Is it me, or does this look dopey?

Fritz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a Gibson Flying V. These are $2K. But I think that "step ladder" pickguard looks dopey. Plus, the top horizontal cut is trying to be like a '58 without the '58 neck-body join angles, the controls are trying to look like a '67 (I'd prefer an all-out '58 look for $2K, but I guess I could live with that), but that bridge notch and tailpiece shyness... I think they've had some WAY better looking Epiphones.

Is it just me, or do you think this pick guard looks dopey?

1660484677224.png

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Find an Epi Brent Hinds V. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, best control layout.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 67 large guard is my favorite style.
I prefer the overall look of the 75-82 models. Headstocks were more rounded in 75 and then became flatter at the point from 80-82.

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
I want a Gibson Flying V. These are $2K. But I think that "step ladder" pickguard looks dopey. Plus, the top horizontal cut is trying to be like a '58 without the '58 neck-body join angles, the controls are trying to look like a '67 (I'd prefer an all-out '58 look for $2K, but I guess I could live with that), but that bridge notch and tailpiece shyness... I think they've had some WAY better looking Epiphones.

Is it just me, or do you think this pick guard looks dopey?

View attachment 627862
I also have the itch for a Flying V but I agree with you. Not this version.

questionman

Reaction score
Borrowing a friends 2021 V currently, as a guitar its pretty awesome, but I agree, the look is ehhhhh

jbash

Reaction score
Either the original 58 look, or the 67 full pickguard look. That current half ass thing is fugly. IDK whose bright idea that was, but I hope they took a demotion and paycut.

dspelman

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are brutal.

I have an old (late '70s) Moonstone, but I don't want to submit it to the Gibson Inquisition (yeeesh!).

Mine's neck-through (multi-piece figured maple), 24 fret, with body sides of mahogany faced, top and bottom, with burled maple. Fretboard is Bazillion rosewood. Trem is a Wilkinson-ish type made of brass, pickups are Tom Anderson (replacing the Invaders that were in it when I bought it at Valley Arts).

Latest Threads