is hide glue really made from animal hides? (vegan concerns) and other questions.

GeeJay

Reaction score
really a great bunch of guys here... i'd be happy to buy any of you a beer!

... Presumably a beer that uses non animal product derived finings.

Not knocking you in anyway of course, veganism as a life choice takes quite a bit of dedication IMHO, so hats off.

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
... Presumably a beer that uses non animal product derived finings.

Not knocking you in anyway of course, veganism as a life choice takes quite a bit of dedication IMHO, so hats off.

Vegetarian/vegan beer is easy to find - just avoid the awful tinned stuff ;) 25 years a veggie here although I'm not vegan. I enjoy pizza too much for that!

Back to the guitar, Mother of Pearl inlays are possibly a worse problem for a vegan than use of hide glue.... I know USA are acrylic but do the custom shop use MOP?

solteroblues

Reaction score
you had better get rid of that pignose amp, then!

Hahahahaha! I'm here all week!

Tomsmenace

Reaction score
So. I'm late to the thread. To me it is a mystery why anyone would want an electric guitar made with hide glue. I suppose it is historical accuracy that is important but after maintaining my upright bass for years and having to heat/melt/apply/thin hide glue on a regular basis I can't imagine the benefit of making it part of a solid-body instrument.

I'm sure there is a mystique to having the spirit of a dead horse reside in your guitar. Where are the sound files so I can hear the difference? :laugh2:

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
So. I'm late to the thread. To me it is a mystery why anyone would want an electric guitar made with hide glue. I suppose it is historical accuracy that is important but after maintaining my upright bass for years and having to heat/melt/apply/thin hide glue on a regular basis I can't imagine the benefit of making it part of a solid-body instrument.

I'm sure there is a mystique to having the spirit of a dead horse reside in your guitar. Where are the sound files so I can hear the difference? :laugh2:

Because as hide glue dries, it contracts and sucks the parts glued closer together. Regular wood glue doesn't react the same, and can actually repel parts. But it is easier to work with than hide glue. No heating, easy to apply and longer working times are a few things.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Vegetarian/vegan beer is easy to find - just avoid the awful tinned stuff ;) 25 years a veggie here although I'm not vegan. I enjoy pizza too much for that!

Back to the guitar, Mother of Pearl inlays are possibly a worse problem for a vegan than use of hide glue.... I know USA are acrylic but do the custom shop use MOP?
Yes.

rikko

Reaction score
I say with all due respect-

(And in case you hadn't seen in the Backstage)

The Earth is a giant cheeseburger...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Hide glue is the same as bone glue or just simply animal glue.
It's made from gelatine

Hides are usually used for medicinal/culinairy gelatine.
Bones are more likely to be used to make glue though.

P.S. Each pig would leave about 10kg of waste extra, if people didn't make gelatine. No animals are slaughtered just for the production of gelatine.
It's usefull by-product.

Some other parts taken/made from animals on our guitars are "bone nuts" and some of the better inlays...
I have a very nice leather strap as well.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Does no one care about the trees? They don't have the luxury of waiting until they die.:hippie:

dspelman

Reaction score
Just so you know, no animals are slaughtered in the process. Hide glue is usually made from the hides of animals (horses) that have died of natural causes.

Bolshoi.

Hide glue is an adhesive made out of the connective tissues, bones and hides of animals (mainly cattle) that have gone to the slaughterhouse. It's extracted by "cooking" raw stocks to obtain glue liquors that are filtered, evaporated to glue solids and then dried before grinding. When you buy hide glue, it comes in hard yellow-orange granules or pellets.

Where do you get this nonsense about "natural causes?"

Scubaman

Reaction score
To the OP kudos and still too your beliefs....

My dream guitar was always a Eric Johnson Stratocaster, I was just about to pick one up and noticed the kokopelli on the neckplate.

My religious beliefs, I refuse to own a guitar that has or ever has had a pagan god on it.....so I understand where you are coming from.

I guess all Strats (in fact all double cuts) are out of the question then as they could be seen to represent Devil Horns! Plus don't forget that you can set the controls to 666.

Sanity protect us from bronze age superstitions :facepalm:

winexprt

Reaction score
I think as long as you don't eat the guitar, you will maintain your vegan status. :D

/kidding.

Malchik

Reaction score
Deforestation probably has more a negative effect on animals than horse scraps.

edselman

Reaction score
I am also a vegan and started the practice seriously (just dabbled before. It was really my wife's thing) about five years ago following a heart attack. I became determined that wasn't going to happen to me again. So my initial reason was health. Since that time, I have lost weight as a result. My overall cholesterol has dropped to 118, and I have not had a cold or flu in four years. However, I have only just recently began seeing the animal cruelty issues as relevant, as well as the damage to the environment caused by the meat and dairy industry. Well, I could go on and on. In spite of this, I still own some leather shoes and belts and would not hesitate to buy an R8 with hide glue if I could afford it. I guess I'm a hypocrite. But my journey has been a slow evolution. I commend the OP on his faithfulness to the cause and would suggest that each of you at least think about the issues here and do some research. This could be a life changer for some and keep some of you out of an early grave. It really works.

Latest Threads