exactly like a Gibson, where you thread a conventional nut down and the rod pokes out more. On Fenders, the nut is hollow and there is room inside the nut for the rod to extend.
To adjust, you need to loosen the strings, lift the neck up slightly, make the adjustment, then reassemble and retune.

Potential issues are WAAAY down the road... in that if the anchor end compresses and you run out of adjustment, then you may need to stack washers, and that will push the top of the nut out, but that would be extremely rare. Usually, washer stacking is needed because the wood compresses at the heel and the nut receeds into the cavity.
It took me to Reads to understand, but it makes total sense. The older the guitar is, the further in that screw will be, because it is compressing the wood. I probably will never need to add more relief because it is at 010. Is it correct, that over time, to keep the relief at .010, I will be periodically tightening the screw, until it eventually maxes out after many years?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me to Reads to understand, but it makes total sense. The older the guitar is, the further in that screw will be, because it is compressing the wood. I probably will never need to add more relief because it is at 010. Is it correct, that over time, to keep the relief at .010, I will be periodically tightening the screw, until it eventually maxes out after many years?
Ya, at .010, I'd snug it up a touch.. but I like a straighter neck.
Just make sure there is some tension on it, or like a Les Paul, it can vibrate and cause mysterious buzzing that'll have you chasing high frets that aren't there.

And it'll probably be literally 50 years before the top will be noticeably below the surface.

dscottyg

Reaction score
Ya, at .010, I'd snug it up a touch.. but I like a straighter neck.
Just make sure there is some tension on it, or like a Les Paul, it can vibrate and cause mysterious buzzing that'll have you chasing high frets that aren't there.

And it'll probably be literally 50 years before the top will be noticeably below the surface.
Thanks.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Fender used to put a notch in the pickguard next to the TR adjustment, for some reason they stopped doing that at some time.
Al

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender used to put a notch in the pickguard next to the TR adjustment, for some reason they stopped doing that at some time.
Al
They still do, it depends on the model.
If the model has the 50s vibe... single ply black or white, then it doesn't have the notch.
If it's a 60s style with a 3 or 4 ply PG, it'll have the notch.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Al
Honestly, I'm okay with that notch going away. Sooooo many vintage Fenders out there where the pickguard and truss rod nut are both all chewed up. Unless the neck is shimmed way back, that little notch only offers the illusion of being able to adjust the neck without loosening it. Better to eliminate the temptation.

Latest Threads