Is it me or are Burstbuckers sounding better these days…

mjross

Reaction score
I’m going through rotation and pulled out my 2020 Standard Gold Top. I’m not sure what’s going on but these damn Burstbuckers sure sound killer. Overall the guitar is amazing but I just do not remember Burstbuckers sounding this good. Maybe I just got a good set or something. Bought a set of Throback 101’s but I‘m struggling thinking about changing out the Burstbuckers. What are you guys experiencing?

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have noticed that too .. I like the BB's but I have had a few sets I didn't care for too. I think it is a matter of getting that lucky set. I try and hang on to those....

mjross

Reaction score
I have noticed that too .. I like the BB's but I have had a few sets I didn't care for too. I think it is a matter of getting that lucky set. I try and hang on to those....
Yeah, it might be me but there’s something special about this set. Reminds me more of one of my favorite Custombucker sets, maybe the BB’s are marked wrong or something! Hmmmm….

gball

Reaction score
My 2020 Goldtops pickups sound incredible. They have a decidedly vintagey vibe, and are really dynamic with distortion. The '61s in my 2022 Classic are also fantastic but in a bit different way - they are a lot hotter and more modern sounding.. I have always been a big fan of Gibson pickups and I do think the current crop are really nailing it.

peobryant

Reaction score
PXL_20220804_190201663.jpg

PXL_20220804_190242913.jpg

I think the Burstbucker 1 & 2s in my '18 Traditional are fantastic, I haven't felt any reason to change them out for something else, they pair very nicely with my amps and the kind of music I enjoy playing.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
BB > 57 classics > 490/498 if you gotta rate em but really theyre all great and have their own sounds. Best to have a few of each

one thing that is pretty understated is that gibson makes hands down some of the best pickups on the market.

Mr French

Reaction score
BB > 57 classics > 490/498 if you gotta rate em but really theyre all great and have their own sounds. Best to have a few of each

one thing that is pretty understated is that gibson makes hands down some of the best pickups on the market.
This is the ultimate classic sets of pickups! Maybe add 490s to the list?

gball

Reaction score

Agree completely about Gibson pickups. They are as good as or better than anything out there.

Of my humbuckered Les Pauls I'd place it for me as:
T-Tops (I know, not fair) > BB '61s > '57 Classics > BB 1&2

They are all great in their own way though, and I like the versatility of being able to use a different guitar for different things I am playing.

mjross

Reaction score
My Custombuckers, MHS and T-Type are killer pickups but Gibson does not sell them. However, as a pickup you can purchase from Gibson, these BB’s are very nice and reasonably priced. I’m wondering if they have improved these pickups or something, just surprised as many people dislike them. I guess what works for me does not necessarily work for the next guy!

gball

Reaction score
most people overlook pickup height when assessing pickups. This is important. Too high is a problem

I've found the '61s to be unusually sensitive to height. I've had them in two different guitars and each time they have taken quite a bit of tinkering to get right, but once you get them dialed they are some of the best pickups I've ever used.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I've found the '61s to be unusually sensitive to height. I've had them in two different guitars and each time they have taken quite a bit of tinkering to get right, but once you get them dialed they are some of the best pickups I've ever used.
I had a set of the 2021 61's .. I couldn't get along with them. Tried them in 2 different guitars they just seemed really hot no matter what i did. I deff like these BB's i have better. I guess to each is own ...

AJK1

Reaction score
My Custombuckers, MHS and T-Type are killer pickups but Gibson does not sell them. However, as a pickup you can purchase from Gibson, these BB’s are very nice and reasonably priced. I’m wondering if they have improved these pickups or something, just surprised as many people dislike them. I guess what works for me does not necessarily work for the next guy!
Believe it or not, our hearing gets better before it gets worse as we get older so it’s probably happening to you lately
Next year you’ll think they sound crap

gball

Reaction score
I had a set of the 2021 61's .. I couldn't get along with them. Tried them in 2 different guitars they just seemed really hot no matter what i did. I deff like these BB's i have better. I guess to each is own ...

I doubt they are for everyone or for every situation. I prefer a fairly hot pickup that remains articulate with a good amount of gain and these have served me well in that regard.

EasyAce

Reaction score
My most recent acquisition came with Burstbucker 1 (neck) and 2 (bridge). Run them together and they're as smooth as cream . . .

Marina04.jpeg

Latest Threads