Is it age and character? Or am i missing the point?

cjpeck

Reaction score
I figure his first language isn’t English.

I was going to poke fun at how he needs to replace the word “one” with “a person” or “someone” more often, to not come off sound so pretentious.
I'm thinking his first language is "Engineer"
Or maybe just "University Psych Prof"
I went and read his previous postings (there were only 10) before replying to this thread. He's somewhere in the E.U. where guitars aren't kept in stock as a matter of course. Sure ain't an English speaking country. No problem with that though, most of the moo moos around here struggle with English as their native language.
However I'm betting he speaks pompous jackwagon in any language fluently.
I could be wrong. Up to the OP to show us peasants what the truth is.

Standard

Reaction score
You win a non-existing prize, of your choosing!, for being the first to type a reply befitting a human capable of thinking :)

Most agreed, no rules; if one wishes to duplicate another's playing, no one's to stop them.
Similarly, no one prohibits lack of a personal voice or total disregard for self growth or advancement. One needs only look around to see just how many favour that road. This too is a fundamental right.

However, having the 'right' to do one thing doesn't mean one should necessarily go ahead and do it. Nor does it entail it's correct, beneficial or worthy of respect to exercise it.
(a common and regular point of contention when in conversations with folks from the US. No one should disrespect rights. One however may disrespect their being exercised, or more specifically, the timing/reasoning behind said exercising).

So what should have been (but alas is not) self-evident aside, what i was attempting to convey is that while yes, this occurs, no, i do not particularly respect it. A mere, personal, opinion.

As to outlet and artistic vision.. debatable.
One doesn't pick a musical instrument up so as to be the next prodigy (all or nothing), but i would have expected one would have.. some fundamental drive to musically express themselves. Presumably, they are already talking, typing and using body language are they not?
Mind this again, themselves.
Are there people that have spent or spend their life trying to be the next /insert actor, singer name? Plenty. Does this, on its own, entail respect? No. Not by itself, if you get me by now.

P.S. Before this (a segment as it is), gets out of hand, context; i was referring to pricing, the business "opportunities" thereof and how, to me, personally, ludicrous this is. Itself connected -as stated clearly above- to how worth is valued or given in certain guitars or guitar-related aspects. Which is why i also mentioned the ludicrous prices for, say, a piece of plastic, because "historic". Regardless however, to each their own.

Allow me to attempt to explain guitars to you. People are different and like different things. They have different motivations and different goals. Some want to be superstars, others want a way to mellow out and meditate, others still like the tinkering and customization aspect of playing, etcetera. They are neither right nor wrong and hopefully they give less than a shit about your respect or approval.

Do it for what ever reason you want, buy whatever you want and do whatever you want to it. After all, it's your life and your stuff, why follow someone else's idea of what is/isn't correct?

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
You win a non-existing prize, of your choosing!, for being the first to type a reply befitting a human capable of thinking :)

Most agreed, no rules; if one wishes to duplicate another's playing, no one's to stop them.
Similarly, no one prohibits lack of a personal voice or total disregard for self growth or advancement. One needs only look around to see just how many favour that road. This too is a fundamental right.

However, having the 'right' to do one thing doesn't mean one should necessarily go ahead and do it. Nor does it entail it's correct, beneficial or worthy of respect to exercise it.
(a common and regular point of contention when in conversations with folks from the US. No one should disrespect rights. One however may disrespect their being exercised, or more specifically, the timing/reasoning behind said exercising).

So what should have been (but alas is not) self-evident aside, what i was attempting to convey is that while yes, this occurs, no, i do not particularly respect it. A mere, personal, opinion.

One doesn't pick a musical instrument up so as to be the next prodigy (all or nothing), but i would have expected one would have.. some fundamental drive to musically express themselves. Presumably, they are already talking, typing and using body language are they not?
Are there people that have spent or spend their life trying to be the next /insert actor, singer name? Plenty. Does this, on its own, entail respect? No. Not by itself, if you get me by now.

P.S. Before this (a segment as it is), gets out of hand, context; i was referring to pricing, the business "opportunities" thereof and how, to me, personally, ludicrous this is. Itself connected -as stated clearly above- to how worth is valued or given in certain guitars or guitar-related aspects. Which is why i also mentioned the ludicrous prices for, say, a piece of plastic, because "historic". Regardless however, to each their own.
Well just using myself as an example, guitar to me is just a fun toy. I don't use it as a creative outlet at all, it's purely an escape (often from my creative outlets, writing and drawing, which while satisfying are often very frustrating). So yeah, I draw the line at relicing and $120 dollar pickup rings, but I like chasing tone and buying nice gear, even though the extent of its use is basically learning to bang out my favorite songs (usually minus the solos), and I never really concern myself with writing or performing or doing anything "legitimate." Guitar is something I never get mad at or frustrated with, it's like a sponge that just soaks all of those emotions up out of me. If that's not respectable well then whatever.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score

7FBCEA22-98D4-495B-8A2E-4A70719C1799.jpeg

Meatwad

Reaction score
This seems very familiar.....but then again, time is a flat circle.

Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again.

It's all true.
That's how I ended up with 3 Strats.

rogue3

Reaction score
Am in my early forties and have always been close to music and audio.
But i am not a musician...

So enter my finally being able to realise another desire when it comes to music, ie have both time and budget to actually learn how to play; guitar for me.

...discard at leasure...
ok i did a takeaway. Leave the rest behind,start learning.Pontificating about it doesn't move you forward.

A,B,C,D,E,F,G. Its a circle.That is it.simple,huh? Then as it unfolds,you will get to the notes in between. Learn how they interact with each other(chords).Peel the layers away,bit by bit, the more you learn as it applies to guitar playing and music.
You will try to understand the worlds oldest study of sequencing, musical notation.Choose your language(music type),and study it.

But i warn you,your starting post tells me you will quit,after a first attempt.sooner than later.
That is your challenge.
If you don't have the motivation,you won't find it here, talking about it.

The "research" you mentioned is balderdash,if your goal really is to learn to play.good luck...

A starting point...first note: "A" G string,second fret. go from there.

again,good luck.jmho,take it for what it is worth.

oh,yeah,the original question.Sure,its all about character...the character of perseverance.

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
This seems very familiar.....but then again, time and earth are a flat circle.

Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again.

Fixed..........

Latest Threads